Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 03:05 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times

Advertisements

Follow along, you are thirsty, the sun is beating down on your head, the sweat is rolling off you and the thermostat reads 99 degrees and it is only 10 am. You are drinking gallons of liquids and nothing is quenching your thirst. The beaches are so hot you could fry an egg on the sand, if you could find enough space on the beaches where all have flocked for relief. It is so hot they are cutting back on the electric so even your home is warmer than usual, the ice cream cone you bought is melting faster than you can eat it.

Now don't you feel a lot better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:42 PM

374 posts, read 518,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Follow along, you are thirsty, the sun is beating down on your head, the sweat is rolling off you and the thermostat reads 99 degrees and it is only 10 am. You are drinking gallons of liquids and nothing is quenching your thirst. The beaches are so hot you could fry an egg on the sand, if you could find enough space on the beaches where all have flocked for relief. It is so hot they are cutting back on the electric so even your home is warmer than usual, the ice cream cone you bought is melting faster than you can eat it.

Now don't you feel a lot better?
Great perspective!

If there is something we humans all enjoy, it's complaining about the weather.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:36 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times
I cannot decide what I cannot stand more: a hot summer day like Nuts just described, or the forecast we have for this entire week. I'm very intolerant of heat and humidity and also extreme cold--like what we're having now.

I'm definitely a "fall and spring" kind of person!

Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,795,481 times
After 14 hours of fixing and thawing pipes today, and 12 yesterday, plus many more tomorrow, I can't wait for summer... I'd rather sweat than shiver, but that's me.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:30 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,220,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
After 14 hours of fixing and thawing pipes today, and 12 yesterday, plus many more tomorrow, I can't wait for summer... I'd rather sweat than shiver, but that's me.
But how did you feel when sweat was running off you face in the summer?

Old 02-17-2015, 02:03 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
My only disappointment today was that I was quite bummed out that I could make a snowman.!!!! DH just commented to a NY friend that we had not had enough snow to make a snowball and now this. Oh well.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:10 AM

66 posts, read 120,800 times
I lived in Syracuse, NY (aka Snow City, USA) for the first 26 years of my life until my wife and I compromised on moving to Delaware. The word compromise is important to this story. You see, my wife hates the cold, always has and always will. She grew up in Charlotte, NC for 11 years until she moved to Syracuse. Ever since, she's yearned to get back to a place where it rarely snows and the temperature doesn't drop below freezing during a 5 month stretch of the year. I on the other hand love seasons and hate being hot so when she decided to look out of state for a teaching job due to NY's terrible job market, we had to compromise. We needed a place where the weather was more moderate overall. No super cold and super snowy winters and no blistering hot, the humidity is killing me summers. Delaware was the perfect fit weather wise. I used to come to Delaware frequently as a teenager with my best friend's family at all different times of the year so I had an idea of what it was like. My wife and I honeymooned in Lewes/Rehoboth and she fell in love with the area. So, she applied for jobs with a few districts and got a few job offers shortly there after. We live in Smyrna now and while we don't love the area, we like where it is in the state relative to the beaches and places up north.

But after 4 winters, some very mild and others not so much, I look at my wife every day and concede "You were right." Despite the lack of snow and shortened cold spells compared to where I'm originally from, I can't do this any more. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older but I just can't stand being cold. I have no interest in going out to shovel after spending hours and hours of my youth doing it. I have no interest in needing to start my car 10 minutes before I have to leave so I don't freeze on the way to work. I have no interest in having to bundle up to go outside. We shouldn't have moved here in the first place. Don't get me wrong, some of my best memories from my youth and now are from being here. But memories can be made anywhere.

So to make a long story short and to answer your question: Yes, it is cold enough for me. Cold enough to make me want to move.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I'm sick of the cold weather....as an avid runner, it really puts a damper on things!

I'm cooking a big breakfast this morning-- not much else planned other than putting away the V-Day decor and breaking out the St. Patty's Day stuff.

So, become an avid ice skater then!

Old 02-18-2015, 02:37 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times
BadgerFilms--Good suggestion!

I understand what you're saying, Disom. I've started really disliking winter ever since I became an avid runner a little over a year ago. Winter only interfered with my kayaking and biking before, but I could at least still go hiking. Now that I'm a competitive runner.....winter makes me grumpy. Snow, ice, and frigid cold = treadmill runs, which I loathe. Now, I did go out running in the snow today for the first time ever since it was a balmy 34 degrees, and I had fun! However, it's not something I want to do on a regular basis.

As stated, both my husband and I are born and raised Delawareans. He's 38 and I'm 40, and living here is all we know. Now granted...this winter is NOT normal and it has been quite cold. I remind myself of this. However, I keep finding myself looking at pics of us vacationing in southwest Florida and Key West and keep thinking how much I'd LOVE to be there from January until late March. The thing is....that's really the only months I like the weather there! It's just too dang hot and humid the rest of the time--which I despise more than being cold. We'd like to be snowbirds, but our employment won't allow this. I don't really mind Florida during the summer because let's face it....it's hot and humid here too (except for last summer, which was such a treat!). But-- I'd rather be in DE during the spring and fall. The husband is dead set on retiring in Florida...me? Not so much, mainly because of the heat and humidity...and year-round BUGS. We looked into the Carolinas, but we both hate fireworks (meaning that anybody can buy them and set them off) and smoking. Fireworks are legal in both and neither state has an indoor smoking ban. No thanks.

So for now, I'll keep playing the lottery and hoping that we can somehow escape winter and flock to Florida every year from January through March! Heck, then we'll return again from June until September to escape the dreaded tourist season here !

Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,220,694 times
2 hour school delay today. It must be cold. I did not see any of the Middle Schoolers or High Schoolers wearing shorts at the bus stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware