Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,779 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals,

I've found 2 dentists that I think will be able to do a good job at removing my mercury fillings. They say they take insurance "PPO". Dental insurance is all new to me (I'm from England) and I wanted to know what would be the best provider to go with? I was told to stay away from Cobra.

Thanks

Pip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
What will they replace the fillings with?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
What will they replace the fillings with?
Not sure yet. I wanted to do a blood test to see what materials my body works best with. My sister says I should get porcelain. Do you know anything about dental insurance? One company side to me that I'm better off paying out of pocket.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Not sure yet. I wanted to do a blood test to see what materials my body works best with. My sister says I should get porcelain. Do you know anything about dental insurance? One company side to me that I'm better off paying out of pocket.
What blood test gives you this information?

In general, there is no such thing as "dental insurance". These are best viewed as a gift card which covers a percentage (often 80%) of fees up to a yearly maximum. There are also many exclusions and limitations on what you can use the gift card for, and they tend to only cover simple, cheap treatments like cleanings and fillings and some crowns. "Dental insurance" is actually the opposite of insurance.....it would be like your auto insurance paying for your oil changes but not for a major collision. For the cost benefit, "dental insurance" is usually only a good deal if it's purchased for you by someone else (usually an employer). This is because the yearly maximum benefit is around $1200 on average, and the plan costs about $100 per month on average. I'll let you do the math.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,123,752 times
Quote:
What blood test gives you this information?

In general, there is no such thing as "dental insurance". These are best viewed as a gift card which covers a percentage (often 80%) of fees up to a yearly maximum. There are also many exclusions and limitations on what you can use the gift card for, and they tend to only cover simple, cheap treatments like cleanings and fillings and some crowns. "Dental insurance" is actually the opposite of insurance.....it would be like your auto insurance paying for your oil changes but not for a major collision. For the cost benefit, "dental insurance" is usually only a good deal if it's purchased for you by someone else (usually an employer). This is because the yearly maximum benefit is around $1200 on average, and the plan costs about $100 per month on average. I'll let you do the math.
First off dental insurance will not pay for removal of mercury fillings unless they are failing or they discover more decay. My wife is the insurance coordinator for a multi million dental practice in st.pete Florida before that in Chicago Il. She has been doing this for over 25 years. And dental insurance is not like a gift card. THere is Aetna, prudential , and delta. These are major insurance companies for dental insurance. Also most dentist have no clue what insurance will pay thats why they hire people like my wife, all the dentist is concerned with is the bottom line.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:51 PM

I agree the insurance companies will not pay for replacement of fillings unless something is wrong with them. Good point.

The gift card thing is just an analogy. I deal with dental "insurance" every day in my job also and I think it's an accurate analogy:

Like a gift card from a control freak | Mead Family Dental

Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
They will most likely be replaced with composite material. But if they do not need to be replaced, then don't.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 PM

Thanks guys for all you responses. Has been an interesting read. A dentist mentioned 'Care Credit' because she felt there's not many good insurance plans for private dentists. When I looked up CC I found a lot of complaints and scam accusations.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Thanks guys for all you responses. Has been an interesting read. A dentist mentioned 'Care Credit' because she felt there's not many good insurance plans for private dentists. When I looked up CC I found a lot of complaints and scam accusations.
My wife says care care credit is pretty good never had any problems ith them.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I agree the insurance companies will not pay for replacement of fillings unless something is wrong with them. Good point.

The gift card thing is just an analogy. I deal with dental "insurance" every day in my job also and I think it's an accurate analogy:

Like a gift card from a control freak | Mead Family Dental

That's cool my wife and I are from Michigan also that we're she started her dental career. We're from the metro Detroit area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health