Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 AM

42 posts, read 58,443 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm originally from Scottsdale, AZ--which I loved, but I felt it was time to move on. So, I started reading on the internet how much everyone LOVES Austin and How Austin is just SOOOOO great.

They were wrong.

I've seen all of Austin and I think it's truly ugly and ghetto. It's probably the nastiest town I've ever been in. The humidity and bugs are killing me!!! I absolutely hate it with a passion. I honestly don't see the appeal??? Maybe I just have really high standards, IDK lol.

Now I'm looking at Denver. It's GOT to be better than Austin, hell, it can't possibly be any worse! LOL!

So, where in Denver should I look at that'd kind of be comparable to Scottsdale/Chandler? I'm a 27 year old single female. I love to party, I'm a spa girl, all about the glitz and glamour. I guess I'm a true west coast gal, but I don't think I'd like Cali.

I need some help deciding, I wanna skip town asap! I'd like to be in area with NEW construction, I hate anything "old" or "historic". I only like stuff that's new, upgraded, and renovated. I know, I probably sound like a snob, but I'm really not. I just know what I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:09 AM

9 posts, read 18,840 times
Well me and my Fiance just moved to Denver from Phoenix about 4 weeks ago and we love it! We lived in Arrowhead area in Peoria and we moved to Highlands Ranch and couldnt be happier! Were about the same age as you (I'm 30 and she is 25) and Im telling you if you like to party Denver is for you! This Highlands Ranch area reminds me a little of Scottsdale. Theres a mall, plenty of restaurants and shops, but not clubs like Scottsdale. But the cool thing about this area is its super nice and safe and all we gotta do is hit the light rail and it takes you right downtown where all the Scottsdale type bars are at. Denver is not like Phoenix, because here downtown is the spot to party where as in Phx we never went downtown. You might wanna just live downtown here, but highlands ranch is definitely a little like the burbs in Phoenix-Scottsdale.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 AM

By the way, I just seen your last sentence. That's exactly how we felt. We wanted newer stuff and not the old historic neighborhoods. I guess its so it wasn't too much of a difference from Phoenix. If you've never been here you'll notice that pretty much all of Denver is pretty old. There's nice areas, but its just real old and historic. I'm telling you, Highlands Ranch is alot like Scottsdale or Arrowhead area. Newer homes, nice condos, community centers, and there are some brewery's and bars. There's a newer mall with all the restaurant chains and Fox and Hound and similar bars. Theres also a lake close by that I see people out there partying. Its just a really nice area.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 AM

42 posts, read 58,443 times
Hmm I'll keep that in mind....The biggest thing that I hate about Austin is how OLD it is. All the streets and roads look like back alley's- they're all stained and cracked. It disgusts me like you wouldn't believe lol. How much is an apt there? I like a place that has over 1,000 sq ft (interior, excluding the patio), with super high ceilings and plush carpeting. Do apt complex's there have 3 stories instead of 2? Austin complex's all do the 3 floor thing and it drives me CRAZY!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 AM

Im not really sure, but were renting a 3 bdrm house for $1300 a month. And its in a tri level, newer home in a really nice neighborhood. Ive lived in Phoenix area my whole life and we felt this area was the closest thing to Scottsdale out here. I think you cant go wrong in South Denver. Theres alot of Apartments over by the Park Meadows mall probably for under $1000. And the area is very similar to Chandler-Scottsdale. Alot of people I talked to told me Cherry Creek is Denvers Scottsdale, but in all honesty we didnt even like it. I mean there was really nice houses and expensive stores and all that, but its just old and historic stuff. My girl thought the houses looked haunted. So you being from Scottsdale would probably feel the same way. Its just different. Good luck though! Id check out anything around Park Meadows Mall, I think thats an area you would really like.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
A lot of metro Denver's newer apartment complexes have three stories.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,298 times
Must...resist...urge...to enter...thread...

Seriously. If you want everything "new", I would move back to Phoenix, or maybe to San Diego or Kansas City (well, suburban KC, anyway.) I'm not saying Denver doesn't have it's fresh, new "Chandler" like places...Highlands Ranch, Parker, Lone Tree, Westminster, etc (though I'm not sure any of those is quite the vibe you're looking for)...but most of the party action really is downtown, and though very clean, a lot of downtown is OLD. Cherry Creek is the closest thing to downtown Scottsdale, but again, you're still kind of surrounded by an older area outside of Cherry Creek and Cherry Creek North.

I lived in Phoenix for well over a decade and I think I know what you're looking for...I'll add the disclaimer that I happen to LIKE the fact that Denver has some history and is proud of it (something seriously lacking about the Phoenix metro area), and also that I'm one of those irritating cats who really dislikes the Highlands Ranch COs, Gilbert AZs and Irvine CAs of the world.

That said, though you may like a place like Highlands Ranch, though I'd caution you that the few people I know who live there are all quite family oriented rather than party oriented. I look downtown when I'm looking for "urban" activity.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM

299 posts, read 712,287 times
Austin is one of those cities that is obsessed with how great it is! I actually like Austin, but I'm always amazed at how intolerant people are of even the most mild criticism of Austin.

There are plenty of 'new' structures in Denver, and lots of old ones. It's an old city, but it's a big city and a lot is available.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,815,040 times
Cherry Creek North is Denver's Scottsdale with some of the same restaurants you knew there..North,Houstons, ect. great shopping ect. The area itself isn't a draw for the younger party scene though. I moved there at 27 myself after living in Boulder..it was very nice..but crickets in comparison. As others have said the areas around downtown are probably going to be more to your liking. Cherry Creek will provide more of what you are looking for than any metro suburb.
I personally think Austin is a great city, but to each their own. FYI..Denver isn't a very glamourous, glitzy place , it's much more outdoors minded and fairly laid back. However new construction, and finding fun things to do shouldn't be a problem. I would look around RiverFront Park..it's nothing but new construction, and seems to attract the younger set looking for urban nightlife.

Last edited by Scott5280; 07-19-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 PM

98 posts, read 204,344 times
Man, I love Austin, so this is crazy. Austin is old? Definitely stay away from The east coast if you are complaining about Austin being old. Last time I was there, the entire downtown area was full up new highrise apartments....check out West 6th recently...it's turning totally yuppy. But maybe that's out of your price range. Maybe you should check out Uptown Dallas, sounds right up your alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver