Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Longnecker--you are lucky! Wish they would ban renters in here. Renters, partying weekenders, and "displaced family members" (bums sponging off family) are our biggest issues in my development and my area in general.

Yep-infrastructure is a joke and has been for quite some time. We no longer really have an off season where I live; there are not enough stores in my area for the masses as well. Everything is crowded. However, if you move here from an urban area then the traffic won't really be a big deal--especially if you don't work and can travel during off peak hours.

I am one of the natives moving away in less than six years when my husband retires. Crime isn't the reason though as it's not a problem in my town. Lack of proper infrastructure and an increase in dealing with "city attitudes and driving skills" has become too much for us. It's also just become too noisy and chaotic with summers being beyond ridiculous. COL has gone up as well and we wouldn't mind that IF it wasn't for the other issues described....but we'd rather be gouged somewhere else.

Still though....if you are moving here from an urban/congested area, then the beach resort areas won't seem too bad. Both my husband and I are natives and Delaware is all we know. Therefore, the changes affect us more than somebody who moved here from more urban areas.
Ya'll well you and RDLR know I'm from up north, so the crime and traffic is something I'm used to, just on a different scale. With so many shootings in Wilmington during the past 5 years, I know we made the right decision in moving to Lewes, it's already been 5 years if you guys can believe it.

The heroin issue is a tough one, and I'm not sure limiting Dr's prescription meds is the right way to go, to me the less Oxy's or Vicodins they give out, the more likely patients or abusers will turn to heroin. My issue isn't the illeagailty of it, as much as Heroin is killing people in normal doses because it's bad heroin. I'm certainly no expert on heroin but apparently if it's pure or close to, an overdose is likely. Don't get me wrong, opioids I'm sure are just as bad but at least you really won't get say a bad Oxycodone.

The infrastructure problem is really obnoxious, when we can down 5 years ago we moved into an established 30 plus year old neighborhood, last year we bought an older home in a 20 plus year old neighborhood. In Angol by the Bay the HOA was a little less than $800 per year, with that you got a marina, tennis ct, basketball ct, clubhouse, and a huge outdoor pool. In Lochwood it's $2-300 per year but I get nothing except snow removal. I do know of new neighborhoods paying $150-225 a month and getting far less than we got in ABTB, so my question is? Do some of those high HOA fees go towards the builder and the overall impact of the neighborhood, like say infrastructure payments? Or is it just for the neighborhood?

It took years, long after the homes were built across from the high school, to have that high school intersection straightened out, something IMHO should have been done when the 100th home was finished, not twice as many, or three times. These builders have gotten away far too long w/o paying their fair share.

The prices of the homes compared to the salaries down here are outrageous, these same houses in say South Carolina or Florida where the salaries would be close to equal to here (lower De) would be priced in the $100-150 thousand dollar range. Here they are $3-400 grand. Of course as you get closer to the coasts in FL or SC, the wages go up a little bit, not here, not even close. If someone has a plumber to their home and he makes $17.00 per hour working for someone, that's actually considered good pay down here, where in Wilmington, 95 miles or two hours north, that was decent money literally 20 plus years ago, the normal pay now up there for a service plumber is $25-32 an hour working for someone and the cost of living isn't any cheaper down here.

Natives like RDLR, and beachliz remember what Bear looked like 35 plus years ago, they remember what Middletown looked like 20 years ago, and Smyrna 10 years ago. What's happening to Lewes, Ocean View, and Milton already happened to those former places and none of us are fans of it. Although they happened for different reasons, those towns blew up due to bussing in Wilmington for the most part, which is a discussion that has taken place many times on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 10:49 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post

The prices of the homes compared to the salaries down here are outrageous, these same houses in say South Carolina or Florida where the salaries would be close to equal to here (lower De) would be priced in the $100-150 thousand dollar range. Here they are $3-400 grand. Of course as you get closer to the coasts in FL or SC, the wages go up a little bit, not here, not even close. If someone has a plumber to their home and he makes $17.00 per hour working for someone, that's actually considered good pay down here, where in Wilmington, 95 miles or two hours north, that was decent money literally 20 plus years ago, the normal pay now up there for a service plumber is $25-32 an hour working for someone and the cost of living isn't any cheaper down here.

Yes, yes, and yes....all so true. We were in Myrtle Beach back in March and saw we could afford a nice, ocean block home there for what I will sell my basic style rancher here for in a few years. Head a few miles inland and we could live in a community like Toll Brothers. Here? 250-300K will get you my basic style rancher, a nice town home, or a new house on a lot smaller than my quarter acre. However, the prices are really creeping up in SW coastal Florida and Big Pine Key....but we could still buy a home nicer than the one we have in OV and it would have an in-ground pool .

The pay down here IS a joke. Then, to add insult to injury, the state income tax my husband and I pay is ludicrous. I expect better infrastructure for all the money the state gets from us. But then, if you move here as a retiree from up north with a pension that corresponds to the much higher wages they make for the same jobs we work.....then the COL here isn't so bad.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
DSP Release Surveillance Photos of Suspect in 4 Long Neck Area Robberies | WGMD

The police arenow saying one person is responsible for all four recent armed robberies in the Long Neck area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware