Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 01:15 PM

47 posts, read 86,580 times

Advertisements

Been considering moving to Delaware, because it has a lot of upsides to it.

However, the one major drawback I'm seeing is that it seems to be considered a "Retirement" state. I run a small Plumbing business, and 100% of my advertising is online...and older generations don't tend to use the internet anywhere near as much as their younger counterparts, so I might not be able to compete with the large corporate-owned places there that use traditional advertising.

Also, I have young children, so not really looking to go somewhere where families are a rare thing.

Is everywhere in Delaware mostly the "older generation"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 02:36 PM

13,376 posts, read 27,097,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tounces7 View Post
No, most of Deleware is not older. You can check that with City-data profiles. Kent and New Castle Counties have an average age of about 36 years, which is the same as the state average. Kent includes the city of Dover, with many younger military folks. New Castle (the Wilmington area) includes many young professionals and students. Sussex County in the south is where most of the retired folks cluster, and the average age there is 45 years.

So don't give up on Delaware, just be selective with your marketing. Many older people do use the Internet, but I think it is wise to use traditional media like Yellow Pages.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-16-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 10:05 AM

The only reason small businesses such as myself don't really use yellow page ads as much, is because they are VERY expensive. Like a small ad is like 20,000 a year. I would have to raise my prices quite a bit to afford to advertise there, and I hate doing that.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:55 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,565,262 times
Quote:
The only reason small businesses such as myself don't really use yellow page ads as much, is because they are VERY expensive. Like a small ad is like 20,000 a year. I would have to raise my prices quite a bit to afford to advertise there, and I hate doing that.
Don't worry, I don't know any seniors that actually use the yellow pages. Most of us rely on Angie's list and getting positive feedback from neighbors. Several of the communities have "Nextdoor" and ask for recommendations for plumbers, , handymen etc. by using Nextdoor to contact immediate neighbors.

There is a shortage of "good" plumbers and other skilled small business owners in Sussex County and they are in high demand - particularly when there is an influx of part time owners who want work done to get their home ready for the beach season.

Those small business owners who take care of you in an emergency and at a reasonable price (such as a burst pipe) are the individuals who you call again for non emergency work such as when they are remodeling a bathroom or kitchen and need your services.

Mary2014

PS: Locals I know prefer to support the local small business owner with a good reputation rather than take their chances on a contractor sent out by the big box stores.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:22 AM

9,734 posts, read 14,290,471 times
Quote:
Been considering moving to Delaware, because it has a lot of upsides to it.

However, the one major drawback I'm seeing is that it seems to be considered a "Retirement" state. I run a small Plumbing business, and 100% of my advertising is online...and older generations don't tend to use the internet anywhere near as much as their younger counterparts, so I might not be able to compete with the large corporate-owned places there that use traditional advertising.

Also, I have young children, so not really looking to go somewhere where families are a rare thing.

No, not everywhere in Delaware consists of mostly the older generation.

Having said that, Delaware is quickly becoming the next Florida, for the elderly. There have been many recent articles written by Delawareans and those in Delaware government. Our roadways were not built to service this large influx of people. Taxes will certainly be going up, sometime. Here's only one of the artlcles (Graying Delaware) of which there are many. It is a concern, for sure. Having been here in Delaware a lifetime (since 1940) I have watched all of this transpire.

The graying of Delaware will be costly

Old 05-17-2015, 12:22 PM

Is Angie's list really that popular there? That's good in one sense of course, because it's online and free. The only challenge is getting reviews on Angie's list when you don't already have reviews on Angie's list. Sort of a chicken and egg thing.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:34 PM

9,734 posts, read 14,290,471 times
Quote:
Is Angie's list really that popular there? That's good in one sense of course, because it's online and free. The only challenge is getting reviews on Angie's list when you don't already have reviews on Angie's list. Sort of a chicken and egg thing.
Not with locals and/or natives, that's for sure.

I never understood asking a website for local references, in seaching for plumbers, handymen, etc. Ask a local! But that's my old-time Delawarean advice.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:54 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,565,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Not with locals and/or natives, that's for sure.

I never understood asking a website for local references, in seaching for plumbers, handymen, etc. Ask a local! But that's my old-time Delawarean advice.
Angie's list is a starting point for those of us who have recently moved here. Sort of a substitute for the yellow pages. The plumber I found with great (well deserved) reviews recommended an electrician who was not on Angie's list. The painter I found on Angie's list ( also exceptional), recommended someone who did my custom drapes (who was not on Angie's list). I eventually found out about "Nextdoor" and from that point I could ask for recommendations from people in my specific community.

If you have lived in the area for a very long time, you will over time know who to hire and who to avoid, who does good work and who doesn't, who is reasonably priced and who is not. For those of us who are new to the area it is a learning process.

Mary2014

Old 05-17-2015, 02:11 PM

So far as I can see from their website, a "Nextdoor" community doesn't even exist where I live, so I'm guessing it's not used here. How does it work?

And I'm relatively new to Colorado Springs, too.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,427,780 times
Quote:
I thought there was a fee to view information on Angie's List? I went to their site, but it won't give you the price unless you create an account. Arrrggghhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware