Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Delaware part of the North or the South?
South 9 8.41%
North 39 36.45%
Neither, it's Mid-Alantic 44 41.12%
Depends Where You Are 13 12.15%
Other 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 04:43 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times

Advertisements

Definitely the North.

The mid-Atlantic thing is, to my west coast mind, a frivolity at best, non-existent at worst.

IMHO, DC is the dividing line. DC and points north are the Northeast, points south are the South and Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 06:54 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,990,451 times
When I first heard of it, "Mid-Atlantic" meant
the Northeast excluding New England,
i.e. NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE and DC.
So Mid-Atlantic and New England
together make up the Northeast.

Old 10-14-2023, 09:04 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
The North. And - it's Mid-Atlantic.

Old 10-14-2023, 09:05 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
North. Anyone who says south needs an IQ test. Personally I consider anything below DC's Virginia suburbs to be south. Virginia DC suburbs and up is north.
This.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:42 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Definitely the North.

The mid-Atlantic thing is, to my west coast mind, a frivolity at best, non-existent at worst.

IMHO, DC is the dividing line. DC and points north are the Northeast, points south are the South and Southeast.
Disagree. The boonies of southern Delaware are definitely southern.

This could easily be anywhere in NC.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5585...6656?entry=ttu

I think too many people are focusing on Wilmington and not the entire state.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:48 AM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
South of the Mason-Dixon Line, is what I have heard.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:53 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
BUT there has been quite a shift in the population of the state of DE due to an over-explosion of housing being built and sold to out of staters. So now it's become a schizo state, with a great north/south divide between the natives and a really big impact from the incoming population, who center on the shore and move out from there. If they continue to build at the rate they have been, the incomers will very soon outnumber the natives. Rehoboth Beach is one of the gay-friendliest places I have ever been to, and while we still have Christian schools and creationist meetings at the libraries, and plenty of confederate flags (which are now being challenged), the population is tending toward a mix.

All while we still have slaves - only now they're called illegal immigrants and are being used by the big chicken industry. They're outnumbered by legal immigrants who are being used by the chicken industry, and after home buyers looking for lower taxes, they are the second demographic to threaten to outnumber the native population.

So whatever Delaware WAS, what it is now, and will be going forward, is going to be quite different. Anyone wanting to be southern will have to move south.

Old 10-18-2023, 06:03 AM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Disagree. The boonies of southern Delaware are definitely southern.

This could easily be anywhere in NC.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5585...6656?entry=ttu

I think too many people are focusing on Wilmington and not the entire state.
Meh. The built environment (like those houses) still have a very Northeastern flare. Stars n bars are in a lot of places we don’t normally consider Southern (big parts of places like Illinois, Ohio, and not just the southern parts of those states, plus more), so I don’t consider that to be a necessary signifier; conversely stars n bars are less prevalent in some really southern areas like East Texas than many people seem to like to think. I’m not even a native Southerner, but that’s an annoying stereotype which needs to go away, like thinking us Californians are all tree-hugging surfers.

Being the incorporation capital of the US (world?) also tends towards a (very arguable) northeastern leaning, as ties to finance and big business historically tended to be up in that corner of the country.

Put another way, if you randomly picked a street view photo (not so selective as the one you used), or dropped my onto a street and took my blindfold off, it’s likely I’d say “yup, I’m somewhere in the Northeast”.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:43 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times
This thread has been a big BOOM for this City Data site! It just goes, on and on, and on.

I'm still around, after all these years, and still feel like a southerner. That's all that matters to me. When I was a toddler, and born in Wilmington, DE, my mother told me we were moving to the South......Below the Ditch....(AKA the Chesapeake/Delaware Canal...St. George's Bridge). From living in Smyrna (Kent County) on farms 160 acres+, I'm now living even farther South.......(South of Dover, DE). Whether I'm a Southerner, a Hick, or a Farmer, I think and talk differently from most Northerners. We can be whatever we want to be!

Last edited by rdlr; 10-18-2023 at 07:55 AM..

Old 10-21-2023, 10:29 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandono24 View Post
Delaware had slavery, Delaware had Jim Crow. That sounds southern to me, anyone who disagrees needs to read a history book.
That doesn't determine north or south. Massachusetts had slaves, so did New York. Massachusetts also had Jim Crow laws in 1841. Maybe you need to read the right history books. Yes, they abolished Slavery earlier than southern states were forced to but that doesn't determine north or south. However, the Census bureau does consider it the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware