Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnee View Post
2 weeks ago I just had my fillings redone, most were fine except the ones that are deep. Before i went to the dentist, i didnt had any problems, but after i got them redone, i had problems with chewing food. every time i chewed on food, the teeth with deep fillings had sharp pain. went back to the dentist to check, and he said the fillings look fine, but i insisted that they are not fine since it hurts so much when i chew. thus, he removed 2 of my fillings and place temporary fillings over it and asked me to come back 4 weeks later.

The 2 teeth with the temporary fillings are feeling fine now, but i'm not sure if it will hurt again when i get it changed to the permanent fillings. been searching on the internet, and i realised that temporary fillings has sedative to clam the nerves, thus i shouldn't be feeling any pain.

& sadly my 3rd teeth was beyond hope, my dentist polished the tooth and told be that if the pain persists, i would only have 2 options, either to extract it or have root canals done

wanted to know if anyone experienced the same situation? i'm really hoping that i dont need root canals done as they are really expensive and i was afraid that they may have more complications in future.. totally regretted going to the dentist, wouldn't be in so much torture if i didnt had my fillings redone, i believed he drilled much deeper into my teeth, as i dont remember my previous dentist drilling such big holes few years back.

should i wait it out and hope that the pain will disappear or should i seek a new dentist asap ?
Why did you have your fillings redone if you weren't having problems with them? Or were there problems that you just didn't have any symptoms for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 03:56 AM

3 posts, read 41,431 times
Well. i suddenly had jaw pain/ toothache on the right bottom area for about a week. so i thought maybe i had a decayed teeth that was causing me trouble. thus i went to a neighborhood dentist to have a check.. the dentist said there was nothing wrong with the area, but suggested that it might have been a leaking in one of my fillings, so he decided to redo all my fillings. that's when all the problems came in.

Now 1 of my teeth with the temporary filling starts to feel pressure each time i bite, didn't really dare to bite any hard food with it & i realised that my temporary fillings are fading away, not sure if that's the reason.. just hoping for the week to pass by fast so i can get a permanent filling, provided both of my teeth are fine.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:49 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I'd go to a different dentist, and have him send to the other dentist for your dental records. Note: I am not saying YOU should get your dental records and bring them to a new dentist. I'm being specific: Have a new dentist send to the old dentist for your dental records. Reason: Dentists generally reciprocate, and therefore there's no charge on either side. If you ask for the records you'll typically be charged a fee for the copies, and they can get expensive, plus it takes awhile whereas dentists asking dentists takes just a couple of days.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 41,431 times
Yes. I have booked an appointment with a surgeon to have my teeth checked out. Was planning to get my wisdom teeth extracted , so anyway I will have a xray done during consultation.. hoping things will be fine , if possible I will try to have my teeth done at the new dentist than to have them completed at the previous. Lost all confidence that my teeth will get better if I complete the job at the previous dentist.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:20 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatro View Post
I had three composite fillings done about three weeks ago on three different teeth (all molars). When ever I chew anything even remotely hard, I get a sharp pain where the new fillings are. I never had this pain before the fillings. Also, I have no sensitivity to cold/heat.

I told my dentist about the problem and she doesn't know why this is happening. She checked my bite, took x-rays, she even said the fillings are small and no where near the nerves. She said give it two more weeks and if I still feel pain she will have to redo the fillings.

My question is, what can be causing the pain whenever I chew on the new fillings? I've had composite fillings before with no problem (different dentist). The fillings are on both lower sides of my mouth so it makes it hard to eat anything.

Make a telephone call to your Dentist and tell them the issue, make an appointment to go and have them checked.

No one here could possibly know what is going on with your dental issues, apparantly there is an underlying problem that your current dentist has yet to identify.
Keep going back until they find it or find a different dentist.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 11,725 times
I've had 9 cavities filled. I'm a teenager and of course when I was younger no one ever got on me for not flossing or what I was eating. I regret not taking better care of my teeth. Recently I had my 9th cavity filled in the lower right side of my moth. (The second moler from the back). I have excruciating pain when I chew anything on the right side of my mouth. It hurts to chew anything/ drink anything. I'm not sure what to do about it. I understand cavities after being filled can still be sensitive , but I've never had them hurt like this one before.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,748 times
I had "small" cavity in the side of a capped bottom molar. Dr had hard time deadening to work on. Now all is well except when bite something hard. Dr said let it settle down for awhile. Has been 3 months. He said since he only worked on side and not top, bite adjustment won't help. Can't teeth move and throw off bite? How much time needed to "settle down"?

Old 04-15-2016, 06:36 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Could be anything. Bite is off, micro fracture starting in tooth, bond failure, etc. Most of the time it's just the nerves inside the tooth recovering from the procedure. Don't keep testing them to see if it hurts, keep babying them. Ibuprofen as needed. It should get better over time but sometimes can take a few months. If pain worsens or becomes spontaneous then that's another thing.
Have similar issue myself with crown inserted on previously cracked tooth. At the dentist office, we discussed a possible root canal, if the temporary crown was beginning to hurt after two weeks. Well the discomfort was honestly minimal and elected just for the crown. Now, I am having some pressure discomfort on area between the new crown and the newish crown on the adjacent tooth. I do hope it is just taking its time to recover. My dentist mentioned how everything should heal together in the next few months. So, maybe it is just a matter of giving adequate time to heal and recover. Fingers crossed it does.

For any dentists out there, can I ask you guys a general question :

If after temporary crown is removed , is it common to find a quite a smell when it is just removed. When my dentist removed my temporary crown after two weeks, there was enough of a distasteful smell to merit mouth rinse on the sport. Does this happen alot in similar situations ?.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,697 times
I'm experiencing the exact same issue! I'm so freaking mad I let that dentist remove my silver; that wasn't giving me any problems!!! I have been back 8 times for her to adjust my bite and continue to file down my teeth and the problem still exist! I think she just wanted the money. It's strange that the other office never mentioned anything about removing the silver that's been there for 30 years with no issues! I would've rather kept them and took a chance on the decay ruining the teeth. Now I'm ready to just pull these teeth that she filled. I can't enjoy my food. Even soft foods are painful and uncomfortable to chew. Please tell me if you can provide some insight on this issue. I just don't understand!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:26 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmewiththat View Post
I'm experiencing the exact same issue! I'm so freaking mad I let that dentist remove my silver; that wasn't giving me any problems!!! I have been back 8 times for her to adjust my bite and continue to file down my teeth and the problem still exist! I think she just wanted the money. It's strange that the other office never mentioned anything about removing the silver that's been there for 30 years with no issues! I would've rather kept them and took a chance on the decay ruining the teeth. Now I'm ready to just pull these teeth that she filled. I can't enjoy my food. Even soft foods are painful and uncomfortable to chew. Please tell me if you can provide some insight on this issue. I just don't understand!
I am sorry to say that a lot of dentists these days are pretty much scam artists. I recently had one tell me I had "suspicious" areas on Xrays of my huge bridge that was done only a few years ago. I am not having any issues with it and would cost $6,000 to re-do. She tried to "strong-arm" me, didn't even want me to wait a week! No way I am tearing this thing out, it was a huge ordeal getting it done, plus I don't feel like shelling out thousands more!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health