Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassRockOak View Post
For the past 30 years I've fallen into a lifestyle with work and hobbies involving sitting and living "in my head." I'd really like to snap out of it and be more physical in my old age, and walking to more places sounds like a good way to start.
Speaking of walking. Use the index to find threads like Car-Free Living (under the topic of Transit) or Walkability. The search tool will find these and more. One of our regulars on here (LiveContent) writes a lot about getting around on foot and by rail and bus. The advanced search allows one to search on screen names as well as key words.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:48 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassRockOak View Post
Hi Livecontent. Thanks for the informative links and especially for sharing your personal experiences and opinions. I want to return to a progressive city environment (I presently live in a cabin in the woods in the North East Sierra foothills) for the social supports that you mentioned. And the politics.

However, my son (in Albuquerque) wants to develop another country place.

The photograph accompanying the Lakewood article seemed to be of farmland and more remote than a suburb. Yet you and the article refer to it as a suburb. Perhaps the photo was of a view from town rather than of the area itself. At any rate, I wonder if you're aware of country, foothill or any kind of somewhat remote areas that are progressive or at least liberal in the areas surrounding Denver. Here in California "country" is usually synonymous with "conservative."
Lakewood is more of a dense suburbs, from a older area, east near Denver, to tract developments to the west that border the open space and undeveloped lands, along the foothills--which the picture shows.

If you looking for a country place, that is a cabin in the woods, then there are many areas just west in the foothills. Liberal, Conservative---well, I just do not know. What does it matter what the label, if you are remote and isolated--then nobody sees or hears your label, then it only exist in your own private domain. You can only be differently perceived, if there are others doing the perceiving and caring about the label. Most people do not care; they just go about their lives and you will be contently ignored, if you choose.

The best suggestion if you are looking for a progressive, clean, safe, city environment, which encourages many political opinions which are mutually supportive and helpful, without malicious extremes, then I would live in Denver. You will have many choices of neighborhoods with expansive parks throughout and have different appeals but all are being changed and redeveloped; for Denver is a city that the population stays and is not fleeing, as many other decaying cities.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-09-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver