Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 PM

33 posts, read 198,051 times

Advertisements

We are thinkning of moving to the Willmington area. My husband it going to be working about 30 min outside of Phila. and we thought this would be a nice alternative for us to look for a house, BUT after reading some of these posts to be honest I have totally been scared away, High crime, pollution, cancer risk, real bad areas, bad schools... AAHHH.. Can ANYONE out there clarify this? Is this really what it's like? Should we just concentrate on PA and forget DE? We are looking for a nice area with a quaint downtown area and good schools for our childrenand SAFE above all.Our price range is 700k to 900k. Please someone help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
Where is PA is your husband working?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:24 PM

He will be in Frazer PA, on the main line.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:41 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
Go to Realtor.com and check out Frazer and surrounding areas. West Chester has a lovely down town area.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 PM

I've visited those areas they are nice, we just thought for some reason that delaware would be a nicer place to live. but from what I'm gathering maybe it's not.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:17 AM

249 posts, read 492,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcovph View Post
I've visited those areas they are nice, we just thought for some reason that delaware would be a nicer place to live. but from what I'm gathering maybe it's not.
Pike Creek/Hockessin/Newark, and maybe the Ardens?

Old 03-16-2007, 04:19 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,951 times
Default Grit in Wilmington

take a look at these photos. I thought Wilmington would've been nice

These are from skyscraperpage.com

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ght=wilmington

Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
The center of Wilmington around all the MBNA buildings is nice but
the rest is a dangerous dump ! I had the misfortune of commuting to
Wilmington by car in 2000 and it took 1 hour and 20 minutes to get
there from West Chester sometimes !!!! WOW ! Horrifying !!! If you are
coming all the way from Frazer, it will be waaaay worse ! There are
a lot of nice places around Frazier that would be so much better than
anything in Delaware I wouldnt even consider it.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,381 times
Again this is just my opinion when you buy a home in PA you will be tax assessed and that can be 80-95% of the actual purchase price. Do some homework and take a look at the taxes.Delaware and Chester county post their milage rates online. Real Estate basis pays for school tax, its the only thing that pays for schools in PA.
If you don't mind paying between 6-8 grand in just school tax then move to PA. Delaware and Chester Counties all pay HUGE school tax. That would not bother me if we had services for it. Gov Rendel told us slot gambling would help but I don't forsee that making a dent for a decade. The slots will turn into gambling and then the taxes may go down. I have had enough of paying high taxes for no services and we are getting out of here as soon as we can.
At least in NJ (born and raised there myself) you got services for your tax dollar. Not substandard school districts that are graduating people who cannot read and who have no skills. Ask to see test scores for districts, prepare to be shocked.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 26,206 times
I have lived in Delaware for over 20 years now, and in various areas of Delaware, currently i live in Newark Delaware. The city of Wilmington is a small town city. Geez people its not a complete Crime scene ::laughs::

Its a small Town city people! yes it has its bad areas Just like any other city, But its nothing compared to some of other cities out there like Washington DC. or Philidelphia which i have experienced living near. and WILL NEVER repeat again!

As for commuting from Delaware into Pa. i have no idea what it would be like since you have not posted where. in Pa. Also be aware theres a diference between talking about the City of Wilmington and Northern Wilmingtin. Northern Wilmington Near Rt 202 which heads into Pa. is not the City its mostly housing and shopping. Im my opinion though its becomming a very crowded area to live in which means in a few years it will become even worse,and i have family living up there currently. Infact many people are moving from that area further down into Newark and Bear Delaware such as myself to get away from those crowded sections. Alot of people Commutting from Northern Delaware up into Pa.

Pike Creek, Hockessin, Newark, and Bear Delaware are very Nice areas to Live in I prefer Newark and Bear off Rte 40 area its a very nice section of Delaware to live in and Raise Children. Just check the schools and make sure your children will not have to attend school at anytime in Wilmington durring thier public education. Due to how the school system seems to work (eye roll) if they must then place them in private school or file to place them in a diferent school and plan on taking them to school for a few years.Other then that Delaware itself is not a bad state to live in and Wilmington like i said is nothing like some of the larger cities in the surrounding areas.

Its Also best before moving to plan on spending several days up in Delaware driving around yourself and being able to see for yourself what its like rather then depending completely on realtors. After all thier job is just to sell you a home not truely give you a real vision of what its like here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware