Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times

Advertisements

I might need another root canal, I had one 8 years ago and it was so horrible I had hoped I would never need another one. I am so scared! Last time I couldnt swallow because my throat was so numb, I panicked terribly. I felt like I was drowning and I couldnt talk to tell anyone. not to mention the pain from the multiple injections.

I developed high blood pressure after my last baby for some reason, it got pretty high and it tends to get high when I panic, but on normal days with meds it's 98/70 - 110/70. I am afraid of nitrious oxcide because it might cause some issues with my pressure and valium. I don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I have had 3 or 4 root canals and none was worse than any other cavity being filled. Maybe you need referrals for dentists in your area? This should not hurt like that!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 PM

well my brother is my dentist, he doesn't do root canals. Last time he sentme to his best friend and he was horrible. Granted my tooth was really infected at that time and he did it on an emergency because I was in so much pain. That guy retired anyway.

This tooth is way in the back, next to the other tooth that had a root canal. I heard it hurts worse the further back the tooth is.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Quote:
This tooth is way in the back, next to the other tooth that had a root canal. I heard it hurts worse the further back the tooth is.
I think it hurts worse the more infected it is. I had a root canal done a few years back on a rear molar and it honestly didn't hurt at all with just some local novacaine.

It sounds to me like you have some major anxiety regarding the dentist. I sympathize, I used to really avoid dental work because of bad experiences with uncaring dentists.

When we first starting going to our current dentist, my husband had to get multiple root canals and crowns to correct his years of dentist avoidance. When they were planning the procedure he explained that he is prone to panic attacks and that just thinking about this procedure was making him sick to his stomach on the verge of panic. The dentist prescribed 2 Xanax for him - one for the night before so he could sleep, and one for the morning of so he could relax (obviously he needed a ride to the dentist that morning ) and that did wonders for him. I am so glad he had the courage to go for it, now he has a great confident smile and doesn't need Xanax for his dental procedures anymore. I think it is all about trust, personally. Once he trusted that the dentist cared about his state of mind and wanted to spare him as much discomfort as possible, he's been OK and hasn't missed an appointment.

So I think you should schedule a consultation with your dentist ASAP. Explain your fears. Your dentist should be able to accomodate you. If not, then perhaps you should look for a new dentist who is understanding and compassionate, one you aren't related to so there are no familial complications. Hurry up and get that root canal done. The longer you avoid it, the greater the potential for complications and pain.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,071 times
I think you can get anesthetic with lower amounts of epinephrine if it makes your heart race, yea sounds like maybe you could ask about some sort of 'chill pill' too before the appointment. The doctor might be cool about giving you one, nothing's worse than having to watch a patient pace around before work and won't even sit down in the chair because they're so nervous! Maybe do some breathing exercises before your appointment and do something relaxing. Bring a nice book to read while your numbing or something soothing to work on. Hope it goes well!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Uuum, Cupcake, why are you getting oxcide?????

A root canal should NOT be like that at all. Sounds like you had a bad experience.

I think you should explain your fear to your MD and maybe they can give you ONE or TWO doses of xanax before the procedure. Then ONLY get numbed instead of being put out/under!

While I'm not a fan at all of "drugs," I have found that xanax is the ONLY thing that helps me fly. I have HAD to fly a few times and if when I didn't have it I freaked the whole plane out with my crying

Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
I've had 2 root canals, both lower back molars. One was very uncomfortable, but the other very painful. The reason was the nerve was hot. I have difficulty with numbing due to being nervous. The dentist can prescribe a valium before the procedure and I recommend it. I've never heard of being put asleep for a root canal.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,804 times
I would recommend going to an endodontist. They specialize in root canals. I have had bad root canals done by dentists only to have to get them redone by an endodontist. Its kind of a hit or miss with a general dentist. Im not saying all dentist are bad at rc's but its best to do your research.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 PM

I panic because last time my throat got numb and I couldn't swallow, then he started working on me and I was almost drowning! It was horrible. I remember all the injections I had to have during the whole procedure. I feel like I want to throw up right now I am so scared.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I think it hurts worse the more infected it is. I had a root canal done a few years back on a rear molar and it honestly didn't hurt at all with just some local novacaine.

It sounds to me like you have some major anxiety regarding the dentist. I sympathize, I used to really avoid dental work because of bad experiences with uncaring dentists.

When we first starting going to our current dentist, my husband had to get multiple root canals and crowns to correct his years of dentist avoidance. When they were planning the procedure he explained that he is prone to panic attacks and that just thinking about this procedure was making him sick to his stomach on the verge of panic. The dentist prescribed 2 Xanax for him - one for the night before so he could sleep, and one for the morning of so he could relax (obviously he needed a ride to the dentist that morning ) and that did wonders for him. I am so glad he had the courage to go for it, now he has a great confident smile and doesn't need Xanax for his dental procedures anymore. I think it is all about trust, personally. Once he trusted that the dentist cared about his state of mind and wanted to spare him as much discomfort as possible, he's been OK and hasn't missed an appointment.

So I think you should schedule a consultation with your dentist ASAP. Explain your fears. Your dentist should be able to accomodate you. If not, then perhaps you should look for a new dentist who is understanding and compassionate, one you aren't related to so there are no familial complications. Hurry up and get that root canal done. The longer you avoid it, the greater the potential for complications and pain.
I left a message with my brother, He said if my tooth was still sensitive I would need a root canal. he hasn't called back, probably looking for someone to to do my tooth because I think I am going to freak! I like the xanax suggestion. I don't want to be knocked out or anything. Just relaxed because I hate the humb paralzied throat and drowning senation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health