Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 07:33 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Wisdom teeth of all types are more prone to decay so they have to be checked by dentists regularly if you didnt remove them.
They are only more prone to decay because of where they are - it's harder to keep them clean than other teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 10:42 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, the idea that they aren't as good as other teeth is a 50-year-old concept that most dentists don't agree with. I had a molar pulled when I was 21 or so (my husband was in the military and they only paid for extractions for dependents) They pulled the molar and when he got out and had employer paid dental insurance I had a bridge put in, the dentist said if I had the adjacent wisdom tooth pulled they wouldn't have had an anchor for a bridge.
Yup. If there's nothing wrong with a wisdom tooth, then there's no need to remove it. If the tooth is impacted, or it's blocking the molar and is in the wrong place and braces can't correct it, or is jutting out against your cheek or back against your upper palate making it too difficult to keep clean, or it's cracked or otherwise damaged - well sure. Yank it out. The wisdom tooth that I did have, was fine. Healthy, placed well, supportive and supported, but basically had no function since its match on the lower jaw never grew in. We left it where it was until it got a cavity. I was around 40 years old at that point and it'd been there since I was a teenager.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:50 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,159 times
I had the 2 on the left done, and the other 2 on the right at a later date. Made it easier to chew food on the other side.

I had mine removed because they caused crowding and shifted my teeth, and I was showing signs that cavities might develop on them. Figure just pull them rather than worry about fillings or worse down the road. Wish I had them pulled sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health