Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:20 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
2002 Subaru--mostly white heroin/pill junkies causing problems in Long Neck, throw in some crack cocaine and psychedelics here and there. Long Neck has always been primarily Caucasian. Yes, also ex-cons (mostly white) like to rent mobile homes there and stuff as many as they can in one.
There is at least one section eight housing complex as well--you can see it on route 24. Oh, and a there is a "Connections" which is a methadone clinic.

To summarize: Mostly trashy white people causing problems.....
There is a section behind Grotto's which I believe is also Section 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 04:01 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
2002 Subaru--mostly white heroin/pill junkies causing problems in Long Neck, throw in some crack cocaine and psychedelics here and there. Long Neck has always been primarily Caucasian. Yes, also ex-cons (mostly white) like to rent mobile homes there and stuff as many as they can in one.
There is at least one section eight housing complex as well--you can see it on route 24. Oh, and a there is a "Connections" which is a methadone clinic.

To summarize: Mostly trashy white people causing problems.....
Damn, it's a shame there's Section 8 in what sounds like such a nice area.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:06 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times
Yes, lots of section eight in Sussex, even at/near the beach. They have it in Lewes and Rehoboth too. My area and Fenwick are two of the few resort areas without it.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:23 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Yes, lots of section eight in Sussex, even at/near the beach. They have it in Lewes and Rehoboth too. My area and Fenwick are two of the few resort areas without it.
Well, they deserve the opportunity to live in nice areas, too. I'm thinking Delaware is probably off our retirement list ...

Old 05-11-2017, 10:43 AM

FWIW, I can say that my area is very safe. One of the reasons I chose to move here was because it's ranked as top five in the state for low crime and there isn't any section eight anywhere within a ten mile radius. Closest is Frankford.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:44 PM

48 posts, read 84,426 times
Default Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I'm thinking Delaware is probably off our retirement list ...
Me too. I'm truly disappointed, I had my heart set on DE but after reading about all the crime, I'm a widow and I just would not feel safe, especially sleeping at night. Any little sound and I'd think someone was breaking in. I'm also concerned about the services and the infrastructure. There are so many people pouring into DE (mainly retiree's)and with all the development going on, a whole new infrastructure is going to have to be instituted to support it all and that will takes years to plan and achieve. Also, the taxes will def. have to go up, because there's no other way to pay for it even if they do have a surplus in the budget, it will not nearly be enough. I've also read where some long time residents of DE on here are looking to leave DE. When I read that, I didn't know what to think anymore

Old 05-11-2017, 10:33 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyZZ View Post
Me too. I'm truly disappointed, I had my heart set on DE but after reading about all the crime, I'm a widow and I just would not feel safe, especially sleeping at night. Any little sound and I'd think someone was breaking in. I'm also concerned about the services and the infrastructure. There are so many people pouring into DE (mainly retiree's)and with all the development going on, a whole new infrastructure is going to have to be instituted to support it all and that will takes years to plan and achieve. Also, the taxes will def. have to go up, because there's no other way to pay for it even if they do have a surplus in the budget, it will not nearly be enough. I've also read where some long time residents of DE on here are looking to leave DE. When I read that, I didn't know what to think anymore
I would not consider leaving Delaware..As far as infrastructure goes you are all too right. Many of these new developments are being built on what have been nice country back roads. Now these pleasant curvy two lane roads are getting crowded. Rt 24 off season has heavy traffic
. As far as crime goes even on Long Neck I feel quite safe. While we pay for the privilege of living here in Pot Nets .we do have multiple security units on patrol 24/7. Properties must be kept up to certain standards and renting homes is strictly prohibited.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:39 AM

Longnecker--you are lucky! Wish they would ban renters in here. Renters, partying weekenders, and "displaced family members" (bums sponging off family) are our biggest issues in my development and my area in general.

Yep-infrastructure is a joke and has been for quite some time. We no longer really have an off season where I live; there are not enough stores in my area for the masses as well. Everything is crowded. However, if you move here from an urban area then the traffic won't really be a big deal--especially if you don't work and can travel during off peak hours.

I am one of the natives moving away in less than six years when my husband retires. Crime isn't the reason though as it's not a problem in my town. Lack of proper infrastructure and an increase in dealing with "city attitudes and driving skills" has become too much for us. It's also just become too noisy and chaotic with summers being beyond ridiculous. COL has gone up as well and we wouldn't mind that IF it wasn't for the other issues described....but we'd rather be gouged somewhere else.

Still though....if you are moving here from an urban/congested area, then the beach resort areas won't seem too bad. Both my husband and I are natives and Delaware is all we know. Therefore, the changes affect us more than somebody who moved here from more urban areas.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 AM

320 posts, read 361,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Well, they deserve the opportunity to live in nice areas, too. I'm thinking Delaware is probably off our retirement list ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyZZ View Post

I have to concur. I am very disappointed to hear this along with a rise in taxes. I have to wonder how many have moved there, bought a new home and have no idea of this ? As I hadn't until now. That and IMHO having a small local hospital servicing a large and expanding area.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:09 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
No major crime in our little town, only a bicycle theft last year. Of course, we're in mid Kent County, and in a Mayberry type town. 3 cops walk the beat and we have small-town type activities, which would seem corny to some. We're still within a mile of a major shopping center (don't have to venture out on Rt. 13) and it doesn't hurt that we have a deli, bank, post office, gas station, shops and park within 2-3 blocks. We've been lucky in choosing this location 34 years ago when we were 43 yr. old kids! Now that we're "old" Bayhealth Kent General is a couple miles from us and ambulance service and the fire company are 2 blocks away. Of course, no HOA, the small lot is a cinch to upkeep, and cheap taxes total almost $600 for town and county together. We have our priorities straight.

So, there are choices in Delaware. If, by any chance, if it should snow cats and dogs, and if the cow jumped over the moon.....and if we wanted to go down to the beach area it's a 35-40 minute ride down on a Tuesday or Wednesday (longer time on other days). However, I'd rather collect trash, beer cans, and "other" at Dover Downs Speedway, after a NASCAR race, in the rain, then visit the beach areas, any time.

Last edited by rdlr; 05-13-2017 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware