Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:31 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

I think it depends too on the age of the person, as I said above, I never liked the invasive work done and especially mouth but maybe I'd think differently if I were 40-50 vs in my 70's almost 80's. I have a 3 tooth flipper and it's so good and cleaning it is no issue for me.

We are all so unique and that goes for our thinking for certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I think it depends too on the age of the person, as I said above, I never liked the invasive work done and especially mouth but maybe I'd think differently if I were 40-50 vs in my 70's almost 80's. I have a 3 tooth flipper and it's so good and cleaning it is no issue for me.

We are all so unique and that goes for our thinking for certain.
I don't want a removable partial, that's not even something I would consider, but I understand why you would get one if the idea of tooth prep for crowns or implant surgery bothers you.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't want a removable partial, that's not even something I would consider, but I understand why you would get one if the idea of tooth prep for crowns or implant surgery bothers you.
Yep, that's why I say we're all unique...what works for me, doesn't work for others. And for me, money has been a concern all my life and I've learned FOR ME, what is important and what is not for me.

Like I work with all home remedies for mouth and body and some just can't grasp that.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:26 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
thanks for sharing your experience, what I hate most about the bridge is the constant problem of cleaning food from the space where there's no tooth.
What I hate most about the bridge was losing the other teeth. Before then I had a flipper for a long while just to keep the space as is without the neighboring guys shifting around. But that is seriously not for everyone - it was low tech and non-invasive and gave me time to think.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:38 AM

608 posts, read 516,218 times
I had major dental work including implants done at about age 60. I was lacking bone in a couple locations for implants, so they did bone grafts, and after six months for them to take hold my implants were done. The only downside to the whole thing was the time for all my work to feel like my normal teeth. I wasn't in pain, but when I ate I felt weird pressure across some bridges etc. Just didn't feel normal for at least a couple months, but now they feel completely normal. I was only sure of one thing when I decided to get the work done. I did not want to leave my teeth in a jar when I went to bed. If anyone is interested I posted some details of the work I had done in Costa Rica in another thread.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:02 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
thanks for sharing your experience, what I hate most about the bridge is the constant problem of cleaning food from the space where there's no tooth.
I have 2 implants next to each other on my bottom left and food gets stuck between them more often than under a 3 tooth bridge I have on the bottom right. Maybe the implants are not close enough together, but it's no bother cleaning them and I would get them again in a heartbeat!

My implants replaced an old bridge on teeth 18, 19 and 20. Tooth 18 completely decayed under the anchoring crown and I did not know it, the crown was no longer attached to the tooth. I felt no pain and didn't understand how that had happened without pain. This was about 10 years ago when I was not flossing daily or cleaning under the bridge well enough. The options I had were 1) implants or 2) removable partial. Since it was the bottom and I had heard horror stories of plates on the bottom of your mouth, I went with the 2 implants.

My bridge on the right (teeth 28, 29, 30) is in good shape, I do floss it nightly and use floss with a floss threader (not) nightly. I better start again or I might lose this bridge!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 05-29-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I have 2 implants next to each other on my bottom left and food gets stuck between them more often than under a 3 tooth bridge I have on the bottom right. Maybe the implants are not close enough together, but it's no bother cleaning them and I would get them again in a heartbeat!

My implants replaced an old bridge on teeth 18, 19 and 20. Tooth 18 completely decayed under the anchoring crown and I did not know it, the crown was no longer attached to the tooth. I felt no pain and didn't understand how that had happened without pain. This was about 10 years ago when I was not flossing daily or cleaning under the bridge well enough. The options I had were 1) implants or 2) removable bridge. Since it was the bottom and I had heard horror stories of plates on the bottom of your mouth, I went with the 2 implants.

My bridge on the right (teeth 28, 29, 30) is in good shape, I do floss it nightly and use floss with a floss threader (not) nightly. I better start again or I might lose this bridge!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
I have a bunch of crowns and the margins are very tight so I am always getting food stuck between my teeth, I floss regularly but access to the pontic on the bridge is tight so the only way I can floss is to use a floss threader or super floss and when I go away for a weekend I always forget to bring either one so I have to deal with food stuck there or I dig at it with a toothpick lol. What a pain! The tooth under the crowns could be completely rotten and I wouldn't know it because I have root canals in both teeth, so it wouldn't hurt if it was decayed. When I got one of the root canals on the tooth on the bridge, the dentist was convinced that the tooth was decayed so he cut the bridge off and there was no decay. I wish they would invent something to see through the metal on crowns, I don't like these guessing games lol.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I was only sure of one thing when I decided to get the work done. I did not want to leave my teeth in a jar when I went to bed.
That is exactly how I feel and why I will do whatever to make sure I have teeth that I don't take out at night, that just isn't acceptable to me!

Old 12-03-2017, 04:49 PM

731 posts, read 678,780 times
I had a 5 tooth upper bridge lasted 20 years. One tooth, a fang, I called San Francisco, then a space, then Angel Island, a space, then Oakland. Well Oakland rotted off (and Oakland is a pretty rotten city) and I did not know it due to it being a root canal. So I got my dentist, who I just love, to 'nuke Oakland', pull Oakland and saw the bridge replacing it off. He did but he did not like to leave the rootless tooth at the edge of the bridge, said it would rock and come loose. A couple of years later it did. So he said the option is have a flipper or have implants, three for the five tooth bridge replacement. I went for implants so he pulled all the remaining teeth and made me a flipper while it heals for 3 or 4 months. Next, I am going for the implant screws which also have to heal for 3 months. Then the new "Bay Bridge" for those of you that live in San Francisco. SO I am wondering how you all like your implants. I understand they take a while to get used to. My dentist says he has never known a patient that has names for their teeth.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Wow, I had the same thing happened to me, but I only had a 3 tooth bridge, lower left. "Oakland" totally rotted and I never knew it, I had no pain no nothing... of course this was when I ignored going to the dentist for a few years. I had 2 implants and totally love them! I'd do this again over a removable denture if I had to. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health