Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:50 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,164,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Yes it absolutely is.

I had a spell of bad health and went from having a full set of choppers to losing 6 in 6 months because my dental hygiene slipped.

They went from Perfect to Rotten in under that time - I had 6 root canals and 6 infections too.

The Pain, I cannot describe. Fortunately 3 of the 6 were wisdoms. Now I carefuly polish each individual tooth every day like I have OCD or something.

Your bones get worse as you age too and this is how some folk lose their teeth - the jaw rots rather than the teeth. The decay goes DOWNWARDS. Oh and it can spread too, from tooth to tooth, like a fungus.
Yikes. But at what point would someone forego the root canals and other painful "salvaging of original teeth" and get false teeth? It seems that folks with false teeth (and great false smiles) are happy with their new chompers. Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 12:13 PM

74 posts, read 184,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yikes. But at what point would someone forego the root canals and other painful "salvaging of original teeth" and get false teeth? It seems that folks with false teeth (and great false smiles) are happy with their new chompers. Any insight?
It depends on the patient from what I've read. My stepfather had dentures, but I was too young (think late '80s, early '90ss) to remember if he liked them or not. I'm guessing not. He had terrible teeth, mind you. He was the type to chew on ice so of course that didn't help. Implants were not in his budget either. Some people don't like dentures cause of the kind they bought (not flexible or comfortable enough, the shape is cumbersome, the clasps irritate their mouth, they easily break). I figure the more you are willing to spend on your dentures helps your overall opinion of them. I think I need to get one for a single lower tooth I plan on having removed. I'm sure the cost for one will at least be a minimum of $500. And I want a Valpast so that alone will probably make them more expensive.

Mind you, I'm not in this life for the long haul. I'm only sticking around to care for my mom until she passes away. Others who need absolutely permanent solutions will probably want to spend a good amount on partial/full dentures, or just get the permanent implants or crowns.

Back to the original post topic... yes, regular cleanings do help. And I imagine they're even more important after you've had a root canal, or some kind of replacement put in. We can't go back to bad habits or we'll repeat the costly mistakes.

Last edited by pet1984; 09-16-2016 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-16-2016, 12:15 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,604,689 times
Totally worth it.

Go meet some people who have festering cavities, etc.

Eye opening.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:34 PM

74 posts, read 184,607 times
If you can't afford a lot of expensive work, at least get a cheap dental plan so you can have free/cheap regular cleanings 2x a year (now I know this is the only answer). Granted I think some dentists won't even give you the regular cleanings if periodontal disease is present. I saw that written in small print on the outdoor sign of a modern dental practice nearby.

Does a regular cleaning even help with very minor calculus on the teeth? I imagine they need to scrape below the gum lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health