Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,347 times

Advertisements

Interesting comments of Cecil County and Elkton. I have relatives in the Elkton area. They are definitely very geared to Northern Delaware. My Uncle worked in Wilmington for years, and lived in MD near Elkton the whole time. He still has an easypass for the DE Turnpike in his car, in fact.

From where my Uncle and Aunt live near Elkton, it is, like has been said, pretty close to anywhere in Northern DE. My relatives who live all around Wilmington are literally just down the road, and even my South Jersey relatives aren't that far away.

As far as speech pattern, Elkton is definitely part of the Northern DE/South Jersey/Philly area speech pattern, and not part of Delmarva South of the C&D canal. All of my relatives definitely drink a glass of "wooder", and none of them say "y'all". They also support the Philly sports teams, especially when they play Baltimore!!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:02 AM

11 posts, read 43,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The northern arc boundary was originally dictated by Charles II's younger brother, at that time Duke of York and later the ill-fated James II (overthrown in the Glorious Revolution and replaced by co-regnants William III and Mary II). Mason and Dixon did survey another "vertical" boundary between Maryland and Delaware. There had historically been difficulty getting the northern arc to line up properly with the north to south line defining the MD-DE border and I think Mason and Dixon reconciled that, but with a slight "jog" or irregularity in the border. There's plenty on the web about this topic, but I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.
While I don't disagree with your comments above, that certainly is not what is offered as history by some. For that matter, a recent feature in the Snooze Journal asserted the failure of the 12 mile arc to match up with the Western border of DE, thus creating the infamous "wedge".

Then again, while there is a ton of information on the web as you cited, there is also much disinformation posted by folks who just believe that their parents/grandparents/whomever knew more about history than that which has been recorded.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
William Penn's royal charter for a colony was given by the then-Duke of York, later James II of England/VII of Scotland, who had title to those particular parts of North America (why this was the case, rather than title being held by King Charles II, I don't know). Penn wasn't really interested in the land that came to comprise the three lower counties of Pennsylvania (and subsequently the territory of the State of Delaware), but needed it in order to get access to the territory to the immediate northwest that was to form the bulk of his colony. Delaware's southern boundary actually should have been farther to the north, but there was some mistake in interpretation that caused the southern boundary ultimately to be set farther into what actually should have been part of Maryland. The lower counties of Pennsylvania - the future Delaware - got legislative home-rule in the early 18thC, though continued under the executive authority of the governor of PA. DE didn't fully separate itself from PA until shortly before the Declaration of Independence.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 AM

25 posts, read 112,065 times
I believe the state of Delaware should be divded into two parts. New Castles should join Pennsylvania while Kent county and Sussex County should join Maryland.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
IMO DE has a local culture that is certainly different to the culture(s) existing in the different regions of PA. Perhaps there's somewhat greater affinity between southeast MD and DE, but really-- why on earth would DE want to hook up with the corruption, excessive levels of government, and taxes of PA, or with the tax-heavy regime in MD? Let's keep to reality, rather than trotting out silly fantasies of DE breaking up and merging with neighboring states.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,737 times
Having both parents raised in Philly, born in Camden, NJ, and myself raised in Wilmington, DE, I consider Delaware *overall* a northern state or at least mostly one.

New Castle County: 529,641
Entire State: 873,092
(US Census, 2008)

By these numbers, the majority reside within New Castle County anyway, so wouldn't that conclude that Delaware (culturally) is northern? I would have to agree with several of you, that it seems Delaware is truely a mix, predominately northern with a southern flair added in. I currently live in southern Virginia, and I can truely say that NOBODY HERE views Delaware as a southern state.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 AM

11 posts, read 43,611 times
Quote:
I believe the state of Delaware should be divded into two parts. New Castles should join Pennsylvania while Kent county and Sussex County should join Maryland.
If anything, the Delmarva Peninisula should all be given to DE.

Quote:
Having both parents raised in Philly, born in Camden, NJ, and myself raised in Wilmington, DE, I consider Delaware *overall* a northern state or at least mostly one.

(US Census, 2008)

By these numbers, the majority reside within New Castle County anyway, so wouldn't that conclude that Delaware (culturally) is northern? I would have to agree with several of you, that it seems Delaware is truely a mix, predominately northern with a southern flair added in. I currently live in southern Virginia, and I can truely say that NOBODY HERE views Delaware as a southern state.
I think Delaware, as a whole, reflects the social and cultural facets of the original colonies. Think about it. New Castle reflects the industrial business-like Northeast Corridor, Kent is that of the common mix of small business and agriculture of Midatlantic region and Sussex as the laid back South. And in the past 20 years, so many from New Castle County have moved to Sussex, there is an eerie resemblence of how the Northerners overtook Atlanta (again) to reflect a more Northern society amidst the culture of the Deep South.

Of course, this is JMHO

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderpaidWorker View Post

(US Census, 2008)

I live in Kent county and consider this lower slower. Some don't agree but for me , coming from Philly, It is lower slower

Some in De do have a southern accent. Although, technically it is not southern.
I like to think of De as an in between state....the middle state.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 PM

12 posts, read 49,991 times
Delaware held slaves in Sussex County. The marker is not far from where I live in Delmar area. Check out The Brick Hotel in Georgetown De website. There is a great story on there somewhere about how there were two bars on the circle. One Union and the other Confederate. They would get drunk and have fights in the middle of the circle.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 PM

12 posts, read 49,991 times
Mason Dixon Line Check out this site. Looks like Delaware is in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware