Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

No, I'm not in the field. My grandfather was a dentist, and two of my uncles were dentists, and a couple of cousins are doctors, and I have lots of experience being a patient, and used to watch my grandfather work on Saturdays growing up and as a young adult. He would explain what he was doing, and the hygienist used to let me help her develop x-ray films in the darkroom, and we would examine the x-rays and my grandfather would explain to me what we were looking at. I had braces and retainers for years when I was a kid to correct a receding chin/jawline, a car accident triggered a series of problems that resulted in needing a couple of root canals covered by a bridge, then another bridge, then that one replaced with implants.

I also took a few college-credit classes in pre-med stuff, biology and pharmacology and organic chemistry and a few other things, but that was after I had already graduated from college, and never intended to apply those credits toward another degree. I took them out of curiosity/interest and personal growth.

I have a much better understanding of dentistry than the average layman, but I am not a professional by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
I think you will appreciate this story, if I can convey it reasonably well---so, the dental hygienist takes me in this little room, for a "pre-treatment consultation." The room has dimmed lights, comfortable chairs, and there is this board of various push buttons on the wall, all different colors. It looks like the type of panel the Jetsons would have, or a panel on Star Trek. She pushes this button (green) to call the dentist in the room. Keep in mind the office is not very big. I mean she could have gone around the corner and asked the dentist into the room, LOL! But no, she calls him on this Star Trek panel. He comes in, and looks like Ben Stiller with very large, buck teeth. I mean, he has a total overload of teeth!! He sits down to talk with me, and all I could do was to keep staring at this blinking panel of buttons-otherwise I would have just been staring at his mouth!! This went on for about 1/2 hour while he asked me every question under the sun. He certainly was thorough!!! Gotta give him that!!!

What's with all this hokus pocus in dental offices now? Just fricking examine and clean my teeth!!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
I would, but I cant afford a second opinion, thanks. thats why i was trying to get info about it here.
OK, but remember we are a poor and distant choice to a second opinion.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:19 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,265 times
I know this thread is a little old but wanted to post some cost information in case someone could benefit from it in the future.

I went to the dentist for the first time in over 15 years back in September. I had a full cleaning and they found three cavities. I went back a few weeks later and had the cavities filled, plus had three wisdom teeth pulled (which was the main reason I went to the dentist in the first place).

I went back a few weeks ago for my second cleaning (2x/yr) and the dentist took a much closer look at my needs since all of the immediate concerns had been addressed.

My proposed treatment plan is to have scaling and planing done on a 1-3 teeth per quadrant (well, 3 each for me but that is how it is worded on the treatment pla) on each of the four quadrants. This is not surprising to me because I have some receeding gums and slight inflamation in the areas mentioned.

Anyway, the total cost per quadrant for 1-3 teeth is $130. My insurance covers $104 of that, so my out of pocket cost is $26 per quadrant.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 PM

chellemi808 thank you. That is about the cost of mine also. I did some more checking, and it appears to be legit. Other people I have talked to that are my age seem to already have had this. I just never did and it came so unexpectedly. Didnt know there was such a thing. Anyway, are you having it done soon? Mine is coming up next week. A friend told me to bring an mp3 player with my favorite music. Thought that sound like a good idea.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:21 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,265 times
Yes, my appointment is scheduled for May 12. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 PM

I'm on the 9th. I will let you know also!! Supposedly they are doing it all in one day. I set it up for a Friday because I don't have to work Friday or Sat. I really don't know what to expect.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:24 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
To me, it seems like a lot of dentists these days are recommending unnecessary services to make a quick buck. It seems like they recommend deep cleaning and planing to everyone. But I don't think it should hurt.. they should numb the gum area beforehand.
I'm shocked!

Old 05-09-2014, 02:09 PM

Okay I had the "scaling and planing" done today, to the tune of $400+ for THREE TEETH. I payed $120 of it. I am now convinced that this is a way for dentists to make up their costs above and beyond what insurance pays for a regular cleaning--at least it appears to be the case with this particular dentists office. What was done was no more than I have had done before at other dentists, which was considered to be part of a regular cleaning. Bunch of BS.

Not going back to this dentist...they were thorough and everything, but I don't like being lied to.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:15 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
For quite some time I experienced slight bleeding after brushing and flossing and my dentist said nothing about fixing the problem it when cleaning my teeth (even though he mentioned the bleeding).

After retiring and no longer having dental insurance, I took out dental ins on my own and the dentist didn't accept that coverage so I had to find a new dentist.

The new dentist's hygienist told me I required planing and scraping to clean between one of my teeth and the gum because when he used the probe to check the depth of the pocket between the gum and the tooth it was a "6". After having the procedure performed, and following the at-home guidelines, at the three month check up the pocket area was reduced back to a 3. And no more bleeding!

I'm surprised that the previous dentist never once mentioned anything about my gums needing attention to prevent periodontal disease.

The cost was around $180, ins did not pay for it, however the new dentist's office did give me a reduced rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health