Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Just updating. Had this procedure this morning and feeling fine. Was out at the bar tonight having a good time. Virtually no pain that wasn't managed with Advil. This again was a sinus lift, upper left, with bone grafting and two implants.
I'm not a big fan of immediate implants. The rate of loss is much greater than the usual way due to infection. Make sure you see the doctor for every reevaluation as they should be checking for any signs of infection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 04:44 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I'm not a big fan of immediate implants. The rate of loss is much greater than the usual way due to infection. Make sure you see the doctor for every reevaluation as they should be checking for any signs of infection.
One of the guys I work with had simultaneous bone grafting and implant placement. He lost the implant, so they had to redo the graft, let it heal for a few months, and then redo the implant.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM

506 posts, read 2,574,211 times
I have colleagues that perform sinus lifts and implant placements (same site of course) simultaneously all the time so it can be done. I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Make sure you go to a reputable surgeon and never look for the cheapest surgeon obviously (or the most expensive for that matter).

Old 07-07-2014, 05:19 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,130 times
Thanks for the input.

Just an update. Had the surgery on a week ago Friday. I felt fine Friday and Saturday with minimal swelling. Sunday was the big swelling day, which they said it would be, looked like I had two golf balls in my cheek. No real pain though. By Monday only one golf ball. Tuesday fine. I went Wednesday for him to take a look since we couldn't do a one week follow up due to the holiday. He said everything looks great. I go back a week from this Thursday to get the non-disolving stitches taken out.

This oral surgeon has been practicing for well over 20 years and was the underling to a very prominent area oral surgeon for years. The older surgeon retired about 5 years ago and he took over his practice. He's an excellent surgeon IMO, relates well to his patients and has a very pleasant and helpful office staff. Will update here as things progress. It's looking like I will be able to get the crowns at the end of October the earliest, end of December the latest.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Just posting a follow up. Had my 3 month check today and am told everything looks great.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 15,900 times
Hi, I had two sinus lifts done at the same time..the right side, then the left side..again, THE SAME DAY AND TIME...one right after the other, he started with the right side, soon as he was done with that, he didn't give me a minute to breathe, he started on the left side lol....I was AWAKE the entire time..just made me numb, lots of novacane..but wide awake.....and I WAS FINE..LITTLE SWELLING..NO PAIN AT ALL during and after the surgery.

First off, my dentist gave me pain killers and Sudafed and other prescriptions, mouthwash and antibotics to take BEFORE sugery..about 2 days before. AND THAT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I swear, the swelling was not much and it went down in 3 DAYS, yes 3 days..then my cheeks remained a little swollen but they looked beautiful because I have my missing upper molars (left and right) my face (cheek area) is a little sunken because of the missing teeth .....and with the little swelling that remained, it was full again, I didn't want it to go away lol. My face was actually glowing..I looked like the old me..but eventually the little remaining swelling I had went away..

I also used human bone and not cow bone. I spoke a cancer doctor (not dentist) before sugery and he said he would choose human bone..just his opinion, you can choose whatever you want.

I got my sinus lift done at NYU in April 2014 and have to go back Nov 2014 for the second part, they wanted me to wait 6 months for the bone to get hard. The price is cheaper than any private Dentist. A huge difference and great service.

They do drill and its loud BUT no reason to be scared, you don't feel a thing..... the only annoying part was getting stitches lol..2 weeks and everything healed..you cant even see where the surgery was..
If you want the Dentist I used, let me know.

Last edited by Greyeyedmaiden; 09-20-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 PM

P.S. I recommend getting two done at the same time because it takes a long time to get implants.. you have to wait for bone to get hard..so why do one side then have to wait a year or more, when you can do two and have everything done.

as for infection when you get your implants, get a waterpik and use mouthwash all the time..must keep area clean.

I don't have my implants yet but my doorman has implants, lots of them and that is what he does.

Last edited by Greyeyedmaiden; 09-20-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 07:03 AM

Just following up again. I had my 4 month check and everything looks great. I am schedule for my final appt. with the oral surgeon early next month. Then onto the general dentist for impressions. I should have the two crowns in just before the new year.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:38 AM

Updating again. I had my final appt. at the oral surgeon earlier this month and he said I was good to go. I saw my general dentist last week for the impressions and have an appt. scheduled for 12/30 to get the crowns.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:59 PM

I got my impressions already to see where the nails/screws will go......just waiting for the second part, the drilling of the screws/nails......the school take so long, they are soooooo slow. Closed for the holiday.

its just weird because my gum line in the back is so high where the teeth are missing....so I keep thinking how will it even out with the rest..not sure how they do it..

Glad you are up to the last part..

cant wait!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health