Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
As for me, I don't think I'd even give it a chance. It's not for me but looks like there are 5,000 people that love it.
Yes there are a lot of people that go wild over this. pay top dollar too.
On the news they said most paid a pretty penny just to fill up their RV tanks. not to mention admission and whatever else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 03:53 AM

903 posts, read 3,506,126 times
I'm sorry elizamary, I for one take offense! I mean, that was just hateful! My dad is toothless and tattooed, but he's 75 years old and the tattoos are from his military service.

While I am not a big NASCAR fan, we will go and enjoy the festivities of the event tomorrow. IMHO, the racing is not a lot different than any other professional sport... fans develop a passion over the most interesting thing. To us, it is more about the cameraderie; meeting new people, etc. Whether my seat neighbor has tattoos or their teeth won't matter much to me, if they are having a good time and letting us enjoy the day as well.

Please think before you hit "send"... as in my opinion THAT was not called for! And that apology was a waste of a post.

Mary

Old 05-31-2008, 05:39 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
I'm sorry elizamary, I for one take offense! I mean, that was just hateful! My dad is toothless and tattooed, but he's 75 years old and the tattoos are from his military service.

Mary

You are right Mary.......and it was a stupid and ignorant thing to say. At the time I thought it was funny but now I just see it as a really dumb thing to say to anyone.
That post should be reported. I'm surprised no one did?
Anyway.......again, I am truley sorry for such a stupid remark.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:43 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times
How do you report opinion?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,670 times
Quote:

While I am not a big NASCAR fan, we will go and enjoy the festivities of the event tomorrow. IMHO, the racing is not a lot different than any other professional sport... fans develop a passion over the most interesting thing. To us, it is more about the cameraderie; meeting new people, etc. Whether my seat neighbor has tattoos or their teeth won't matter much to me, if they are having a good time and letting us enjoy the day as well.

Please think before you hit "send"... as in my opinion THAT was not called for! And that apology was a waste of a post. Mary
IMHO Mary, Everyone makes mistakes. Elizamary sent a sincere apology and I don't feel that an apology is ever a waste of a post as you say it.It takes a big person to admit they are wrong and it takes a bigger one to forgive and forget.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:20 AM

392 posts, read 991,114 times
Why are people so quick to take offense these days? I was always told to "grow feathers and let things roll off my back".............lighten up!!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 AM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
For those not interested in NASCAR, they are running the APBA off shore race in Ocean City this weekend. I believe it is a stop on the national APBA tour, so the fastest boats in the country will be there. The race runs about 100 yards off the beach from the inlet to about 40th street. If you've never seen an APBA race in windy choppy conditions, it is WAY more exciting than NASCAR.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:40 AM

405 posts, read 1,375,547 times
Quote:

Please think before you hit "send"... as in my opinion THAT was not called for! And that apology was a waste of a post.

Mary
Wow Mary that was a bit harsh, I believe elizamary meant it only in jest, not to be taken so seriously. Then when she realized it could have been taken wrong she posted an apology. I think you need to ease up.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:59 PM

243 posts, read 914,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
The crowds, hustle bustle, lines and confusion make for a ridiculously fun time! Just the way we like it! If you like being around all kinds of people, from everywhere, you will love it! And, you don't have to be a "drinker" to enjoy the bars. A wine spritzer, or diet coke suits me just fine, and the bands, dancing and fun are outlandish! Part of the fun is recognizing a crew chief, driver, or other celebrity, and seeing them on the dance floor! I have seen some drivers with 2 left feet!
I hope everyone that went enjoyed to the max. I can't wait for next year. Weather here was great except for a little rain on Saturday. I hope you had nice weather there.
Quote:
My boys and I are super excited about the race at Dover Downs this weekend! I for one was happy with the support for Autism Speaks; NASCAR and the drivers do a great job supporting some fine causes throughout the year.

We are doubly excited because... drum roll, please... we just found out we get free tickets to the race! While we did move here from the heart of NASCAR country (Richard Petty's hometown, in fact), we never made it to the big races during our 15+ years in NC. And lo and behold, our first June in DE, and we will be THERE!

We may be the only ones with Petty gear on, but what can I say?

Mary
15+ years in NC and no Nascar. Less than one year in DE and Nascar. Wow. Hope it was great!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:39 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Another race week in Dover, Delaware has come to an end, and what a wonderful week it was, in more ways than one. There are 140,000 seats around the oval Monster Mile, many more than some are aware. That's 140,000 fans PLUS drivers, pit crews, mechanics, vendors, and other workers, twice a year, pumping money into the local Delaware economy. We are truely Blessed that these people bring their hard-earned money to Dover, and invest it in our hotels, motels, restaurants, grocery stores, shops, and gas stations. Many of us realize what a big boom NASCAR is to this area, and we are fortunate and proud to have such a grand event in our midst. There are so many things to love about NASCAR, and only one, is meeting many fine people from all over the country.

This year's race marked 40 Fast Years in Dover, and those plunking down $100+/- per ticket were happy to do so. The featured race Sunday, was the Best Buy 400 benefiting Student Clubs for Autism Speaks. Even more reason to welcome NASCAR visitors to Dover, is the $77,000 which they contributed for the research of autism. This week long event concentrated on awareness of autism, since One out of every 150 children is diagnosed with autism. Each event I attended during the week, elaborated on these children, their families, and more research which is needed, and NASCAR fans from all over responded. The $77,000 donation to Autism Speaks came from fan donations, ticket sales, a concert by Emerson Drive, Best Buy, and NASCAR/Dover Downs kicked in additional monies for the cause. A spokesperson for Autism Speaks was heard saying, that the NASCAR community is one of the most generous in the world. Thank you, NASCAR, and I look forward to seeing you all back in September.

Dover International Speedway - The Monster Mile® - Charitable contributions raised from the May 30 – June 1, 2008 NASCAR weekend at Dover benefit Autism Speaks (http://www.doverspeedway.com/track/press/article.php?dir=200806&id=1943 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware