Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:30 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,694 times

Advertisements

We've been looking very seriously at Stapleton lately, and I always try to do as much research as possible on something before making a final decision, but I admit to being enticed. The irony here is that the Stapleton area is not at all the kind of area I thought I would find myself attracted to, but after spending some time in the area, I was impressed. We're about to be married, contemplating kids in the future but just can't afford to live Downtown (or for that matter in Highlands or Washington Park and Capitol Hill, much as I like it, just doesn't suit our needs as far as space goes...we don't need a lot, but 400 - 500 square feet is just too tight.)

My question for current and former Stapleton residents is this: What's wrong with Stapleton? What's does the neighborhood do really well that you don't feel other neighborhoods do? What's on your wishlist...i.e, what would make Stapleton a better neighborhood? Do you find it too "Disneyland" or "Utopian", or do you think it just functions well for a certain type of personality?

I appreciate the adequate bus service to Downtown (where I work) as well as future rail (assuming, knock on wood, funding continues), as well as the parks and open spaces in the area without being uber-miles from the city center. The housing prices seem pretty reasonable considering the nature of the area (literally in some respects.) We also have some potential business interest in the area due to the local demographics. I'm not so sure about the business areas of Stapleton being planned for the periphery of the neighborhood rather than at the center, some of the HOA (MCA) fees (some areas as high as $200?), the "chain store" mentality (and I'm no fan of Northfield at all), and some of the potential issues about what city Stapleton is actually in (a couple different people have mentioned some potential future issues with Stapleton straddling Denver, Aurora and Commerce City, and we most certainly prefer to remain citizens of Denver proper.)

Not looking to start a fight about Stapleton here (I've seen those threads), but just looking for objective, insider points of view. Contributions about other neighborhoods nearby (and near downtown) are of course also welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetorun View Post
We have lived in Stapleton for a couple of years now. I don't really think there is anything wrong, at least for us.

We are close to the city. I can ride a bike downtown in 20 minutes. .... snip ....
I've lived in Stapleton for 5 years and I couldn't add anything more to what you've said. Pretty much my exact thoughts on Stapleton! And I love living here.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-06-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Wanted to chime and thanks for the responses as well as add a bump in case anyone else knows anything much about the area. So far the answers seem to line up exactly with my impression of the place.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:22 PM

56 posts, read 192,026 times
I agree with the others. I love the place. Its close to downtown, very clean and the people are friendly. Close to lots of stores.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 PM

6,792 posts, read 9,344,447 times
I think it's great overall, but I think my one complaint is that it's too expensive for me to afford, but then again, I can see why. I know there is some low income and income qualified housing there, but I'm stuck in the middle -- I make too much to qualify for that, but not enough to afford anything that isn't a small condo. I suppose, however, that it's something I can work toward!

I'm not really wowed by brand new homes in general, but I do like that the homes in Stapleton have character AND they're energy-efficient.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,734 times
Do you see couples in their 40s-50s WITHOUT children living in Stapleton? I find it hard to find information on this demographic.

In looking at at couple of townhomes here, I noticed that the taxes were much higher than in areas like Cherry Creek and Capitol Hill. Would like to know the reason if anyone can provide it.

Thank you.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 AM

I have noticed a few 40s-50s without children in the Stapleton area, though definitely in the minority. That said, I didn't get any vibe suggesting 40s-50s without children were unwelcome...in fact, it seems like a great place for anyone that has an active and outdoors lifestyle (and doesn't mind that there ARE a lot of kids in the neighborhoods.)

That said, I noticed far fewer kids in the Lowry area, and though it's hard to tell it seemed like a more "adult" community for anyone from about age 25 on up. Take that with a grain of salt, of course, as it's only an impression I've had from looking through Lowry a few times.

I'm not sure about the taxes at Stapleton, though there are homeowners fees...those seemed pretty reasonable for the benefits, though. I'll let someone else speak to the taxes.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I have noticed a few 40s-50s without children in the Stapleton area, though definitely in the minority. That said, I didn't get any vibe suggesting 40s-50s without children were unwelcome...in fact, it seems like a great place for anyone that has an active and outdoors lifestyle (and doesn't mind that there ARE a lot of kids in the neighborhoods.)

That said, I noticed far fewer kids in the Lowry area, and though it's hard to tell it seemed like a more "adult" community for anyone from about age 25 on up. Take that with a grain of salt, of course, as it's only an impression I've had from looking through Lowry a few times.

I'm not sure about the taxes at Stapleton, though there are homeowners fees...those seemed pretty reasonable for the benefits, though. I'll let someone else speak to the taxes.
I think we pay higher taxes to pay for infrastructure, schools, etc. within the Stapleton development.

40s-50s w/out kids is uncommon, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't like living here. Most of the gay couples living here don't have kids, and I know a couple houses with straight couples who never want kids. And there are retired couples here and there.

Never thought about Lowry, but I drive through it at least 4 times a week and now that I think about it, it does seem rather quiet and kid-less.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 PM

227 posts, read 1,008,949 times
As someone who was recently looking around a lot of the new construction neighborhoods I didn't like Stapleton for a couple reasons. I didn't like the predominance of alley-load homes and the small yards. The homes looked ok, some looked like they were trying to be too old fashioned but they were just too close to each other for that kind of price. Some other new neighborhoods have all the same energy efficient standards included. Dollar for dollar, Stapleton is just too high a cost of living for me.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think we pay higher taxes to pay for infrastructure, schools, etc. within the Stapleton development.

40s-50s w/out kids is uncommon, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't like living here. Most of the gay couples living here don't have kids, and I know a couple houses with straight couples who never want kids. And there are retired couples here and there.

Never thought about Lowry, but I drive through it at least 4 times a week and now that I think about it, it does seem rather quiet and kid-less.
Wouldn't the taxes be the same as everyone else's in Denver? Or do you have some special taxing districts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver