Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 18,383 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are contemplating moving to the Denver area. We are an active couple, while in our mid 50's. From all the messages I have read, I have not seen a comparison between Broomfield, Westminister, and Lafayette, regarding cost of housing, crime, and social environment. If anyone knows of certain areas within these cities that should be avoided, please let me know. Please use cross streets as references, to frame in the areas.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 PM
qsr

47 posts, read 104,578 times
Westminster is pretty much part of the Denver proper city area, and it also borders Broomfield, so parts of the Westminster and Broomfield are almost indistinguishable. They are basically bedroom communities for both Denver and Boulder. Southern Westminster isn't quite as nice as the area North of 104th. Westminster is in 2 or 3 counties, while Broomfield is its own county and Lafayette is in Boulder County. Lafayette has a small-town feel with a real downtown area (287 & Hwy 7). The old town is still sort of in the middle of gentrification, while the new areas to the West are very modern and upper-middle class. Louisville and Lafayette are basically twin cities--more tied to Boulder than Denver. Erie is another option that is more isolated.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I don't think any of these cities have areas to avoid, particularly. It all depends on what one wants. Westminster is the largest, at over 100,000 people, and is also large geographically. Broomfield is intermediate (~55,000 people), and Lafayette is ~25,000 and is really too small to have "good" and "bad" areas. All three have a lot of housing diversity.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
QSR described it best. I like the areas of Westminster west of wadsworth too. I currently live in Broomfield which personally of the 3 I like the best. Mainly because of location. I lived in Lafayette for about 6 months which also has a great location. Lafayette is smaller than Broomfield or Westminster, so the parts that are run down are more noticeable. But Lafayette will run you about 30-40% more if you're in the market to buy. Of the three I recommend my Broomfield. Lots of trails and open and space, nice rec centers, small town operated water park, safe, not as busy as Westminster and not as expensive as Lafayette. In Westminster I like North of 104th and west of wadsworth. There's other pockets of areas that are nice (hidden lake area). Broomfield there isn't too many areas I wouldn't recommend, you have great access to I36 ove by the flatirons area or you be more on the north eastern side between 120th and 144th and be closer to I25. I live on the North East part where sections overlap with Westminster. I like this part because it feels a little slower and quieter. I can catch an express and be downtown in 30 min. I can be in Boulder in 15-20 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver