Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 03:44 PM

190 posts, read 202,106 times

Advertisements

I feel your pain, literally. Two weeks ago, I had an old filling replaced and on the adjacent tooth a new filling, I used the silver because it was way in the back on the upper teeth. My mouth still hurts, even on the other side, in which I need a filling. My dentist did a crown on one tooth and a white filling a year ago and I never had any problems. On this new filling, should I go for white or silver? I am 57 years old and the majority of my fillings are silver. I have never really had painful issues with my teeth before. So should I go for silver or white to help alleviate any problems. Ok, my mouth does not hurt wicked but it definitely does not feel as good as before the last 2 fillings. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 04:16 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
I just never let anyone near my teeth who says there's a cavity. Second, third, opinion always.

I turns out there's never a problem there--every time.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:08 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
I just never let anyone near my teeth who says there's a cavity. Second, third, opinion always.

I turns out there's never a problem there--every time.
Sounds more like you get opinions until someone tells you what you want to hear.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:33 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It is normal to have some sensitivity for a few days. The nerves are treated rudely, so they need a few days to settle down.
I have never gone to a dentist where I felt ripped off or that I didn't get great care, so I don't know why you people are having so much trouble, unless you are looking for it.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,112 times
Default Same pain

As I am sitting here reading all of these threads I'M in shock and relieved at the same time. I thought I was the only one going through this. I am now 2 weeks post a small filling. I went back last week and had my bite adjusted. Didn't help. Now I can not even chew on the side of the filling. I hate th dentist which is why I waited so long to go and now this happens. I didn't even know I had a cavity my tooth was fine and now after its supposedly fixed I'm having the worst pain of my life.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 8,948 times
Unhappy Similar Boat

Similar for me so far. I had my filling (dentist says it was deep) about a week and a half ago. Drilled a lot more tooth than expected; had a black spot on my molar, he drilled the black and and much more. Tooth still a bit sensitive to cold air, also has mild sensitivity to hot. Has sharp, small, but quick pain when biting into anything harder than macaroni and cheese. Bacon, beef jerky, and chips cause pain easily. I am in my regret phase of ever having the procedure being done or even going to the dentist at all.

Before the procedure I basically had no pain in the tooth. Now I can't even eat on that side really. Still hoping over time that it will "heal", but its hard to get optimistic about it.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:10 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleslice View Post
Miss m, I feel your pain. I was feeling fine and then got "4 cavities" filled and now have pain all over. The pain is so general on the upper left that I can't even tell which tooth it is anymore. Perhaps we should all just never go to the dentist again. It is really frustrating to not be able to trust any dentist, ever. I really don't know how they live with themselves for causing so much pain to people.
same here. I was told I had a "small cavity". Ever since I visited dentist, I have pain.
During the procedure he hit a nerve and I screamed. I think that is why. It's been a couple of months.

btw, clove oil will give temporary relief from pain.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:53 PM

74 posts, read 183,596 times
I've been asking myself the same thing. Well, they don't hurt - they just have a dull ache in them, and are sensitive. Three upper teeth were filled with amalgam. Seemed like deep fillings, too. Oh, and they squeaked after I ate on them. This was a few weeks ago. My dentist "adjusted" them this week (he had me bite down on the blue paper and he filed the fillings down with his drill) and they still hurt. I read it takes a while for the sensitivity/inflammation to go down (maybe a week after post-adjustment or longer?). If he ruined my teeth over some measly fillings, I'm going to be so sad. At least the squeaking seems to be gone, and the pain isn't as strong? Could be progress? The right side of my jaw is still sore (mind you, I've been having multiple sessions at the dentist so that is probably the main contributor to the jaw soreness... it heals and then I'm back at the dentist since he does everything in short sessions). Moreover, I've just been chewing on the non-filling side of my mouth so I don't know. :/

He did put a sedative filling in my really big premolar cavity on the bottom. Prior, it never really hurt (dead pulp, I assume). Still, he said I should get a root canal (not going to... can't afford it). At this point, I almost can't tell if it's actual pain, or phantom pain, or just the jaw soreness radiating throughout that side of the mouth. The left side of my mouth doesn't hurt at all, and I'm afraid to get the left fillings done.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:29 AM

389 posts, read 916,291 times
I had some pain after having a silver filling replaced with composite (the x-ray showed a small hole in this 30+ year old filling). I went back for an adjustment to the new filling and still had some pain. When I visited a different dentist after another month of aching, this dentist commented that those who have sensitive teeth can take up to a year to have any aches/pains from dental work clear up. Sure enough, total relief from any aching took almost a year for me. I was thankful that it was just one tooth so that I could adjust which side of my mouth I used for chewing.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 8,848 times
I am having the same issue. I went to the dentist a month ago and had a crack repaired and capped. Then she found 4 cavities. I went back the following week to have those fixed with white filling also. The old filling was silver. After all this time it still hurts to bite on anything hard. It's very upsetting! The capped tooth was the only tooth that bothered me, but now it feels like they all hurt.. I paid $2000 for this work. I'm not able to give more money either.. Ugh!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health