Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 11:16 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,148,432 times

Advertisements

My 17 year-old son is scheduled to have all 4 of his wisdom teeth removed in about a week. X-rays show that none are impacted -- whew! We've been told this should be a "pretty easy" extraction.

Can anyone can share their experience? We'll have a consultation with the oral surgeon just before the actual procedure, but I thought getting some info now might be helpful. My son's a pretty easy-going guy, but he's nervous about this one.

I had my 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed, but I don't remember much about it. I was knocked out, and it was also about 35 years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 11:25 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,982 times
2 teeth removed is better than 4 in the same week.

Do his best to prevent dry sockets.
Pain should be nearly none if the extraction is easy.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:36 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Get good pain medication from the oral surgeon like tylenol codeine, just in case of pain afterward. Buy black teabags if you don't have them, the tannins in black tea will stop any bleeding, the gauze he will get after the extraction will get bloody fast and you can use the teabags to replace it.

Old 06-11-2023, 01:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
My 17 year-old son is scheduled to have all 4 of his wisdom teeth removed in about a week. X-rays show that none are impacted -- whew! We've been told this should be a "pretty easy" extraction.

Can anyone can share their experience? We'll have a consultation with the oral surgeon just before the actual procedure, but I thought getting some info now might be helpful. My son's a pretty easy-going guy, but he's nervous about this one.

I had my 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed, but I don't remember much about it. I was knocked out, and it was also about 35 years ago!
Unless you can read x-rays or you really trust this dentist you might want to get a second opinion.

Old 06-11-2023, 02:24 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,148,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Unless you can read x-rays or you really trust this dentist you might want to get a second opinion.
Do you mean I should be concerned that the x-rays show his WT are *not* impacted but they really are?

Old 06-11-2023, 02:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Do you mean I should be concerned that the x-rays show his WT are *not* impacted but they really are?
No, not at all if you can see they are impacted on the x-ray then they are impacted, but when my son was that age his orthodontist ordered two wisdom teeth to be extracted and after they were extracted his regular dentist said they were not impacted at all and showed me his x-ray, I'm not a dentist but they didn't appear to be impacted. We didn't do anything about it but when my youngest son went through the same thing I asked for the X-rays and showed them to his regular dentist before they were pulled and they were impacted.

Old 06-18-2023, 07:18 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, not at all if you can see they are impacted on the x-ray then they are impacted, but when my son was that age his orthodontist ordered two wisdom teeth to be extracted and after they were extracted his regular dentist said they were not impacted at all and showed me his x-ray, I'm not a dentist but they didn't appear to be impacted. We didn't do anything about it but when my youngest son went through the same thing I asked for the X-rays and showed them to his regular dentist before they were pulled and they were impacted.

I agree with a second opinion. Make sure they give you the xrays or you may have to pay for the second set.

I had an orthodontist who never told me my daughters teeth were impacted when she was always screaming of her mouth hurting so bad that she ended up taking her own braces off. She had fallen down our steps a year or so before, it was clearly seen on the hospital xray but no one told us.

An orthodontist usually pulls a few teeth from what I was told that will make it easier for the teeth to move into alignment.

Please do not pull all 4 at once. It was done to me. Talk about miserable. I will never have teeth from both sides pulled at the same time. Do two on one side then two on the other.

I had all my teeth extracted between October to December, I allowed her to extract one side then the other, then the front which has given me the most issues. It's now almost July, wearing the dentures kills my jaw and gums.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:06 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
The only thing I remember about my wisdom tooth extraction is that the next day when I went to work, a coworker thought that I looked different before learning what made my face swollen so asymmetrically.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:00 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
My kids had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed at the beginning of their Spring Breaks. Just follow the instructions that the oral surgeon gives to you. You have to make sure that they change gauze and take medicine. Soft foods, no straws, that sort of thing. At some point they start rinsing with salt water.

A reputable dentist will refer you to a reputable oral surgeon. So I wouldn't worry too much about trying to read x-rays or anything like that. If you are curious, your dentist should be able to show and explain the x-rays to you. It's been awhile since my kids had their wisdom teeth out but I seem to recall the dentist showing me the x-rays to explain why he was making the referral to the oral surgeon.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:54 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
A few miserable days, no straws. Life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health