Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 998 times

Advertisements

brief summary:

Dec 4 - 6 month cleaning. x-rays taken. dentist suggested replacing filling on back left lower moler

Dec 10 - filling completed by dental assistant and checked by dentist. silver filling.

Dec 14 - begin to notice pressure type pain in tooth. maybe a 3 out of 10 on the pain scale.

Dec 18 - dentist does pressure test, pokes and scrapes, no pain, and decides to drill and adjust bite. tells me tooth is only painful bc it went through 'an assault' and bc I clench my teeth when I sleep it makes it hurt more than normal - which I didn't know that I did.
I was concerned about an infection and possible root canal or extraction but he says nothing to worry about.

Tooth has hurt worse since last appointment. maybe reaching 5 or 6 out of 10 on pain scale. I bought a dental guard from cvs and take Advil but doesn't really solve the problem.

not sensitive to hot or cold or brushing or biting and I have been chewing on the opposite side of my mouth to 'rest' the tooth.

my question is is this normal? and how much longer should I wait to see if the pain resolves itself on its own, as the dentist indicated?

A filling has never bothered me this much or this long before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 01:14 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
I'd get a second opinion if it doesn't ease up soon, especially if the pain is as high as a 6. Was it a big filling? How old was it? The inflammation or infection of the pulp can be caused by deep decay, repeated dental procedures on the tooth, or a crack or chip in the tooth.

I had a big filling done at 14 and I needed a root canal 10 years later. He told me that would eventually happen, so it wasn't a surprise. The pain was basically unbearable because I kept putting it off, so don't do that.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:02 AM

8 posts, read 5,655 times
The pain lasts for a few days.If it doesn't go away even after a few days you should visit your dentist there could be some problem.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
OP: There is nothing normal after a doc/dentist works on us. I've had plenty of fillings in my life BUT never was talked into replacing a filling, maybe next time you will thing long and hard on that decision.

You might consider working with myrrh tincture and/or tea tree oil and dab the area with alternates of these. I use them if I ever feel a pain issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health