Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM

229 posts, read 750,483 times

Advertisements

Agree with Red Rocks, nearby ski resorts and DIA. I also remain very impressed with the Nature and Science Museum - I've traveled a lot and have seen few similar museums that are so well done (especially with the fossils).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
How many cities in the US have world class anything? It's a pretty small group, but then again its all relative. I spent Sunday in downtown and couldn't help but notice how many out of state license plates from neighboring states were around. Reminds you that maybe there is a lack of world class amenities, but to someone from Wyoming or Montana or New Mexico this is still a desirable place to visit with city amenities far superior to what they have.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
I think it's difficult for a land-locked city in the middle of such a big country to be truly "world class". Especially for a city Denver's size. 3.1 million pales quickly when compared to cities like NYC, London, Paris, and Tokyo. Those are some of the top cities in the world and will naturally be in a different league as Denver.
But Denver is still a fantastic city in its own right. I think one poster said it best (and I paraphrase) that nothing in Denver is the best in the world, but the city has a nice well-rounded balance of things are all good enough that it makes up for it. Plus there are some of the world's top out door activities just a few miles out of town. Not too shabby at all.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM

91 posts, read 168,804 times
I would add to the list above.

Denver does have a world class system of bike trails. Denver also has one of the fittest and healthy populations in the country. take those for what ever they are worth.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Not sure if the Botanical Gardens are quite world class, but having revisited them recently, they are pretty fantastic. I still think Phoenix's is my favorite simply for it's dedication to the local environment, but Denver's does remind me in some ways of a miniature Kew Gardens (minus the treetop walkway...now *that* would make a great addition!) and is certainly a great way to spend a lazy weekend.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:02 AM

111 posts, read 313,752 times
Instead of constantly thinking about what is "world class" why don't you focus more on what's unique. The things that you've mentioned that are world class are mostly man-made, like museums, theatres, airports and skyscrapers. What's unique to the Denver area that other cities aren't lucky enough to have? NYC may be by the water, but I guarantee you don't want to swim there. Does Boston have the natural beauty of The Garden of the Gods 45 minutes away, does Dallas have the biggest 360 degree view that lookout mountain can offer?? Every city is great in it's own ways, some of which are man-made world class buildings that tourists flock to. But other cities just have things around them that are a part of nature and are beautiful, Rocky Mountain National Park, now that's "world class"

Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
Well, it may not be world class, but the Starz Film Center offers the finest, most varied international selection of cinema that I have encountered in the cities I've lived in (Boston and Dallas primarily, and other areas).
really? starz is better than the brattle, coolidge corner, kendall, harvard film archive, sommerville theatre and west newton? boston has by far the best independent theatres of any city in the country, especially given its size. starz has a good lineup of movies, but its the only one in the city. the mayan (architecture aside) doesn't veer far from the mainstream indies.

the only thing world class in denver is red rocks amphitheater which is truly the best place to see a concert in the united states. I know people who fly from all over to see shows there. but then again, I didn't move to denver for world class amenities. I am here for the mountains where are of a class of their own.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
The OP is right, that outside of the natural environment in our mountain backyard, Denver doesn't have anything "world class." It's a little unfair, though, to compare Denver to other cities in that regard. Frankly, we just don't play in the same league as a NYC, LA, SF, Boston, DC, or Chicago. We're also a step or two behind a Dallas, Seattle, or Atlanta, too, in both size and national prominence. That's just who we are. Given time, we may (or may not) come to be in those cities' company like that but we're not there yet. As others have said, there are a number of disadvantages that come with that sort of size and stature that currently we don't have to cope with. It may not be desirable to become that size. Our natural resources in Denver (e.g., water) may not support that.

Denver's other "problem", though, one shared with a lot of Western cities, is just that we're not a very old city and our growth has mostly come in the last few decades, with transplants. (Although compared to some of our Western neighbors e.g., Phoenix, we are relatively old and relatively stable in population). We're also pretty transient -- people move in and out all the time. Cities are kind of like trees. Even if they quickly sprout up, it takes time to put down roots and truly become mature. Even then, not all trees or cities are capable of becoming "world class" -- it takes a very special set of circumstances.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
Denver does have a world class system of bike trails.
Ditto that! Probably the biggest reason Denver is atop my list of places to retire to. I have not seen an off-street paved bike trail system any better and any more extensive than Denver's anywhere else in the US. When it comes to bike amenties, Denver is on par with places like Amsterdam.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Denver is certainly not unique in its access to outdoor recreation. Most cities in the West can boast similar access (and in more then one direction). The botanical gardens are great, but are somewhat limited in terms of the plants they can grow because of the cold winter climate, but I'd say they are close to world class for cities in a snow climate. DIA - we'll it's one of the largest airports but I don't think it's design is world class. I guess I would say no, but as others have posted it's got a good mix of "regional class" attributes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver