Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,354,586 times

Advertisements

I'm not in deep love with Austin either, but I have to agree. Denver is probably not for you. Not sure why you think you wouldn't like California....but it sounds like Phoenix is for you, and maybe Dallas as suggested above.

And yeah, I think Texas is totally new (except for a few areas). The roads are bad, that is a result of no income tax I believe, the culture here and not age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,812,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckIsaLady View Post
Okay, so I'm originally from Scottsdale, AZ--which I loved, but I felt it was time to move on. So, I started reading on the internet how much everyone LOVES Austin and How Austin is just SOOOOO great.

They were wrong.

I've seen all of Austin and I think it's truly ugly and ghetto. It's probably the nastiest town I've ever been in. The humidity and bugs are killing me!!! I absolutely hate it with a passion. I honestly don't see the appeal??? Maybe I just have really high standards, IDK lol.

Now I'm looking at Denver. It's GOT to be better than Austin, hell, it can't possibly be any worse! LOL!

So, where in Denver should I look at that'd kind of be comparable to Scottsdale/Chandler? I'm a 27 year old single female. I love to party, I'm a spa girl, all about the glitz and glamour. I guess I'm a true west coast gal, but I don't think I'd like Cali.

I need some help deciding, I wanna skip town asap! I'd like to be in area with NEW construction, I hate anything "old" or "historic". I only like stuff that's new, upgraded, and renovated. I know, I probably sound like a snob, but I'm really not. I just know what I like.
Im surprised that you didnt like Austin... I hear Austin is the up and coming place to relocate to........Curious to know what didnt you like about it.....How was the job market.....

Old 07-19-2010, 02:34 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,133,757 times
You loved Scottsdale, but you moved for no other reason than, "it was time to move on." Seriously, this is like dumping your wonderful boyfriend because you didn't want to get married yet, but now you want all your subsequent boyfriends to be just like the one you dumped.

Move back to Scottsdale. Move to California. Don't move to Denver.

Denver is not about spas, glitz, and glamor. Denver is much more down-to-earth and outdoor oriented. Denver's "old" is not that old, it's just that you grew up in a city that was almost entirely built after 1960.

It's a good thing Prince William didn't come over here and fall madly in love with you. All of his homes are "old" and "historic."

Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,333,046 times
Quote:
Okay, so I'm originally from Scottsdale, AZ--which I loved, but I felt it was time to move on. So, I started reading on the internet how much everyone LOVES Austin and How Austin is just SOOOOO great.

They were wrong.

I've seen all of Austin and I think it's truly ugly and ghetto. It's probably the nastiest town I've ever been in. The humidity and bugs are killing me!!! I absolutely hate it with a passion. I honestly don't see the appeal??? Maybe I just have really high standards, IDK lol.

Now I'm looking at Denver. It's GOT to be better than Austin, hell, it can't possibly be any worse! LOL!

So, where in Denver should I look at that'd kind of be comparable to Scottsdale/Chandler? I'm a 27 year old single female. I love to party, I'm a spa girl, all about the glitz and glamour. I guess I'm a true west coast gal, but I don't think I'd like Cali.

I need some help deciding, I wanna skip town asap! I'd like to be in area with NEW construction, I hate anything "old" or "historic". I only like stuff that's new, upgraded, and renovated. I know, I probably sound like a snob, but I'm really not. I just know what I like.
Learn from your last mistake and don't just pick up and move somewhere because of stuff you've heard on the Internet. The closest thing there is in Denver to a Scottsdale/ upscale parts of the Phoenix metro area vibe would be Cherry Creek North, Greenwood Village, and Lone Tree.

My photo tours:
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ood-photo.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...l#post10317186

If you like Phoenix so much, then why don't you just move back there? I lived there for 4 years (went to ASU) and I can assure you the vibe of Denver is not comparable at all. I like Phoenix in some ways and Denver in some other ways. Compared to Phoenix, Denver is indeed "old" and "historic." The newer parts of the metro area are extremely drab looking architecturally and landscaping-wise, not pleasing to the eye like Phoenix is, and lacks "glitz and glamor." Even those areas above which I just listed are still not the same.

If you want to live in a ski town, then live in an actual ski town, such as in Summit County or the Vail Valley. Denver has a lot of people into skiing, but it does not have a ski town vibe.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:17 PM

42 posts, read 58,521 times
I don't know....I'm NOT looking for another one of these "outdoorsy" cities. Me and Mother Nature don't get along. I wouldn't go hiking, camping, hunting, or fishing if my life depended on it; I'm not even fond of being outside come to think of it. I guess I really don't understand this whole outdoors "craze"....

I like the glitz and glamour, but I don't think I'm a Cali girl. I actually think that might be going overboard. I just like to LOOK at stuff that's like that, I don't ACT the part though. Plus Cali seems to be way overpriced and over rated.

So if Denver isn't for me, where do you suggest? I really don't want to go back to Scottsdale, (which is NOT Phoenix mind you). I LIKE moving around, I never stay anywhere more than a couple of years. If I've been there and done that- it's time to move on. I think it's just part of my personality, maybe I was a gypsy in a past life LOL!

No, I'd never even consider moving to the East Coast, it's just out of the question. I much prefer the west coast or as close to it as possible.

I'm just looking for a place in this country that has a lot of people my age, has a lot of bars and clubs, malls, and spa's that isn't full of self absorbed, narcisstic people. And no, I don't think the two go hand in hand. I enjoy those things but I'm not a snob- okay maybe I am a little, but I have never been the type to treat people badly, or look down on anyone. I just love doing stuff like going to movies, getting my hair and nails done, going out to eat, shopping, clubbing, etc.

I love new cities. I love anything renovated and upgraded. The newer the better! I absolutely LOVE cobblestone sidewalks, and stuff like that. I really did like The San Marco's shopping center, but I want out of Texas- I can't stand the humidity.

I don't see the appeal of anything "historic"?? I just find it...old. IDK, that's just my opinion. And no, that's not a putdown to anyone who does like it, I totally respect everyone's opinion of what they do and don't like.

I know you're thinking I'm hard to please, and I am- I KNOW!!! But this is what makes me happy and that's what life's about, right?!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,333,046 times
Quote:
I like the glitz and glamour, but I don't think I'm a Cali girl. I actually think that might be going overboard. I just like to LOOK at stuff that's like that, I don't ACT the part though. Plus Cali seems to be way overpriced and over rated.

So if Denver isn't for me, where do you suggest?
Las Vegas.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM

42 posts, read 58,521 times
Yes, I'm definitely considering Las Vegas....

Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,354,586 times
you know cobblestone is about as old as it gets!

Denver is totally outdoorsy....I think you would hate it there too. Sure it's a city, but I don't think the type you are looking for.

Las Vegas, definitley consider California, Dallas, maybe some Florida cities. and you really should consider returning to Phoenix. What you want is just not very common in western cities. Maybe even Kansas City?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:29 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,222,478 times
Really, I have to agree. Denver is about parks and biking and hiking and fishing and rock climbing and playing sports and open air concerts and parades and ...well, you get the picture. Las Vegas is a great call, and Kansas City is an up and comer. I forgot about Dallas but figure you want out of Texas anyway. I don't think you're going to enjoy Denver much.

Failing that, you could try somewhere in New Zealand or Japan. Possibly the United Arab Emirates...I hear it's extremely dry there, and they cater to just about anything (unofficially), though that may come with a few caveats as well ^_^

Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 AM

98 posts, read 204,509 times
I feel like this entire thread is a prank or something. So many contradictions. You are west coast, but not outdoorsy, but you don't think you would like california? The only other west coast states are very outdoorsy, so that leaves....California. I think San Francisco or San Diego might be your best bet...Or maybe Orange County.

Other places...Dallas, Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, but then you have the humidity.

Las Vegas actually sounds like your best bet. Everything is new there, it's not humid, and it's all glitz and glamor.

I still feel like this thread isn't real though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver