Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:41 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times

Advertisements

We use epi to resuscitate people when they are technically "dead". It is real powerful stuff and can easily be responsible for the symptoms you had.

Dentists go through medical school just the same as other docs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 10:48 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
We use epi to resuscitate people when they are technically "dead". It is real powerful stuff and can easily be responsible for the symptoms you had.

Dentists go through medical school just the same as other docs.

No, dentists go to dental school, but they are taught the pharmacology of the medications they use.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:10 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,837 times
Because upper injections don't require a block, those are considered infiltrations and they don't last as long. And Elipar is right, the higher the concentration the more likely paraesthia is to occur. The ADA's magazine, "JADA" just came out with a huge article on using 4% Solutions and the risk of paraesthesia and it's pretty alarming. At the clinic I work at I've had arguements with two boards who seem to think that giving Septocaine for a mandibular block is okay. There's a reason why I don't give Septocaine for mandibular blocks, there are too many lawyers out there! Most times I'm giving two shots of Lidocaine for a mandibular block, one for the block and the other for the long buccal. So if your giving two shots anyhow and it's 2% why use 4% Septocaine. Apparently these two dentists feel that because they live in the sticks of pennslyvania that they are less likely to get sued, WRONG! I use Septocaine all the time, but not for mandibular blocks and it's good stuff too, very potent. Heck you might as well all the way and use Mercaine, you'll have that patient numb for close to 6 hours.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,454 times
drsmiley - what kinds of things do you use the Septocaine for?

I've had the racing heart reaction to the locals before, which bothers me because I have trouble not having a panic attack in the dentist's chair as it is. But I almost never get completely numb on top. The torture of multiple front fillings as a child has given me a terrible dental phobia. I'm scheduled for 19 extractions on Friday, including 3 wisdom teeth (one impacted) and extensive bone grafting. My dentist gave me .5mg Valium for the night before and .25mg Triazolam to take an hour before + nitrous for the treatment (he's one of those DOCS guys).

Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
Good topic. I was going to ask elsewhere if it was just me, but apparently some of you also seem to have a reaction to novocaine. Like some of you, I always felt a lot of pain during dental procedures (except for having my wisdom teeth removed, but he used a gas, not a shot). The dentists used to have to give me multiple shots, all the way up to a maximum allowable dosage, and then I'd have to just try to bear it. I've noticed a change over the last year or two that I only need one shot, that it takes effect almost immediately, and then wears off within a few hours. For the first time in my life I don't feel anywhere near as much pain. The downside is, I'm noticing that now I tend to feel nauseous, numb, tired and sort of "doped-up" for the rest of the day, and usually just go home and go to bed early. So I'm now trying to schedule my appointments for later in the day so I don't have to try to go back to work or do anything else important.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 17,495 times
I had dental work almost a week ago, and I was given four shots of novocaine, at least two of them in my jaw, and my jaw is still hurting. Is this normal?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crguy30 View Post
I had dental work almost a week ago, and I was given four shots of novocaine, at least two of them in my jaw, and my jaw is still hurting. Is this normal?
Have you contacted your dentist? What did you have done? The pain may be due to a complication of the procedure, not the anesthetic.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 17,289 times
Default being poisoned by dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I have an allergy to the Epinephrine preservatives sodium bisulfite and metabisulfite. Those preservatives are the cause of that temporary but scary reaction: sweating, heart palpitations, lips turning blue, etc... everything described in this thread.
Thank you for pointing out that you have had these symptoms and traced them to sodium bisulfate and metabisulfite.
I looked up both of those and am shocked that these are approved substances for administration into human beings.
Pretty much scarily toxic, and the danger of fatal reactions...
Great.
Would my dentist mind telling me this before injecting me like a chemical lab rat?

Scary.

I have had palpitations, dizziness, shortness of breath, weakenss, near fainting, and overall disoriented dis-ease since I got the shot at my dentist 3 days ago. Very scary!
I have considered calling 911 many times.
Finally googled "bad novacaine reaction" and found this thread, among many other helpful medical websites that validate this information.

Bottom line: ask for a non EPI numbing agent. Tell the dentist and staff about the effects it has had on you in the past.

Best of luck and good health to you all.

Last edited by leilakin; 12-19-2010 at 03:07 AM..

Old 02-19-2011, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 16,997 times
I had a procedure on Thursday and had a temporary filling, while awaiting a root canal. When I got the shot, it hurt more than normal and I felt a sudden shock. I was told this was good because I became numb almost instantly. However - when I got home and the numbness went away, I began having alot of pain (not in the tooth). From my jaw bone to my eye socket and I have a bad headache. I barely slept for two nights, even on the pain meds he gave me.

On Friday evening, my bottom front started feeling strange, I thought they were moving...BUT they were actually getting numb again.

Today is Saturday and I am completely numb. I still have the pain and headache as the numbness seems to be cycling. If the numbness lessens the pain returns and vice versa...
Anyone have any ideas????

Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 16,955 times
Was just wondering if anyone has experienced what happened to me? I was having a "simple" cavity filled and the dentist gave me 2 shots of novacaine, one of which was a nerve block. A few days later I noticed my jaw was quite sore. Then I had an appointment with my massage therapist and when he was massaging my face I told him my jaw was quite tight so he massaged away and now it's worse than ever. The problem that I'm having is I can't open my mouth wide to brush my teeth or eat or else it really hurts, otherwise I'm not in pain (hey - good weight loss techniques?!). So I went back to the dentist and he said unfortunately this happens to people once in a while and it's just going to take time. Urrrrrrr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health