Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 02:13 PM

829 posts, read 628,814 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a thread for posting restaurant news or updates to make it separate from where we've been posting it in the Coronavirus thread.

I drove by the now former location of Jake's on Coastal Highway in Rehoboth (closed Sunday, 9/29) today. Earlier in the week, it had a Goodbye/Thanks type message on the marquee/sign. Today it had a message that said something like COMING SOON - #%*#&?? It will be interesting to see if this could be the potential site of Agave, who ceased construction on the lot on Rehoboth Avenue but have said they're still planning a Rehoboth location, but at a location they couldn't disclose.

Another minor change in restaurant real estate is that the Burger King marquee had "Under Contract" posted for some time, but those words were removed the last time we rode by and an "Available" real estate sign was posted in the front, so I guess that deal fell through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 02:58 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
I will jump in posting the business locations that are vacant now.

TGI Fridays and Palate in the Safeway shopping center are both available.
Pizza Hut
Burger King
Pier One
Forgotten Mile Ale house

Down Town the two Nicola locations will be vacant next fall. There are already a few storefronts that are available downtown and I suspect there will be more soon.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:05 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
And, now a few words from Kent County:

Stargate Diner (Restaurant) is coming back to Harrington. Stargate was a regular stop for many of us Kent Countians for a number of years. 2-3 years ago, Stargate sold to another owner, and the diner became the Cordelion. That restaurant didn't last long, and went out of business. Now, Kent County is happy to see Stargate Diner coming back to that same location within a few weeks (North side of Rt. 13 in Harrington).

Old 10-03-2020, 03:10 PM

Kent County, North of Dover in the Redner's Shopping Center:
A brand new Dairy Queen, beautiful place, but very strange and difficult entrance. Drive Thru is confusing.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:12 PM

New Castle County
Jessops Tavern in Historic New Castle. There's nothing like this place in all of Kent County, or all of Sussex County. When the Pandemic is over, I will definitely go back. Of course, they are following all pandemic/health guidelines for safe dining, but, just the same......I'll wait. Put this one on your list for a special treat! The owners REALLY know how to serve their guests!
https://jessops-tavern.com/

From their website: The Story of Jessop’s Tavern
The three-hundred-year-old building that now houses Jessop’s Tavern was originally built in 1674. A cooper named Abraham Jessop lived here and worked at his barrel-making business here in 1724.
and
A Message From the Owners
Since the time we opened Jessop’s Tavern, our purpose has been to create a memorable experience while serving history in Olde City New Castle. We thank you for your patronage as we remain your Most Humble Servants.
– Day Family

Last edited by rdlr; 10-03-2020 at 05:20 PM..

Old 10-03-2020, 07:36 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
New Castle County
Jessops Tavern in Historic New Castle. There's nothing like this place in all of Kent County, or all of Sussex County. When the Pandemic is over, I will definitely go back. Of course, they are following all pandemic/health guidelines for safe dining, but, just the same......I'll wait. Put this one on your list for a special treat! The owners REALLY know how to serve their guests!
https://jessops-tavern.com/

From their website: The Story of Jessop’s Tavern
The three-hundred-year-old building that now houses Jessop’s Tavern was originally built in 1674. A cooper named Abraham Jessop lived here and worked at his barrel-making business here in 1724.
and
A Message From the Owners
Since the time we opened Jessop’s Tavern, our purpose has been to create a memorable experience while serving history in Olde City New Castle. We thank you for your patronage as we remain your Most Humble Servants.
– Day Family
Oh that sounds like a road trip for us when safe. Nothing better than a good history lesson that’s entertaining at the same time. Thanks. Will add it to the to do list.

I guess we should mention that the first two posts are about the Lewes and Rehoboth area.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:53 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,417 times
Quote:
And, now a few words from Kent County:

Stargate Diner (Restaurant) is coming back to Harrington. Stargate was a regular stop for many of us Kent Countians for a number of years. 2-3 years ago, Stargate sold to another owner, and the diner became the Cordelion. That restaurant didn't last long, and went out of business. Now, Kent County is happy to see Stargate Diner coming back to that same location within a few weeks (North side of Rt. 13 in Harrington).

I look forward to visiting - I love good diners. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 10-04-2020, 05:15 AM

Sussex County - Ellendale

Retiree....I think you'll like this one!
The Southern Grille, in the Town of Ellendale, on Rt. 16
If you drive too fast, besides the cops getting you, you'll miss The Southern Grille! Driving West to East, it's on the Right side of the road.

https://www.thesoutherngrilles.com/

Years ago, they had a larger place on the corner of Rt. 113 and Rt. 16. Their building is now small, but their menu is huge! They specialize in "Comfort Food" like chicken and dumplings, lima beans and dumplings, and on one place on the Internet I saw that on Sunday they have cinnamon rolls and pumpkin pancakes and waffles until noon. If that interests you, better call them first because I didn't see it on the menu. For those adventurous diners....Muskrat is on the menu.

Last edited by rdlr; 10-04-2020 at 05:25 AM..

Old 10-04-2020, 03:12 PM

Kent County - Smyrna

The Boondocks on Lighthouse Rd. This was an the old Councils Hunting Lodge, and has been a seafood restaurant for a number of years. Yes, it's out in the boondocks! This is our go-to gathering place for our family to meet during the Spring and Summer months. We go there for birthdays, anniversaries, or whenever we want to gather up our family. There's plenty of seating, no pushy servers, and a place you can 'come as you are' Great seafood, snacks, drinks, and a regular down-home place. But, like Sambos, JPs on the Wharf and a few other seafood places the Boondocks closes the end of October until about April.

https://www.visitdelawarevillages.co...ks-restaurant/

Old 10-04-2020, 04:17 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,417 times
Quote:
Sussex County - Ellendale

Retiree....I think you'll like this one!
The Southern Grille, in the Town of Ellendale, on Rt. 16
If you drive too fast, besides the cops getting you, you'll miss The Southern Grille! Driving West to East, it's on the Right side of the road.

https://www.thesoutherngrilles.com/

Years ago, they had a larger place on the corner of Rt. 113 and Rt. 16. Their building is now small, but their menu is huge! They specialize in "Comfort Food" like chicken and dumplings, lima beans and dumplings, and on one place on the Internet I saw that on Sunday they have cinnamon rolls and pumpkin pancakes and waffles until noon. If that interests you, better call them first because I didn't see it on the menu. For those adventurous diners....Muskrat is on the menu.
I’m going down that area this week to Blessings and Pepper’s greenhouses, a walk on the Milford Riverwalk and whatever else looks good on these beautiful, but short, days. Thanks for the tip. I would probably like anything except muskrat. Have a good evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware