Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:29 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Dover is ok, but it has a considerable amount of crime and gang activity for a small town. If you move there make sure you research the neighborhood you are moving to very thoroughly.
Yes! And Google Earth does not count as research. Many of the roughest neighborhoods in Dover look very pleasant from satellite imagery. Or maybe my geographer side is taking over. Who knows anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Dover is ok, but it has a considerable amount of crime and gang activity for a small town. If you move there make sure you research the neighborhood you are moving to very thoroughly.
I would recommend Middletown over Dover. It is a little smaller but there are still things to do. Middletown is also closer to Wilmington and the Newark area where most of the professional level jobs in DE are located.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Yes! And Google Earth does not count as research. Many of the roughest neighborhoods in Dover look very pleasant from satellite imagery. Or maybe my geographer side is taking over. Who knows anymore!
All towns have their bit of crime and gang activity, and Dover is only one of them. My job entails going in and out of houses, in all the subdivisions and towns in Kent County, and I've been researching the City of Dover for 74 years. Nothing beats going to visit a town/city, and including a visit to the City Police Department. Ask questions, and they will show you the crime pockets. Forget Google, or any of those other sites.

Last edited by rdlr; 03-23-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Hello all,

I am at a point in my life where I can choose where I want to live - be it stay where I am, or move elsewhere.

So a little about me:
- I'm single, in my 20s
- I am very politically active, Republican
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
For my own selfish reasons.......I would love for you to come and explore our area, starting with Dover. Delaware is a friendly state. I will go out on a limb, though, and say that it is not as friendly as it was when I was growing up here (that's my personal comparison after being here a lifetime). Delaware is changing, as you've probably read.

I would never discourage a young person from coming here. Added to that, we desperately need young people of your political persuasian! We have a very active Young Republicans Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutbehindyou1992 View Post
Also another young republican considering DE! Beautiful state close to big city stuff but far enough that there isn't wall to wall traffic and living in a tiny apartment isn't the only affordable option, oh and open space!
Hey Delly, we are making progress, one vote at a time!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 AM

536 posts, read 822,571 times
How is the commute from the beaches to Dover? Are they under 45-50 minutes? Is there more to do in the beach towns than in Dover? Also what about commute from Middletown to Dover?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:25 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
How is the commute from the beaches to Dover? Are they under 45-50 minutes? Is there more to do in the beach towns than in Dover? Also what about commute from Middletown to Dover?
It's about 50 minutes from Lewes in traffic. More from Dewey and even further from Bethany. Fenwick to Dover is close to 1.5 hours. I can tell you there is probably less to do for young people at the DE beaches than in Dover. Unless you want to surf and drink a lot, you might actually be better off getting your life started and situated in Dover. The beaches is an easy move down the road, especially once you get some work experience and can break into the DE beaches tourism market (which based on your career focus is what I'm assuming may happen). That market is very talented fyi.

I'm a huge advocate for beach life, but based on what you have said in this thread I'm not sure it is for you just yet.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,396 times
Smile me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Hey Delly, we are making progress, one vote at a time!

I am the same political persuasion, though no longer young. Looks like Magnolia for me, though, but close enough. And I do vote. Glad to hear of young folks with a conservative leaning.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:37 PM

319 posts, read 504,462 times
Quote:

I would recommend Middletown over Dover. It is a little smaller but there are still things to do. Middletown is also closer to Wilmington and the Newark area where most of the professional level jobs in DE are located.
If it is of any help, while browsing around various web-sites, I found that Dover police has posted their 2014 annual report.

https://doverpolicenews.files.wordpr...ual-report.pdf

As others have commented, they can certainly tell you the crime hotspots. You can also
examine the police logs and crime maps.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
All towns have their bit of crime and gang activity, and Dover is only one of them. My job entails going in and out of houses, in all the subdivisions and towns in Kent County, and I've been researching the City of Dover for 74 years. Nothing beats going to visit a town/city, and including a visit to the City Police Department. Ask questions, and they will show you the crime pockets. Forget Google, or any of those other sites.
I would also recommend checking out neighborhoods during the summer months. Some neighborhoods in Dover (and many other cities) seem safe during the winter months, but explode with crime during the hot summer months.

Also visit the local convenience stores/gas stations. If the store attendant is enclosed in a bullet-proof glass box, that's probably not an area you want to live in.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:32 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
[quote=kdb05f;38938451]How is the commute from the beaches to Dover? Are they under 45-50 minutes? Is there more to do in the beach towns than in Dover? /quote]

The time to commute would depend on when. January weekday no problem. Summer weekend it could take 45minutes to get from Midway to the beach. There is much more to do in the area than in Dover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware