Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 08:34 PM

12 posts, read 8,771 times

Advertisements

This is not exactly my case. I always clean, but there is just not much that I can do, because most of the surfaces are simply not touchable. There is a sharp pain even on the outside of the tooth, which, IIRC when I was a kid, was only on the inside of the live teeth the dentists were drilling. After all their drill "work", now most of the outer surface is painfully sensitive. I don't know what the hell did they do to me and why did they do that but now it is my problem. One dentist here, told me that I brush too much, and that because of that, I have worn out my teeth? I don't think I am in any way obsessive about this, because of the issue i have explained above.

Sooo.... I got it, I think. There is no consultancy. You said it, Toofache32. Also there were 180 views on this thread, somebody would mention something if there was such a service. I think I am done with this.

Thank you so much, Toofache32 and Ghaati, for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 04:32 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey-13 View Post
Hello everybody, newbie here.

I have this problem I can't seem to solve:

I am looking for a Dental Consulting Service. If you know one, please, share with me.

---------------------------------details------------------------------------
I am a middle age man who find himself with a mouth of rotten, cracked and chipped teeth.
Reasons:
-born in a county untouched by dentistry and pain killers
-had bad luck with dentists in childhood where most of the damage was done
-not sure if I am hypersensitive because every procedure was like an execution with a circular saw

-developed a severe fear of dentistry and lack of belief in usefulness of dental work
-allowed myself to have bad hygiene habits due to painful mouth, open roots, etc.
-failed to conquer my fears
-time lost without any action

So, mainly, this is my own fault, just wanted to get this out of the way.

Want to (not really, but forcing myself) do something about it, I need to make a step. Maybe I can take another step after that.

Due to severity of my situation, I think I should be careful about my choices. This is because I think with so much work required, I literally, won't be able to afford any detours.

Would like to receive a good consultation on my choices, solutions, pros, cons.
I do not mind to pay for the consultation, needed x-rays, etc. I am not where I could say "money isn't a problem", but I certainly understand that no one likes to do complicated work without compensation.

However, I think that I can not go to a dentist and ask his opinion if he is looking to get the work, because, it would be a biased opinion, it will not include any technologies that dentist does not provide, therefore some better technologies / approaches possibly won't even get mentioned.

Consulting several dentists makes for the averaging, but does not deal with exclusion of options that may not be available in the area.

I think in a country as developed as the USA, there must be someone providing a paid consultations about dentistry options, who is paid from a patient and not from the referrals (because the referrals should create the same bias again). For some weird reason all I see are the consulting firms consulting the dentists, NOT the patients !?!? Maybe I am wrong about the country?

I see that there are some actual dentists on this board, I figured if such service exist they might know?

Or, am I asking at the wrong place?

Thank you for reading and maybe for your advice!

I'm 1st generation Hungarian born in the US. I guess my parents didn't know what dental care was until I was 11 around 1976. Like you, the dentist drilled without anything. It hurt like heck! The only time I had anesthesia was when they pulled 4 teeth.

Eventually I found a really good dentist, I had insurance. I had bad teeth but paid to fix them. I did what I could such as root canals and caps.

I made sure that my kids have always had dental care from the time they had teeth.

Lost dental insurance in 2011. I have health issues, one is a connective tissue disorder (CTD) that affects my teeth to where they break at the gum line. My daughter who I spent over $10,000 on her teeth with braces ended up getting my bad teeth. Getting braces is the worst thing to do for people with a CTD. She's 27, her teeth are also breaking at the gum line.

I finally got Delta Dental insurance. I was hoping to be able to save my teeth like you're hoping but they're too far gone. Hopefully yours are not.

Insurance only pays so much. I decided to try the local dental school. They sent me to Penn University Dental in Philly saying that if there's any hope for my teeth, they would have the newest technology. There is an issue where my bite is off that the local dental school is not comfortable with.

Philly wants to do snap in dentures which cost $14,000. COVID hit before I could find out the true price after insurance kicks in.

Since I have health issues that include allergies to medications and vaccines, I've decided I'm not going to push my luck with implants because I could end up being allergic to the implant metal. I mention it because some people do have issues with it, some also have issues with some caps due to the material they're made out of if not porcelain. If I remember correctly, there were posts in this section.

Best advice I have is to see if you can find a dental university in California because it will be a lot cheaper and they may have the newest technology too. I did a google search for you 92627 dental university school, I also see Top 10 Best Dental School in Orange County, CA
University of California, Irvine

To give you an idea of prices, they charge $100 per extraction. The oral surgeon that I normally use charges close to $400 per tooth.

If you have insurance, it will only cover so much every year, with needing so much work, your insurance dollars will go farther at the dental university. If you saw a regular dentist, you may have to start work now, then wait until January 1st to do more.

Lastly, find a Facebook group for your local area. We have one in our town called town talk. There's also one for my development that I run. Make a post saying you need a lot of dental work done asking for referrals, then go to google and read reviews. You can do the same on the NextDoor site.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:57 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
All-on-4 are implant dentures. They're snap-ons. You get all your teeth pulled. They put 2 implants on the upper right, 2 on the upper left. 2 on the bottom right, to on the bottom left. They connect each pair with a small solid gold bar (because gold is more flexible than steel or other metals). The denture snaps onto each pair. So all the upper denture is on 4 implants. All the lower is on 4 implants.

What you're describing, your idea of getting all the work done -instead- of implant dentures, sounds like a lot more work than implant dentures. More work, more visits, more recovery periods, more trauma to your jaw and sinuses, more expense.

I think last time I heard that removing 20 teeth which is one procedure. Then getting the implants which is 2 procedures because you have to wait to put the abutments in while the gums and bone beneath them heal. Getting a temporary set of dentures to wear while all that is healing. And then the final dentures and adjustments.

is around $18,000

Just getting one tooth drilled, filled, and crowned can cost $1000. And you have a minimum of 20 teeth that need to get done. Plus it doesn't get done all at once. Each tooth needs more than one visit, and the work to do the drilling and make the temporary crown (if needed) can take an hour. That's 20 hours, more or less.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:01 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
All-on-4 are implant dentures. They're snap-ons. You get all your teeth pulled. They put 2 implants on the upper right, 2 on the upper left. 2 on the bottom right, to on the bottom left. They connect each pair with a small solid gold bar (because gold is more flexible than steel or other metals). The denture snaps onto each pair. So all the upper denture is on 4 implants. All the lower is on 4 implants.

What you're describing, your idea of getting all the work done -instead- of implant dentures, sounds like a lot more work than implant dentures. More work, more visits, more recovery periods, more trauma to your jaw and sinuses, more expense.

I think last time I heard that removing 20 teeth which is one procedure. Then getting the implants which is 2 procedures because you have to wait to put the abutments in while the gums and bone beneath them heal. Getting a temporary set of dentures to wear while all that is healing. And then the final dentures and adjustments.

is around $18,000

Just getting one tooth drilled, filled, and crowned can cost $1000. And you have a minimum of 20 teeth that need to get done. Plus it doesn't get done all at once. Each tooth needs more than one visit, and the work to do the drilling and make the temporary crown (if needed) can take an hour. That's 20 hours, more or less.

Lots of inaccurate info here. What you describe is a "bar overdenture". It's removable and not done very often since it's almost expensive as a fixed solution (all on 4). Yes the bar overdenture is often on 4 implants but that is not the same as "all on 4". All on 4 is a concept, not a number of implants. Sometimes it's all on 5 or all on 6. All on 4 is NOT a denture. It's a bridge.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:34 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
There's not much new in dental technology that you cannot get at most offices. I would actually be wary of something you can only get in a few places because either it's too new to know the long-term results, or the science behind it is lacking. If the science is strong, many dentists will quickly pick up that technology.
Speaking of technology....can you comment on what happened to the "mini media blaster" that my childhood dentist used ? Talk about painless....why didn't it catch on for replacing the dreaded drill for cavities ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-19-2021, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 464 times
Hey. I really feel identified with your situation. I had a terrible dental condition for years, mainly due to lack of hygiene among other things. When I finally decided to visit the dentist, I got to admit that it was almost too late. I lost 3 teeth, had so so much decay. Fortunately, the dentist, Dr. Mike Renaurd, he was a magical person. He treated me with so much respect and, against all odds, he managed to rescue my mouth. He said I had to improve my dental care, which was no surprise. He prescribed some antibiotics, coal toothpaste (which you can get in any local store or amazon) and a wonderful pill “Steel Bite” which helps to strengthen the jaw and the teeth (at first I thought it was a joke because of the funny name but I trusted my dentist so I went online I got it https://bit.ly/3u3i2U6, totally recommend it). After 3 months of this, I can finally say that I’m happy with my teeth. So, to everyone going through a similar problem, it’s time to take better care of your teeth. I’m sure you think that they are indestructible, but you need to take care of them EVERY DAY!

Old 05-20-2021, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

is around $18,000

When I went to Penn Dental in Philly, I believe it was 6 implants on the top and 6 on the bottom for the snap in dentures. I'd have to look at my paper work to be positive but I'm pretty sure it was 12 total.

The price in Philly was $15,000 that included removal of the rest of my teeth. They were going to pull them all at once, then fit the dentures the same day. When healed, I'd go back to have the implants. I decided I didn't want to spend that kind of money, especially when I may have an allergy to the implant. I have tons of allergies, even to fillers in medications so it wouldn't surprise me to be allergic to the implant too.

They then changed the plan. They would pull some of my teeth and not give me the denture that day. I had to process this because walking around for a month or more with no teeth would be traumatic. Then COVID happened, they shut down. I have not gone back yet and won't until I'm forced to finish it. I'm not getting a vaccine because of allergies but I'm still undecided, I may break down and do the one and done J&J so I'm at least covered to get the work done.

Old 05-21-2021, 06:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
When I went to Penn Dental in Philly, I believe it was 6 implants on the top and 6 on the bottom for the snap in dentures. I'd have to look at my paper work to be positive but I'm pretty sure it was 12 total.

The price in Philly was $15,000 that included removal of the rest of my teeth. They were going to pull them all at once, then fit the dentures the same day. When healed, I'd go back to have the implants. I decided I didn't want to spend that kind of money, especially when I may have an allergy to the implant. I have tons of allergies, even to fillers in medications so it wouldn't surprise me to be allergic to the implant too.

They then changed the plan. They would pull some of my teeth and not give me the denture that day. I had to process this because walking around for a month or more with no teeth would be traumatic. Then COVID happened, they shut down. I have not gone back yet and won't until I'm forced to finish it. I'm not getting a vaccine because of allergies but I'm still undecided, I may break down and do the one and done J&J so I'm at least covered to get the work done.
Are they requiring a vaccine to get the work done? I too still need to have my dental surgery which Covid put a delay on, but do not wish to get a vaccine at this time due to my many allergies and tendency toward blood clots.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:58 AM

747 posts, read 579,586 times
Maybe a dental school, part of a university, will know. Or a dentist or students will answer your questions.

They do free or low priced work but it may be very slow and unpleasant for you.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Are they requiring a vaccine to get the work done? I too still need to have my dental surgery which Covid put a delay on, but do not wish to get a vaccine at this time due to my many allergies and tendency toward blood clots.
I haven't gotten a vaccine yet. I don't know if they will require it at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health