Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2022, 04:02 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times

Advertisements

I have teeth that have been worn down over the years. I do not know if it was from grinding or something else.

My front teeth have a few teeth that are close to the nerve.

I have had 4 dentists in 2 years tell me that to fix this -- and they say I will have to fix it - I will need to have 40K worth of work.

I simply can't understand why.

As far as I get it, it is because if they adjust one tooth it will throw of my bite.

This is a reason that I have to have all the work done quickly and cannot have it done over time to allow for dental insurance.

Never ever any alternative is offered.

I am 50 years old and I refuse to spend 40 K on my teeth. I don't see why they can't just put a crown on.

But every doctor says this... and when I voice my objections they just say it is impossible as a crown would throw off my bite.

Anyone know?

I mean why can't I just pull the teeth and put in a bridge or a implant.

How do I find a dentist that will give me sane options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 08:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I've had a lot of dental work and there are a lot of technical alignment issues with the bite that can cause problems if uneven. I'm surprised that long before now they didn't prescribe a night guard for you, to prevent grinding when sleeping. That might have stopped the problem well before it got to this point. I have had a few implants and you don't want that, if on a budget, they run about $4,000/tooth. Removal and a bridge is probably a lot less expensive, I would see a dentist that specializes in bridges.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:54 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I've had a lot of dental work and there are a lot of technical alignment issues with the bite that can cause problems if uneven. I'm surprised that long before now they didn't prescribe a night guard for you, to prevent grinding when sleeping. That might have stopped the problem well before it got to this point. I have had a few implants and you don't want that, if on a budget, they run about $4,000/tooth. Removal and a bridge is probably a lot less expensive, I would see a dentist that specializes in bridges.
I refuse to wear the night guard.

And I refuse to drop 40 K on dental treatment.

Literally since I was 34 they have been telling me that "any day now" i am going to have to have this 40K of work.

I have dental insurance and it would cover most everything if we could do the work slowly and over a longer period of time.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:14 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
If you have the time to travel to Mexico, the cost could be 25% of what you've been quoted here....and they will likely file with your insurance carrier.

link

Old 01-27-2022, 02:50 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Its one thing if one dentist recommends a course of treatment but quite another if multiple dentists are telling you much the same thing. Maybe there's something to it.

One of several interesting articles about different types of tooth wear:

https://marylandholisticdentist.com/...es-teeth-wear/

FWIW, I've been a long haul bruxer and did a lot of damage to multiple teeth before the problem came to light. Luckily my teeth are, in the words of our family dentist, "tough as pig iron". It could have been a lot worse. A forward thinking dentist prescribed a nightguard for me decades ago and I've worn one religiously ever since. Such a simple thing to get used to. Too bad. If there was in fact evidence that bruxism was a major contributing factor in your tooth wear, a nightguard would have been such a simple preventative low cost alternative to what you're facing now. Maybe that horse has already left the barn. As for refusing, people can make their own decisions and live with the consequences. Including the regrets.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-27-2022 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-29-2022, 10:00 AM

629 posts, read 932,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I have teeth that have been worn down over the years. I do not know if it was from grinding or something else.

My front teeth have a few teeth that are close to the nerve.

I have had 4 dentists in 2 years tell me that to fix this -- and they say I will have to fix it - I will need to have 40K worth of work.

I simply can't understand why.

As far as I get it, it is because if they adjust one tooth it will throw of my bite.

This is a reason that I have to have all the work done quickly and cannot have it done over time to allow for dental insurance.

Never ever any alternative is offered.

I am 50 years old and I refuse to spend 40 K on my teeth. I don't see why they can't just put a crown on.

But every doctor says this... and when I voice my objections they just say it is impossible as a crown would throw off my bite.

Anyone know?

I mean why can't I just pull the teeth and put in a bridge or a implant.

How do I find a dentist that will give me sane options.
Sounds like you know why. You just don't like the answer.

Keep looking around and you'll eventually find a dentist who will tell you what you want to hear. People like that exist in every profession.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:41 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Have them all pulled and get dentures. It'll cost less than half that $40k.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 AM

43,058 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I refuse to wear the night guard.

And I refuse to drop 40 K on dental treatment.

Literally since I was 34 they have been telling me that "any day now" i am going to have to have this 40K of work.

I have dental insurance and it would cover most everything if we could do the work slowly and over a longer period of time.
So you put off any work for 16 years now, refuse to do the night guard process and now are complaining because the restorative work will cost $40K ?

One solution....get all your teeth pulled and get dentures...much cheaper.

Or do nothing and end up with dentures in the long run anyway.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:51 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,506,352 times
What is the "work" they want to do?

Old 02-02-2022, 10:54 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Sounds like you would be a good candidate for dentures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health