Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 33,584 times

Advertisements

I just recently graduated college and I'm moving to Denver in the fall for medical school, in between studying I would like to have a social life. What's the dating scene like in Denver? I'm a African-American woman from the south where interracial dating is still "taboo" which I think is stupid and backwards. Is interracial dating a big thing in Denver or do people really not care one way or another? I love running, hiking, and rock climbing and also music,reading and shopping. What are some good places to meet new people beside my campus and neighborhood? Any advice will be helpful thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default And, here I thought that

it was explicitly against the rules for med students to have a social life.

What neighborhood are you going to live in?

This will make you feel better
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-s-racism.html

And, be forewarned as the State of Colorado requires you to own:
a Subaru
at least one The North Face item

Old 05-15-2013, 04:41 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
It sounds like Denver would be a great place for you. I know several interracial couples. No one bats an eye that I'm aware of. There are tons of clubs and meet up groups for hiking, rock climbing, etc... If you are in to outdoor sports, meeting people should not be a problem. REI and Colorado Mountain Club are some good resources for starting out.

http://www.cmc.org/

Last edited by SkyDog77; 05-15-2013 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 PM

10 posts, read 33,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

a Subaru

I'm going to be living in Lowry what'sit like there?

Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 AM

556 posts, read 1,200,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwgravity22 View Post
I'm going to be living in Lowry what'sit like there?
Lot's of families, not much night life. But considering you'll be spending most of your time in aurora, its not a bad compromise.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 PM

8 posts, read 13,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

a Subaru
This is so true!! I moved to Colorado from Texas. Driving around in Colorado with a Texas plate earned me the middle finger from a few fellow drivers. Soon after, I learned that Texans dont have a good reputation around the mountains, unless you find yourself in Lake City. Never really took it personal as I am not a Texans to begin with.

In any case, the trail heads and roads in CO are a Subaru commercial. I will be guilty of that. Soon, I will be ditching my Japanese made/city car and taking a leap of faith and join the Subaru pack! :-)

Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 AM

61 posts, read 84,874 times
Default Houston to Denver

Sorry, if this is not on topic, but I have to ask. Wassup with getting the finger if you have TX plates on your car?

I'm relocating to work in our downtown Denver office and will be driving to Denver. Will I have problems because my car has TX license plates? I've lived in Houston for 30 years (originally from RI) and still don't consider myself a Texan.

Tks very much
bje333

Old 05-18-2013, 11:23 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bje333 View Post
Sorry, if this is not on topic, but I have to ask. Wassup with getting the finger if you have TX plates on your car?

I'm relocating to work in our downtown Denver office and will be driving to Denver. Will I have problems because my car has TX license plates? I've lived in Houston for 30 years (originally from RI) and still don't consider myself a Texan.

Tks very much
bje333
Mostly that's just tongue and cheek unless you are driving like a complete idiot in which case your license plate may add to people's ire.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM

8 posts, read 13,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bje333 View Post

Tks very much
bje333

I dont think you will have a problem per se. I was not driving like an idiot and did get the dirty looks and the finger a few times and at the time I did not know why. Then someone pointed out my TX plates. Changed plates and never gotten the finger again! It is funny however that when people ask me where I was before CO I tell them TX and they usually come back with a unusual remark. That said, people in CO are super friendly (and so they were in TX). But I am proud to call CO home these days :-)

Old 05-18-2013, 12:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Racism is far more rare in Denver (and Colorado as a whole) than in most areas in the midwest/south. You're an educated woman and there are tons of available men. I think you'll be able to pick whomever you would like to date. If you decide to date someone from another race, people are unlikely to look twice. Honestly, his friends are more likely to remember if you were attractive than what race you were.

I moved to Colorado after spending my young years on the west coast, and then several years in the Midwest. In the MW, racism was common. It's not common here. I was thrilled to leave the bigots behind. Date whoever you want. Hold hands, kiss in public, and no one will care.

My personal experience: In Iowa, educated black women are at a disadvantage. There are few educated black men for them to date, and racism prevents them from starting up interracial relationships. Educated black men have a similar disadvantage. Since racism keeps them from dating outside their race. Male or female, if you are an educated person of any minority, your odds of relationship success are higher by moving to a city filled with educated non-racist people. You'll find the pool of educated singles here includes people from every race. Most won't be concerned if your black, white, asian, mexican, or some other minority. If they see an educated and attractive single woman, they will be interested if they know she is available.

Last edited by lurtsman; 05-18-2013 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: grammatical correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver