Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 AM

18 posts, read 53,253 times

Advertisements

How are race relations in Dover and the surrounding areas? TIA

ETA:I just wanted to add a little information about myself and my family. We are a young African American family, looking to move from Brooklyn NY. I have lived in Richmond VA, for seven years before returning home so I am used to the small town feel. I have been contemplating a move to Delaware for about 8 years. I have a 10 year old son, a three year daughter and our Bischon Frise Wynter. My husband and I are looking to slow things down and I think Dover might be a good fit for our family.

Last edited by inspiredva; 12-04-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 12:58 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Dover is a LOT smaller than Richmond, VA. If you thought Richmond had a small town feel, you might feel you were completely in podunck living in Dover!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,304 times
inspired,

According to City-data's info Dover is 37.2% Black. You can check out the town here: //www.city-data.com/city/Dover-Delaware.html

Old 12-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks!

I was able to find this info from the link norm provided:

Racial and ethnic characteristics (2000)

White: 17,655

Black or African American: 11,961

American Indian and Alaska Native: 146

Asian: 1,016

Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander: 12

Hispanic or Latino (may be of any race): 1,327

Other: 503
Does this seem about right?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 PM

I would think that's about right, except that the population figures themeselves seem low, even for 2000. Perhaps they aren't counting Dover AFB and DSU and/or some burbs. Not that Dover is anything but an overgrown small town, anyway. However, that just doesn't seem like enough people.

Don't know your degree of familiarity with DE. DSU is the historically African-American university that is located in Dover and dates back to the years of segregation. It's one of only two proper state universities in DE, so has a substantial presence, though it suffers by comparison to UD. Obviously it now has a multi-ethnic enrollment, but is still predominantly black.

Someone who actually lives in Kent County will be along to give you better info than I can. You must really want to slow things down! Are you sure you want to slow them down quite that much?

Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Thank you doctorjeff.

For the most part, I spend my time in the house reading, playing with my children, or on the computer. I don't take advantage of NYC nightlife and things of that nature. We seem to be homebodies so to speak; I can spend days in my house and be happy. All I really want is a safe, affordable place to raise my children. I want my son to be able to go to school and not be picked on because he does not know the latest slang words and uses proper English, or laughed at because he prefers High School Musical over latest shoot 'em up movie( sorry for the rant lol). I noticed that there is a YMCA where my children can continue their activities (Swimming and Karate) and a couple of festivals throughout the year. I also do not want to be to far from my family here in Brooklyn. As long as hubby can get his football on Sundays and a trip to NY every once in a while,he's fine lol.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:42 PM

well, it sounds like Dover may be for you, then. Dunno what your spouse does. Perhaps you shouldn't rule out suburban Wilmington (not the City of Wilmington, per se) -- the Brandywine Hundred school district in particular. Sounds like you need to make a trip down to DE to look around. Depending when you're thinking of relocating, late Spring would be a good time to come check things out. It can be rather drab in the winter, though of course that's true for a lot of places in the northeastern US.

People do seem to think well of the school system in Dover, BTW.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:00 AM

903 posts, read 3,504,968 times
Hi inspiredva,

We live in central Kent County, but not in Dover. We too have lived several places... Long Island, NC, Va Beach, and CT to name a few. Doctorjef pointed out a good thing in that Dover and the surrounding areas are definitely a LOT different from what you are used to. If you are looking for a calmer life, that you will find in this area.

As far as the schools, I have posted elsewhere that we are quite satisfied with the schools our kids are attending. Even with the budget cuts going on, there is a sense of community in the district (at all levels, elementary, middle and high school). Despite the reputation the state of NC tries to hang on to, we did NOT have a good school system when we were there. And in the tougher economy, I don't even want to imagine how much worse the NC schools are now.

My best advise is to come visit DE if you can; that is what we did (several times, in fact) and it helped tremendously in our decision making. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to send me a private message. I'll be glad to tell you anything I know. Keep in mind though... we are only in our second year here in DE, so my knowledge is limited.

Mary

Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 AM

271 posts, read 995,324 times
Hi inspiredva,

I agree with much that both drjef and maryCh have said. In some ways, since we've lived here most of our adult lives--that is 30+ years!--I may have more information. On the other hand, our situation is quite different from yours with young ones.

I think that race relations in Dover itself are quite good. I can't tell you about the even smaller surrounding communities. (Perhaps Mary can address this.) I know that there's a peaceful and friendly mix in the neighborhoods within a few miles of DSU, and this may be a good area to look for a house.

Dover has grown since the 2000 census. The last figure I heard was about 37,000, so still a small city. For us, it is culturally lacking, but the reasons we'll be moving within a few years have more to do with no family in the state, and lack of good medical. It's harder for us to drive for all that we seek and need than it used to be. We're not so aged we can't drive to Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Washington, but we don't like to do the round trip in a day that we didn't mind in our twenties or thirties, and we think it's unfortunate that you have to drive to Philadelphia or Baltimore to get to a major airport. Buses here are few, unreliable and--we're told--unpleasant. We've never found an airport limo service we could really count on. (If somebody else has, here in Dover, please tell me!) No passenger train comes through Dover.

Having said this, medical does seem to be improving--just not enough for us. Even a good dentist can be difficult, because the best ones are seldom taking new patients.

The things we've always loved in the Dover vicinity are the things people usually seem to mention here when you read the older threads: Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge, Killens Pond State Park, the very small but excellent Biggs Museum. The bay beaches are a short drive, but we head to the ocean beaches, on and off-season, Lewes, Rehoboth, Dewey, Bethany.

Out of time for now, but send a private message if you'd like.

Annie

Old 12-07-2008, 03:47 PM

Many of the deficiencies you'd find in Dover would be mitigated in the Wilmington suburbs. I'd suggest looking here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware