Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:30 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Thanks RDLR, I snipped a portion of your link to post for those travelers coming down to the beach as a heads up. The rest of the state is in the link.

Sussex County

Route 1 at Munchy Branch Road/Miller Road This is by Walgreens
Route 1 at Old Landing Road This is by Atlantic Liquors
Route 1 at US 9 / Savannah Road This is by the Lighthouse
US 13 at Road 40/Redden Road
US 113 at Route 20

I have received 2 red light tickets in NY. One my fault and one not. The second one I was behind a tall truck and the view of the light was obstructed and I knew as soon as I hit the intersection I was toast. Didn't fight either - too much of a hassle to appear and plead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
If you have a stand alone GPS (I have TomTom) you can get, or might already have red light camera warnings on them. At least you know where they are if you are in an unfamiliar area. The first time we visited the area my GPS started to beep loudly at the light on 13 at the Del Tech intersection in Dover and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I didn't realize that my new GPS had it installed on it. I also use Waze sometimes but I'm not sure that is a feature. I tend to agree about the cameras being dangerous. The driver will slam on his brakes to stop at the light instead of chancing a ticket. If someone is close behind it could be a rear-ender.

I agree with nuts above, being behind a huge truck is also a definite disadvantage as you usually can't see when the light is yellow and keep going through.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I agree with nuts above, being behind a huge truck is also a definite disadvantage as you usually can't see when the light is yellow and keep going through.
If you run a redlight because it is obscured by a huge truck, then you are following too closely.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
If you run a redlight because it is obscured by a huge truck, then you are following too closely.
I did not run a red light. We were stopped waiting for the left turn arrow. Apparently the arrow turned as the truck was into the turn and following behind him (UPS truck size) I could not see the light. If you are in a turning lane and have cars behind you in NY, you will end up in a collision place if you don't move when they do. Secondly, if I admitted to being in the wrong the first time I would have done it the second time.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 06-21-2019 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I did not run a red light. We were stopped waiting for the left turn arrow. Apparently the arrow turned as the truck was into the turn and following behind him (UPS truck size) I could not see the light. If you are in a turning lane and have cars behind you in NY, you will end up in a collision place if you don't move when they do. Secondly, if I admitted to being in the wrong the first time I would have done it the second time.
I’m afraid you don’t need to convince me. You need to tell it to the judge.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:58 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
Red light cameras are a scam and actually lead to more accidents...We had them where I used to live, but the townsfolk would not have it and forced the district to remove them all because they can. They do nothing to enhance the safety of an intersection.
Completely false. Some studies have shown an increase in rear end crashes due to drivers stopping short on yellow, but all studies show a decrease in more severe angle crashes, injuries, and fatalities. Studies also show increases in angle crashes and fatalities in cities that turned off their red light cameras.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/red-light-running

Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Back to the subject at hand, I'm expecting a letter from DMV because 2 days ago, I was following a huge, tall box truck, and was about 2 car lengths behind. Sure enough, he went through a yellow light and I went through a red light. It was such a crowded intersection, that I didn't have time to see if there was a red light camera there, or not. I guess I'll know in a few days.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-23-2019 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned comment

Old 06-22-2019, 09:00 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
I’m afraid you don’t need to convince me. You need to tell it to the judge.

One of the many problems of RLC tickets is you don't get to tell it to a judge. It's civil. You do not have the right to a trial. You are not innocent until proven guilty.

Texas legislature just banned red light cameras statewide. Many large cities had long since done that but there were still some smaller cities and counties using them as revenue generators.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:16 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
NJ does not permit red light cameras for the reasons listed in posts above.

Of note - My town's police force is going to install several license plate readers to track down suspects when a crime is committed. Gun shots fired, drug sale areas, etc. They are paying 90K for the system. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
This was a joke (that fell flat). Mea culpa - I forget many who post in CD are extremely literal. That now hopefully clarified, anyone who drives through a red light has violated the law. Regardless of the circumstances, drivers are required to ensure they have a green light before proceeding, whether there is a camera or not. That just the way it works.

As a native Blue Hen who moved back east after 26 years in Texas, that state has some pretty funky laws. I wouldn’t exactly consider Texas to be a model for other states to follow. It’s one of the reasons I moved.

Sometimes people use a smiley to soften the impact of the bitter truth.

And you're wrong. Many locations allow a right turn on red. In that case you are entering the intersection while the light is red. That just the way it works.

You're also allowed to drive through a yellow light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware