Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Glad you got it fixed, katie45! Remember to floss every day, or use a disposable proxa brush (GUM makes them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:12 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
oh, great. now one of the teeth they did the scaling and planing on hurts. the gum hurts, on the outside and inside. below it it feels swollen. down to my jaw. what the heck is going on? I had a root canal on this tooth 45 years ago, and two different crowns on it several years ago. so why does it hurt?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
oh, great. now one of the teeth they did the scaling and planing on hurts. the gum hurts, on the outside and inside. below it it feels swollen. down to my jaw. what the heck is going on? I had a root canal on this tooth 45 years ago, and two different crowns on it several years ago. so why does it hurt?
So, it's been a few hours - you must've called the dentist at some point today - what did he say when you asked him?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 PM

Have an appt tomorrow. Will see. I really didnt want to go back to this dentist.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Sh*t, now they are sending me to an endodontist. They dont know whats wrong. Supposed to have a CT scan tomorrow at 6:45 AM!!!! I have been down the road and back with this tooth over 45 years. It settles down, then acts up again. Just the planing and scaling has made the gums hurt and below it down to the jaw. I have to PAY FOR THE SCAN UP FRONT and then get reimbursed when they get paid by insurance!!!! I have no money. And if this tooth needs another root canal and crown I am dead!! I don't know what to do. I can't stand the pain.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 AM

You've had problems with this tooth for 45 years. How much money have you spent on this tooth during all that time?

How much would you have saved if you had gotten the tooth removed and replaced with an implant 20 years ago?

Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
Yeah, if you had let them bankrupt you then you wouldn't have to worry about being bankrupted now by dental work.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
The technician lied to me, saying it was illegal to do a regular cleaning when a deep cleaning is necessary. I was certain it wasn't true, but didn't say anything to her because the dentist was due any moment and I would mention it to him. He said their attorney had said having a patient sign a waiver was not protection, which is why the tech said what she said. But, that's not at all the same as being illegal. He repeated what he'd just said and I told him repeating it doesn't make any difference. It is NOT illegal and saying it's illegal is a lie. He would not agree that what he needed to say is that it's against he and his partner's policy.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You've had problems with this tooth for 45 years. How much money have you spent on this tooth during all that time?

How much would you have saved if you had gotten the tooth removed and replaced with an implant 20 years ago?

Well, I had dental insurance for most of the time, but I have spent alot on this tooth, you are right. 2 root canals, bite adjustment, and two crowns all on the same tooth. Plus if you count the root canal on the tooth that was next to it that probably didnt need a root canal, because it was this tooth all along, AND the tooth above it that was pulled by mistake when this problem first started, and the bridge I needed because of that--all in all, without insurance, it would probably be $10,000!!

Pulling and implants were never recommended. They kept wanting to save the tooth.

The endodontist did a computerized dental CT scan at 7 AM today and this is the only way my diagnosis could have come. Nothing has shown on regular x-rays for years. Dental CT scans have only been available for 10 years or so. Apparently insurance rarely pays for them. Why? I don't know. It sure would have paid for Delta Dental to pay for a dental CT scan long ago!!!

Verdict: Longitudinal Root/Tooth Fracture with a pocket of *something* below it. I am now on antibiotics. Tooth can't be saved anymore. I am having it pulled this afternoon by an oral surgeon.

Hopefully they can do a bridge rather than an implant. But I am not having anything done for a while after this. Too expensive and it will need time to heal.

Wish me luck.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:06 PM

What gets me is how all of these various types of dentists now want money up front. I had to PAY for the scan and consult this morning ($279) and will be reimbursed if either my dental or medical pays, and the oral surgeon this afternoon wants 20% up front. I have no idea how much it will cost, so here we go. I cannot afford this, but what am I to do? I don't know what people do that cannot pay anything up front. They probably end up in the emergency room. Like that is going to help anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health