Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 11:58 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
We've decided not to get the singletooth replacement.
And yes, most dental plans have a waiting period of 3-6 months but more expensive plans don't have a waiting period.

She does not have Medicare Advantage.
If she wants it, if for nothing other than cosmetic purposes, why not start a 'go fund me' and try to get donations to pay for it? You can't do that here, but if you did on facebook I would definitely donate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 09:32 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No waiting periods for bridge/dentures/crowns with dental insurance? That's news to me. AFAIK the only kind of dental insurance that doesn't have a waiting period is medicaid or employer-provided. But if you know of one that would help the OP please post it I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be interested.
As I posted in post #2, Aetna Dental Access is not insurance, it’s a discount at participating dentists. There is no waiting period. You would need to go plug in your state, and particular info to see if it would work for you. A family plan is about $170 a year. There is a list of typical charges for procedures.

The best comparison I can think of is, like Goodrx or one of those other prescription plans that operate outside of insurance. Why does a prescription cost $300. through insurance cost $15.? I have no clue, but I’ll use it.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As I posted in post #2, Aetna Dental Access is not insurance, it’s a discount at participating dentists. There is no waiting period. You would need to go plug in your state, and particular info to see if it would work for you. A family plan is about $170 a year. There is a list of typical charges for procedures.

The best comparison I can think of is, like Goodrx or one of those other prescription plans that operate outside of insurance. Why does a prescription cost $300. through insurance cost $15.? I have no clue, but I’ll use it.
That's correct, the plans with no waiting period are discount plans, the real problem is that most of the practices that offer them are large corporations with large numbers of dental offices, they churn new dentists, they hire them for peanuts but usually include a deal to pay off part of their student debt if they stick around for a few years - and all of those offices have a business manager, just like the finance guy in the car dealership. You want the discount price on a crown? they will upsell you. Need your teeth cleaned? They will tell you that you need laser therapy and extensive gum treatments.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:14 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's correct, the plans with no waiting period are discount plans, the real problem is that most of the practices that offer them are large corporations with large numbers of dental offices, they churn new dentists, they hire them for peanuts but usually include a deal to pay off part of their student debt if they stick around for a few years - and all of those offices have a business manager, just like the finance guy in the car dealership. You want the discount price on a crown? they will upsell you. Need your teeth cleaned? They will tell you that you need laser therapy and extensive gum treatments.
Not sure why you keep harping on this.

My dentist is a regular group, with about 3 dentists. I had my choice of several local dental groups, and nobody has ever pressured me to do anything, other than asking if I want fluoride or not.

I just looked up an example of what might be similar to what OP needs. “Tooth Replacement Part of Traditional Bridge”: $642. (Usual, $1100.)

Old 04-26-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not sure why you keep harping on this.

My dentist is a regular group, with about 3 dentists. I had my choice of several local dental groups, and nobody has ever pressured me to do anything, other than asking if I want fluoride or not.

I just looked up an example of what might be similar to what OP needs. “Tooth Replacement Part of Traditional Bridge”: $642. (Usual, $1100.)
That's not what he needs. That refers to the pontic in a bridge being replaced. What he is looking for is called a "flipper". I'm glad you found a good dentist who will accept a discount plan, at least in this area that's not usually the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health