Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:32 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times

Advertisements

Son need braces in sept, but the cost is just same amount as a good use 2014 car. have they always been this high? We quoted for aliment and monthly maintenance.. guess they need oil changes..

5200..for top and bottom

insurence aint paying for nothing. guess we got the wrong insurance at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 06:37 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times
That fee sounds about right. Not sure what kind of "good" used car you can get for this. You can get a loan just like you do for automobiles. Although most people don't even have that auto after a few years.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 4,996 times
The monthly maintenance is them getting tightened or fixed (I always broke mine I had them in)... I'd imagine anyway

Old 02-27-2018, 04:05 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
just wish insurance would fork over the coverage. whats point of having it when they dont even cover the major stuff such as this.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:19 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
That is nothing compared to the cost of a full mouth reconstruction that can cost more than a new car: https://www.yourdentistryguide.com/fmr/. According to that article: "It is not unreasonable to expect a reconstruction to cost approximately $30,000 to $45,000 or more."

For that kind of money you would think they would give you diamonds for teeth! No wonder Mr. Happy Tooth is soo happy!

Old 02-27-2018, 04:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I guess I don't "get it" in today's times...all the NEEDS we are all told we need. My parents raised 3 children and none ever NEEDED braces. Perfect teeth? What is perfect. My grandkids have nice teeth but were told they "needed" braces, so guess what? Yep...

When my grandgirl got her braces off her already nice teeth, they let the dentist bath her teeth in fluoride and guess what, yep...fluorosis.

I suppose if money is no object the sky can be the limit. But....come on.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-27-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 06:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
$5700 per kid....that payment will be done in June, thank goodness. My insurance paid for half, also thank goodness.

i agree with Jaminhealth, it seems every kid today needs them. My kids REALLY needed them, DD's teeth were coming in outside her gums but I only know of one kid turned away by the orthodontist.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
2 of my 3 kids had teeth so crooked it was really distracting to look at them. They NEEDED braces, and yes, we paid in that ballpark for them. Money well spent.

The other son was "on the fence" with braces - his teeth were fairly straight and he played a band instrument very successfully - that was his identity in middle and high school. He couldn't have done that with braces - we saw other kids try and fail.

For our two kids with braces, that made all the difference in the world in their appearance. Is the same true for your child?

Old 02-27-2018, 06:53 PM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
just wish insurance would fork over the coverage. whats point of having it when they dont even cover the major stuff such as this.
That's their business model. There is a reason the tallest buildings in major cities belong to insurance companies. You think they could afford those if they were constantly writing checks for people's healthcare?

Yet people still like to blame the doctor...

Old 02-27-2018, 07:03 PM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I guess I don't "get it" in today's times...all the NEEDS we are all told we need. My parents raised 3 children and none ever NEEDED braces. Perfect teeth? What is perfect. My grandkids have nice teeth but were told they "needed" braces, so guess what? Yep...

When my grandgirl got her braces off her already nice teeth, they let the dentist bath her teeth in fluoride and guess what, yep...fluorosis.

I suppose if money is no object the sky can be the limit. But....come on.
No one NEEDS teeth, so therefore no one NEEDS braces either. Your dentist scammed your grandgirl. She should have just had all her teeth extracted since she doesn't NEED them.
/sarcasm

Also I know you are personally not interested in science and medical facts, but for those reading who are actually interested in truth and not wild conspiracy theories, you CANNOT get fluorosis on teeth that have already erupted through the gums.
https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/f/fluorosis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health