Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,566 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am conducting my own market research, as I am considering opening a new thrift store in either Millsboro or Long Neck. I know Millsboro already has a few, which is why I considered Long Neck. I am trying to gauge the public's response to this, and better understand the needs of the area.

My long term goal would be to aide in costs of medications for senior citizens in the local area. I would also like to provide general help to, say single mothers who need school supplies or clothing for their children. But in order to reach that goal, I have to know if a thrift store would be successful.

Any feedback that anyone living in the area could give me would be greatly appreciated. I have seen three different thrift stores open in Millsboro, on Main Street, and each one has failed. It makes me wonder... was it location, as parking wasn't readily available, or lack of planning on the store owners part? Is the market not there, or is the Christian Store house just to large of a competitor?

Thanks for taking the time to read, and thanks in advance for any responses given.

All the Best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:18 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,226,095 times
I think at this point downtown parking in Millsboro would be a killer for any business. I could see getting a lot of donations on Long Neck but not as many buyers as some other locations.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,566 times
Default I thought the same thing!

Thanks for your quick response. I thought the same thing about Long Neck. But, on the other hand, I've also noticed the Dollar General for the most part stays packed. And Dollar Tree doesn't seem to do to bad either, which would lead me to believe there are those in Long Neck that like a good deal, and are bargain shoppers. I've also considered the possibility of the Pot Nets weekend crew (those that come into town just for the weekend escapes). Some of the appeal of thrift stores is the "scavenger hunt" aspect. You never know what you may find. So... it's possible that even though they may not shop because of bargains, they could possibly be interested for that one unique something. If I put my store close, with a nice display, it's possible they could be lured in.... lol... as you can tell, I'm still very back and forth about it.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:05 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,226,095 times
AH yes bargain hunters. How about yard sales. There is a house on RT24 just past Holly Lake that has a huge yard sale almost every weekend. They have no sign and most of the mdse is back behind cars. Saturday mornings there are cars parked on both sides of the road even off season. (ALmost every weekend).

Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 AM

9,739 posts, read 14,296,191 times
I've been to the one I've noted below, which is near Long Neck. Not very busy when I was there, and I only stopped by once.
Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: