Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:52 PM

604 posts, read 2,011,569 times

Advertisements

from PA:

It was my understanding that Sunniems was interested in PURCHASING (investing in) a property (located several minutes from her place of work near MD-DE border along DE Rt. 2) so that 5-10 years down the line she may gain appreciable amt. of money when she moves on to bigger and better things.

Whether the condo fees (they don't cover the interior maintenance) are justified or not, they keep going up and reduce the appreciation potential of the investment is what I conveyed in my post.

I was not addressing below the canal or PA locations. If location is Newark DE and safety is of concern .. condo fee is going to be in the range of $200-300/month range. That means $2400 to $3600/year in condo fees (down the drain) that are probably equal the tax saving afforded by the investment. Therefore, the contention that purchasing a condo is no better than renting an apt. one is happy in (no interior maintenance headaches to boot).

Sunniems: granted, owning your home is a responsibility and some work but as they say "no pain, no gain". One cannot expect to gain equity in the home without some sweat. But the returns on owning a home, generally, are much greater than the sweating required. My post was not meant to discourage you but to help you sharpen your focus between buying a free standing home with a yard and a townhouse with a smaller yard - and not away from buying a home (and investment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 AM

26 posts, read 86,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
I must disagree with this statement. As a former condo owner, I would have to say that our condo fees were a bargain compared to what the items covered would cost on an individual basis. I think it depends on how much freedom you desire in your property and how the association is set up. For instance, our condo fees were $145. per month and included lawn maintenance, trash and snow removal, insurance and maintenance on the outside of the building, and a pool, fitness center and tennis. No way can we even come close to these costs in a single home. I must say though, that we are enjoying taking care of our property ourselves but for now we have the time to do it. May not be so in the future and we would not hesitate to move into a condo or a +55 when the time comes.
I must also disagree with the statement. Being a former Condo owner, life was much easier and more affordable when living in our Condo. We sold the Condo only after a few years and made a healthy profit which I turned over and invested in my house. The ONLY reason we even sold the condo is because we outgrew it (making babies will do that), but my wife and I look back fondly to our days in that condo...

Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,825 times
I live in Glasgow in a townhome community right outside the new YMCA, the State Police Troop 2, across the street from the Glasgow/Bear county - pretty safe, family oriented neighborhood. Singles, couples and families. A mix of cultures there too. (Bristol Place)

There are like 10 houses for sale in here...I'm not sure why people are leaving (moving on? looking for the single family bargain? foreclosure?) but it is in the cycle for most I guess, these houses have been here between 7-9 years and many are the original owners still.

Looks like most houses are selling in the 190-215k range...might be something good to look at - grab a realtor and look through the options of all the houses available. There were 3 models built in here and were not set by site (purchasers choice aside from garaged units) - smaller units have the stairs to the second floor as you walk in the door, larger units right past the powder room and garage units that give up the basement.

Just buying Delaware outside an incorporated area will save you on real estate taxes

Old 05-14-2009, 06:13 PM

57 posts, read 165,352 times
HI,

I live in Stafford community Rt.2 (I guess) . It is about 5 mins to downtown newark and 20 mins to Cecil college because I go study ESL and pottery every week there. My husband lives here 6 years now. I do not know about houses cost here but neighbor are nice, quiet and clean.

My friend just bought a house at glasgow behide Four Season shopping center . I do not know what does it call there but it is good community too in my ponion.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,825 times
Four Seasons is OK - Charlan is in there but there are apartments back there too...apartments lower real estate values
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: