Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,775 times

Advertisements

I'm pushing 60 and have spent a fortune having my teeth cleaned and filled and filled and cleaned for more than 40 years. Now, I have a dental cleaning three times a year (dental hygienist) and despite a rigourous nightly regime (flossing, water pik and brushing), I still have cavities from time to time (maybe 1 every other year).

In my youth, I had a lot of cavities (and fillings) and dental problems.

I just don't have great teeth and it's depressing.

However, I do still have all my original teeth and have only had two root canals (due to something beyond my control).

In short, I'm starting to wonder, is regular dental cleaning really a good idea or is it something we've just been sold on? Growing up, I don't remember getting my teeth cleaned regularly. Is there any hardcore evidence that it really saves teeth and promotes dental health?

I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'd just like to know more about this because I've got a holy fortune invested in routine dental care in my mouth.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 07:45 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,507 times
Yes it absolutely is.

I had a spell of bad health and went from having a full set of choppers to losing 6 in 6 months because my dental hygiene slipped.

They went from Perfect to Rotten in under that time - I had 6 root canals and 6 infections too.

The Pain, I cannot describe. Fortunately 3 of the 6 were wisdoms. Now I carefuly polish each individual tooth every day like I have OCD or something.

Your bones get worse as you age too and this is how some folk lose their teeth - the jaw rots rather than the teeth. The decay goes DOWNWARDS. Oh and it can spread too, from tooth to tooth, like a fungus.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:55 AM

Thanks so much, Bonnie.

I thought I'd return to this post and find a dozen responses, so I was surprised to find just one - but it's a *really* good response!

After returning from the dentist earlier this week, I felt so depressed and low. I'm doing everything within my power to keep the teeth in good shape and spending a lot of money to do so and yet it doesn't seem to be helping in terms of minimizing dental troubles.

At any rate - thanks for your helpful comments.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Just imagine how horrible your situation would be if you hadn't been taking such good care of your mouth all these years. All those cavities that the dentist found and fixed - if you hadn't gone to the dentist, those cavities would've gotten worse and worse - until eventually they caused pain, abscessed, rotted the tooth completely, causing horrendously bad breath and even more pain, infection in your gums, etc. etc.

You haven't mentioned how much you're paying, but there are dental discount plans that are pretty inexpensive ($10-20 per month). As long as you go to a participating provider, you get your twice-yearly cleanings at half price, a full set of x-rays every 3 years (or a full panoramic every 5 years), and then you pay only $20-30 for fillings and root canal treatments, and reduced costs on crowns and most other dental needs.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:49 AM

350 posts, read 415,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'm pushing 60 and have spent a fortune having my teeth cleaned and filled and filled and cleaned for more than 40 years. Now, I have a dental cleaning three times a year (dental hygienist) and despite a rigourous nightly regime (flossing, water pik and brushing), I still have cavities from time to time (maybe 1 every other year).

In my youth, I had a lot of cavities (and fillings) and dental problems.

I just don't have great teeth and it's depressing.

However, I do still have all my original teeth and have only had two root canals (due to something beyond my control).

In short, I'm starting to wonder, is regular dental cleaning really a good idea or is it something we've just been sold on? Growing up, I don't remember getting my teeth cleaned regularly. Is there any hardcore evidence that it really saves teeth and promotes dental health?

I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'd just like to know more about this because I've got a holy fortune invested in routine dental care in my mouth.

Thanks.
Sometimes I wonder that with everyone having multiple cleanings every year, electric toothbrushes, irrigators, and other cleaning tools people still have massive problems (especially gum problems) and blame themselves - I must be doing something wrong! Could it be something else? Vitamin deficiencies (esp Vit D) causes gum problems however I've never heard a dentist recommend taking vitamin D. They typically only recommend yet another procedure. Deep cleaning anyone?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I'm 78 this year, the numbers keep growing. I have a mouthful of dental work and ate lots of sugar crap most of my early life. I was raised in fluoridated water and now battle that "fraud"...over 6 decades. I have a post in Daily Journal. I did all the "right" instructions, but mostly cleanings once a year, I know a friend who goes every 3 months...she smoked early in her life so her mouth is worse off.

Since I'm in the "battle" I get mail daily on our fight.

http://windsorstar.com/opinion/lette...h-fluoridation

For the last 10 yrs I've had better dental health and have not gone to a dentist office for over 4 yrs...last time it was a cleaning for $65 and no xrays.

I have a "system" to keep my mouth in good/better shape at this late date BUT don't know if I can talk about it here in this area. I was told I had deep pockets back in the late 80's and that deep scaling is something I "needed"...never did it and today my gums are tight, no pockets. Over years from that deep pocket dx, a new dentist NEVER mentioned deep pockets....

Again, I don't know IF I can talk about my "system" that I use to keep my teeth in better condition. Maybe someone can tell me. Or maybe I should post my "system" in the alternative area.

BTW: I know a lot of older women, I play bridge. And one lady who is now 80+ has good looking strong teeth. I asked her once who was her dentist as I was looking for a new person, and she gave me his name but then said she rarely goes...she cleans her teeth real good on her own she says.

Side Story: This is so hard for me to swallow...my 19 yr old grandgirl went thru expensive braces and ended up with beautiful straight teeth, I thought they were beautiful before, but Today, all the push for extra work is unbelievable...well after braces were removed, the dentist did some fluoride baths, I don't know how much...but she showed me how she ended up with dental fluorosis, those beautiful strong teeth now mottled.

I have a friend who talks about her 3 adult sons who all have fluorosis as she bought into the fluoride baths way back...She also deals with very thin enamel from fluoride too as she bought into it. She's taking something now to help strengthen the enamel.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-26-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I have a friend who talks about her 3 adult sons who all have fluorosis as she bought into the fluoride baths way back...She also deals with very thin enamel from fluoride too as she bought into it. She's taking something now to help strengthen the enamel.
What can you take to strengthen the enamel? I'm *very* interested in that!!

I'm already taking multi-vitamins, and have dramatically decreased my sugar intake and am practicing scrupulous dental hygiene.

Tell me more!

Old 09-15-2016, 08:48 PM

74 posts, read 183,689 times
Yes. And a lot of plans, even cheap HMOs, will give you two free regular cleanings a year. I wish I had done that instead of waited, and then developed some minor calculus on my bottom front teeth. Nearly $500 for four quad deep cleans!

Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM

629 posts, read 933,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet1984 View Post
Yes. And a lot of plans, even cheap HMOs, will give you two free regular cleanings a year. I wish I had done that instead of waited, and then developed some minor calculus on my bottom front teeth. Nearly $500 for four quad deep cleans!
$500 for four quads of deep cleaning is a good price.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:28 AM

74 posts, read 183,689 times
Compared to other prices people pay, yes. I'm just saying it's a lot for me as I don't have an actual income (I'm a full-time caretaker for a sick parent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health