Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:00 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

I am convinced I need to get one, but I'm afraid it's going to hurt. Never using anything like this before and having sensitive teeth with bone loss - I'm not sure I would be able to use it. Maybe with warm water and a low setting. Most of them only have 2 settings, and don't seem to consider people like me that need to start gradually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:14 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times
I think the waterpik is a wonderful adjunct to flossing and I, personally, have seen success with patients that I have recommended getting one! Do you generally have sensitivity when brushing or drinking cold water? If so then using the warm water and low setting should help. Do you use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth? If not, try it for at LEAST two weeks and see if that helps cut down on your sensitivity. Also look online for coupons to help with some money off! I hope you give it a try and that you see good results as well!!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
I think the waterpik is a wonderful adjunct to flossing and I, personally, have seen success with patients that I have recommended getting one! Do you generally have sensitivity when brushing or drinking cold water? If so then using the warm water and low setting should help. Do you use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth? If not, try it for at LEAST two weeks and see if that helps cut down on your sensitivity. Also look online for coupons to help with some money off! I hope you give it a try and that you see good results as well!!
I didn't think to look for coupons, thanks for that suggestion. I ordered some orajel. Thought I could paint my teeth with it, the first couple times of use, to get me thru the initial trial. I am eager to try it, but leary at the same time. I don't use a fluoride toothpaste.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times
Orajel will not help with sensitivity on the tooth surface. It's mostly for soft tissue or gum pain and is really not a good idea to use in large amounts. Sensitive toothpaste has potassium nitrate in it which is what helps ward off the sensitivity. Fluoride will help as well but if you don't use it that's fine too. Tom's of Maine has a sensitive toothpaste that has no fluoride but does have the potassium nitrate. You can google the Hydrodynamic theory of hypersensitivity regarding why you might be experiencing sensitivity and how the potassium nitrate will work. Hope that info helps you find some relief! I have some sensitive teeth myself so I can understand the discomfort.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:31 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I am convinced I need to get one, but I'm afraid it's going to hurt. Never using anything like this before and having sensitive teeth with bone loss - I'm not sure I would be able to use it. Maybe with warm water and a low setting. Most of them only have 2 settings, and don't seem to consider people like me that need to start gradually.
I would consult with your dentist and hygienist what would be best for you given the issue of bone loss.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:54 PM

I got the Ultra Waterflosser because it had such a wide range of tools and adjustments to the water jet. I got it today and just tried it. I could not be happier. I tried it at the lowest setting and will bump it up next time, this thing is fabulous.
For perio disease I will either be adding hydrogen peroxide to the warm water or this new tincture I just bought called Gum Health by enerfood.com. I'm on my way to saving my teeth! yay

Thank you for your input. I hope this thread helps someone else thinking about this product.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Periodontal disease | University of Maryland Medical Center

Old 07-27-2018, 08:43 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I want to bump this thread as during my cleaning yesterday the hygenist suggested I get a Waterpik - I have really tightly spaced teeth but also an issue in one area where there is a crown (the upper space between the teeth has a gap that catches things and has some inflammation, bacteria, bone loss...) - I just call the office after doing some price searching and she said I could just get the hand-held one (no room on my bathroom sink counter). I've read some reviews though that people have said there are issues w/mold as you can't really get all the water out. Hoping someone has a hand-held one they can recommend? Also any tips on where it might be the cheapest. TIA

Old 07-27-2018, 01:44 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
I have a similar issue to yours with the tight spaces, etc. I currently have a Waterpik Water Flosser Cordless Express. I previously had two Waterpik rechargeable water flossers (don't remember their exact name). One died an early death from a bearing problem and the other eventually just became painfully slow so it was retired. It was several years old by then.

I much prefer the cordless version, even though it is a bit of a battery hog. I found the rechargeable ones to be cumbersome as I don't have a whole lot of counter space to devote to the things. The cordless is much more manageable and easy to take with me for travel. It even says on the box, which is right here with me, that it's waterproof and safe to use in the shower. Hmmm. Never thought of doing that.

If it has a mold problem, I'm not aware of it. I remove the reservoir periodically and wash that. I suppose it could have mold inside the water line where I can't see it. But I'm very sensitive to mold and I haven't had any problem so maybe that means something. I do make a point of running all the water through and then pouring any remaining water out of the reservoir. I also leave the filler cap open between uses so that the tank can dry out.

When it dies, I'll get another just like it. I got all of mine at Walmart. I have the receipt right here . . . bought it 9/3/2017. It was $36.76. It's still under warranty hence why I still have the info at my fingertips. I'm really not a packrat!

Hope that helps.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:26 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Thanks!! Would you mind telling me the model so I can do a search? (and I am a Walmart total avoider - ours are horrible here, LOL). I read some reviews of cordless and some folks had an issue w/the fact that it didn't work on their faucet. (and I am a bit of a packrat in that I keep my receipts, manuals, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health