Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2023, 05:40 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times

Advertisements

My previous dentist left the current practice and I went in yesterday to meet the new dentist and hygienist.

I requested a cleaning the old fashion way when I first came to the practice (the new water scraper used by hygienists was extremely painful for me...think Marathon Man scene with Dustin Hoffman). Well, this hygienist seems irritated that she's going to have to clean my teeth that way, cleans about 1/3 of my mouth and then goes right to flossing and polishing. Then they go on to suggest a mouthgard (they weren't even aware I still wear retainers) and started talking about some sort of laser treatment.

One and done for me (you need to earn my trust before you start into all the suggestive selling so I know you have my best interest at heart).

I looked up where my former dentist went and will be making an appointment with him today. It's too bad these hygienists think they're going to bully you into doing something that's extremely uncomfortable for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2023, 06:01 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,746,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
My previous dentist left the current practice and I went in yesterday to meet the new dentist and hygienist.

I requested a cleaning the old fashion way when I first came to the practice (the new water scraper used by hygienists was extremely painful for me...think Marathon Man scene with Dustin Hoffman). Well, this hygienist seems irritated that she's going to have to clean my teeth that way, cleans about 1/3 of my mouth and then goes right to flossing and polishing. Then they go on to suggest a mouthgard (they weren't even aware I still wear retainers) and started talking about some sort of laser treatment.

One and done for me (you need to earn my trust before you start into all the suggestive selling so I know you have my best interest at heart).

I looked up where my former dentist went and will be making an appointment with him today. It's too bad these hygienists think they're going to bully you into doing something that's extremely uncomfortable for you.
I take pretty good care of my teeth now so my hygienist says I don't need the water scraper so she cleans my teeth the old way, but I still ask for numbing gel for my sensitive gums. If hygienists insist on the water scraper (I've had it done in the past, but I hate it) you can always get your mouth numbed up with injections like I did.

Anyway, it's so hard to find a good dentist now or one who doesn't suggest many costly treatments, so since you like your other dentist, you should keep going to him even if you have to travel farther.

Old 10-27-2023, 06:08 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I take pretty good care of my teeth now so my hygienist says I don't need the water scraper so she cleans my teeth the old way, but I still ask for numbing gel for my sensitive gums. If hygienists insist on the water scraper (I've had it done in the past, but I hate it) you can always get your mouth numbed up with injections like I did.

Anyway, it's so hard to find a good dentist now or one who doesn't suggest many costly treatments, so since you like your other dentist, you should keep going to him even if you have to travel farther.
Agree. My other dentist told me things like laser treatment are typically only suggested when you're getting subpar scores on the gum test. Not only did they not do an updated one but it was clear they barely looked at my chart. That's not going to instill a lot of trust from me.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:14 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,861,108 times
Both dentists and all the hygenist that I go to all do a great job. My only issue was one of them is very chatty and often it's about politics. I dont want chatty while you are in my mouth, that's a pretty one sided conversation and I certainly don't want to discuss politics. In any case, I switched to another hygenist.

Side note, a lot of celebrities go to my dentists, I'm always curious to see who I run into.

Old 11-02-2023, 09:38 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Both dentists and all the hygenist that I go to all do a great job. My only issue was one of them is very chatty and often it's about politics. I dont want chatty while you are in my mouth, that's a pretty one sided conversation and I certainly don't want to discuss politics. In any case, I switched to another hygenist.

Side note, a lot of celebrities go to my dentists, I'm always curious to see who I run into.

I'll bet they are pretty excited to see Marsha Brady goes there

Old 11-06-2023, 08:19 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,861,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I'll bet they are pretty excited to see Marsha Brady goes there
that's hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health