Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:57 PM

13 posts, read 10,136 times

Advertisements

Ok, just 2 weeks ago I purchased my first electronic tooth bruch, oral b pro 500, and have had lots of fun with it so I have been cleaning after every meal like I should have been, but I'm 35yrs old and I had stopped brushing regularly when I was in my early 20's, and as a result I have lost 3 of my molars, so my main concerns are to preserve the rest of my teeth.

I have been using sensadine pronamel which is suppose to be daily protection and strengthen my teeth enamel, and I use colgate after to help whiten my teeth. my questions are, does anyone have experience using either of these toothpastes, and do they work? I have noticed my teeth have whitened a bit so far, the colgate whitening toothpaste I just bought tofay, and I want to know will this colgate mess up the enamel repair and daily protection I use? I first use the enamel repair toothpaste, then the whitening tooth paste?

Another thing, I have breaks in 3 of my other molars, I do need to set up an aoopointment to get them filled but will the enamel repair help keep them strong until I get them filled? Any advice on what I should buy if these toothpastes arent the best for what I need out of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by android17ak47 View Post
Ok, just 2 weeks ago I purchased my first electronic tooth bruch, oral b pro 500, and have had lots of fun with it so I have been cleaning after every meal like I should have been, but I'm 35yrs old and I had stopped brushing regularly when I was in my early 20's, and as a result I have lost 3 of my molars, so my main concerns are to preserve the rest of my teeth.

I have been using sensadine pronamel which is suppose to be daily protection and strengthen my teeth enamel, and I use colgate after to help whiten my teeth. my questions are, does anyone have experience using either of these toothpastes, and do they work? I have noticed my teeth have whitened a bit so far, the colgate whitening toothpaste I just bought tofay, and I want to know will this colgate mess up the enamel repair and daily protection I use? I first use the enamel repair toothpaste, then the whitening tooth paste?

Another thing, I have breaks in 3 of my other molars, I do need to set up an aoopointment to get them filled but will the enamel repair help keep them strong until I get them filled? Any advice on what I should buy if these toothpastes arent the best for what I need out of them.

By "breaks" do you mean cavities? If they are cavities, get them filled now before they get bigger and reach the nerve. Enamel repair by fluoride toothpaste can be accomplished in the very earliest stage of decay (fluoride can remineralize tiny tiny cavities that are just starting), but it won't reverse advanced decay.

You haven't mentioned flossing. Your toothbrush (no matter what toothpaste you use) only cleans part of each tooth, and you need floss to clean between the teeth and under the gumline. If I could only do one thing - either brush, or floss - I'd floss.

The Pronamel toothpaste doesn't have several ingredients, and that is the reason the manufacturer says Pronamel is able to "repair" enamel, so immediately using another toothpaste with those same ingredients just cancels out the proclaimed enamel repair benefits. I'd use one or the other--whichever has fluoride. Using both is overkill.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 PM

23,308 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:

Everyone's teeth are different. If you have breaks (cracks? cavities?) in molars that is not just in the enamel. If you brush and floss often that will help reduce food particles and bacteria that promote more decay. Oral rinses can also help reduce bacteria, but if you already have a cavity it has to be repaired.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 PM

to reply to both posts,

I do have one cavity, but the other teeth are chips just above the gums, almost like a hole but no black coloring like a cavity. As far as I know the one cavity isnt advanced, Im going to call and set up an appointment with my dentist tomorrow, hopefully he can get me in soon to get fills because Im in N.Y. and am moving to Georgia in may.

I am using a toothpaste that protects enamel(sensadine) which I thought was meant to repair(im a toothpaste newb lol), and the other is for whitening. I hope neither cancels each other out.

I was flossing but i was under the impression these expensive toothbrushes i bought got between the teeth, they certainly feel like they do. ive only gone the past two days without flossing, i'll start flossing again immediately if yall say i should.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I was flossing but i was under the impression these expensive toothbrushes i bought got between the teeth, they certainly feel like they do. ive only gone the past two days without flossing, i'll start flossing again immediately if yall say i should.
Floss. Brush bristles (electric brush or manual) don't fit everywhere and those tight spots tend to be where bacteria sits undisturbed longer. The longer it sits the more plaque builds up. This is what you want to get rid of. Again, some people have tougher teeth than others. Genetics in their favor. Some people are more cavity-prone than others and diet plays into that. Your dentist sees your teeth in person.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Floss. Brush bristles (electric brush or manual) don't fit everywhere and those tight spots tend to be where bacteria sits undisturbed longer. The longer it sits the more plaque builds up. This is what you want to get rid of. Again, some people have tougher teeth than others. Genetics in their favor. Some people are more cavity-prone than others and diet plays into that. Your dentist sees your teeth in person.
i already started flossing and did notice some plaque come out from in between my teeth so thanks. my problem is that ive had a bad habit of eating bones, it became a habit from when i was a young teen teen in a boys home that starved me, and i started eating bones, usually when i eat chicken i began eating the bones and i believe that contributed to breakage. ive had sections of my molars just break off and expose the nerve, and had them removed. some day ill put out the $2k for implants and do my best to preserve the rest of my teeth.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,136 times
It is important to floss your teeth along with brushing to have a great dental health.You can try a water flosser it works amazingly.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukritiS View Post
It is important to floss your teeth along with brushing to have a great dental health.You can try a water flosser it works amazingly.
i was thinking of buying one. I've been buying all my dental care item's at my local rite aid pharmacy, kind of expensive there but ill be without a vehicle untill next month and my local walmart is 3 miles away vs rite aid beinga few blocks away. the water flossers are i think around $70, i think ill pick one up in a couple weeks.

btw should this oral b pro-500 be all i need for an electronic toothbrush? i noticed they make one called the pro-8000. is that unnecessary to buy the more expensive one or is the 8000 more powerful?

Old 02-11-2019, 12:09 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
to reply to both posts,

I do have one cavity, but the other teeth are chips just above the gums, almost like a hole but no black coloring like a cavity. As far as I know the one cavity isnt advanced, Im going to call and set up an appointment with my dentist tomorrow, hopefully he can get me in soon to get fills because Im in N.Y. and am moving to Georgia in may.

I am using a toothpaste that protects enamel(sensadine) which I thought was meant to repair(im a toothpaste newb lol), and the other is for whitening. I hope neither cancels each other out.

The chips above the gums sound like abrasion from brushing too hard. It's common and I've seen it many times.

Yes, floss.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
i was thinking of buying one. I've been buying all my dental care item's at my local rite aid pharmacy, kind of expensive there but ill be without a vehicle untill next month and my local walmart is 3 miles away vs rite aid beinga few blocks away. the water flossers are i think around $70, i think ill pick one up in a couple weeks.

btw should this oral b pro-500 be all i need for an electronic toothbrush? i noticed they make one called the pro-8000. is that unnecessary to buy the more expensive one or is the 8000 more powerful?
OP I suspect you are overthinking this a bit. Using a water flosser instead of doing it the old fashioned manual way is just another option but may not make that much difference overall. Doing either is sort of the main point.

The differences between brush models are pretty fine details. As long as you actually use the brush for the recommended length of time on a regular basis it will work. Your enamel is already damaged...why risk more abrasion by using the more powerful brush? You are removing plaque and food, not cement!

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-11-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health