Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 01:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times

Advertisements

Hi, I had a lower molar (#30) extracted a week ago after many tests and consults. It had been bothering me for some time. Tooth was cracked vertically and there was a small infection below it.

It took a full week for the pain to "settle down" after the extraction. I took antibiotics for the full 5 days, 3 x per day, 500 mg, plus I took pain pills for two days. Stitches dissolved a couple of days ago.

Now the gum on the outside on the back area of where the tooth is has started hurting today. I put my finger in there and it feels like a "pocket" of something painful on the outer gum. What the heck do you think might be going on? Its Mem Day weekend so I dont want to bother the dentist until Tuesday if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 03:33 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Pocket of infection, possibly.

Call anyway....they are on call for YOU and your problems.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Hi, I had a lower molar (#30) extracted a week ago after many tests and consults. It had been bothering me for some time. Tooth was cracked vertically and there was a small infection below it.

It took a full week for the pain to "settle down" after the extraction. I took antibiotics for the full 5 days, 3 x per day, 500 mg, plus I took pain pills for two days. Stitches dissolved a couple of days ago.

Now the gum on the outside on the back area of where the tooth is has started hurting today. I put my finger in there and it feels like a "pocket" of something painful on the outer gum. What the heck do you think might be going on? Its Mem Day weekend so I dont want to bother the dentist until Tuesday if possible.
A bit of infection or a bone fragment, either way contact the office as soon as you can and have it checked.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
It could be an abscess. Contact your doctor.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
A bit of infection or a bone fragment, either way contact the office as soon as you can and have it checked.

Thanks to all. I was thinking bone fragment also. Thought about the oral surgeon when I said, "are you sure you got it all?" he seemed incensed that I would ask such a question. This makes me upset as I have spent several hundred dollars on this tooth outside of insurance coverage just in the last month. Dont know whether to contact oral surgeon now or my regular dentist. Any advice there?

Old 05-25-2014, 07:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I had bone fragments come out for months. If it was a pocket of infection (btdt) it would be soft and squishy. I had that when the tooth was still there.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:05 PM

hunterseat, thanks for the response. how did the bone fragments come out? in the hole where the tooth was extracted or did they come right out of the gum. did you have pain? i am having quite a bit of pain.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:13 PM

I just wanted to update on what happened because I really feel it is important to trust yourself and your own body. Oral surgeons office squeezed me in today, and said it would be no charge when I called. Got there-he said, "it's probably your jaw bone and I really don't want to open that up again, as I wont be able to grind it down and there will be more problems. I said, "I can feel something sharp and I want you to open it up." He said, "If it was my mouth, I would leave it alone." I said, "I want you to open it up. It hurts." He said, "When does it hurt?" I said, "now, but especially in the morning when I lay on that side." He said, " I think you just need to let it heal. You may be grinding your teeth." I said, "no, I am not grinding my teeth." He said, "okay we will take an x-ray and see if there is a piece of tooth or bone there." He took an x-ray. Saw nothing. I said, "I still want you to open it up." He said okay. I suggested I SHOW him where it hurts as the pain was very specifically in one area. He says okay. I point with the instrument and he says, "That is a completely different tooth." I said, no, the pain is in FRONT of the back tooth, towards the back of where the tooth was that you extracted." He went in there and there was a one quarter inch long tooth SHARD with pointed ends on both ends. Even with my gum being nummed up, the pain relief was IMMEDIATE. I asked to see the piece of tooth. It was quite big for being NOTHING. I am very comfortable now, in spite of the fact that he had to stitch it up again. WOW. Dentistry is such a crap shoot!!!!!! Listen to your bodies, people!!!!!! Insist on care when you need it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health