Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:33 AM

9 posts, read 18,862 times

Advertisements

Floridian moving to denver area around august any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Purchase some chapstick, buy a humidifier, allow for time to get used to the higher altitude.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,825 times
I've lived in Florida and Colorado.

Get rid of your flip flops. You won't need em all that much in CO.

:/

Seriously, your winter attire will soon be quite different than what was required in Florida.
I'm a Gulf Coaster too and the biggest problem I had was dry skin, when I moved to Colorado
and the lack of winter gear was an issue the first winter I was there. Plan on getting some "winter clothes"
like never before.

Everyone says "its a dry cold" and act like it isn't cold. Bullcookies. It gets colder than Coors light cans but it is
your fingers that turn blue.

I really loved seeing mountains but I got tired of sneax in about a minute and a half.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
We lived south of Denver, CO for 5 1/2 years, now live in Jax, Florida. We loved it there, but the winters, combined with our ages (late 50's) plus two surgeries got the best of us......had to move out. I had. In fact, one surgery was due to a fall in ice/snow in our driveway! And, no matter how much people downplay the winter weather there, we have photos and video to prove them all WRONG. Snow can come down so heavy and accumulate so much that a "Snow Day" has to be taken cause companies have to shut down. We wore winter parka's, had a snow-blower and both vehicles had snow tires on them. Kids love the snow, but they don't have to drive to work and back home in the stuff! The snow is absolutely beautiful during the Holidays, but during the rest of the time it can be a real headache! I was raised in northeastern Indiana and never seen snow on Halloween. Outside Halloween decor covered in snow is really weird looking! And, a temp of -10 at 3:30PM isn't fun either!
Good Luck and keep that snow shovel and ice scrapper handy!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,002,239 times
I just moved from Florida to Denver in August as a matter of fact and I like it so far. Granted I haven't been through a Winter here yet, but the temps where I would have normally been "cold" in Florida (30-40s) don't feel cold here at all. Not sure if that just means i'm used to it or if it has to do with the humidity.

I've been skiing here a lot over the years so I think I know somewhat to expect, my opinion is the heat in Florida is way more oppressive than the winter here. You can always put more clothes on, but when it feels like 120 and you are pouring with sweat after 2 minutes of being outside that's worse to me.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,778 times
Well, having been here for a month...and having lived with Florida humidity for 20 years, I keep having issues with the insides of my nose becoming chapped. Just about every morning I wake up, I sneeze out blood because my nose just gets so dry.

Some people complain about putting on lotion, but I dont mind that. Just means more trips to Bath and Body works!

Old 10-15-2010, 12:12 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Well, having been here for a month...and having lived with Florida humidity for 20 years, I keep having issues with the insides of my nose becoming chapped. Just about every morning I wake up, I sneeze out blood because my nose just gets so dry.

Some people complain about putting on lotion, but I dont mind that. Just means more trips to Bath and Body works!
- Any basic drugstore saline spray will help with the nose, as will having a good humidifier in the winter. Then, there is Ayr brand saline gel and also Ayr brand spray saline nasal gel. The gels last longer than the basic sprays. Give one of those a try and see how it goes. Most people eventually acclimate to the dry air, though most of us use a whole house humidifier whenever the heat is on.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I just moved from Florida to Denver in August as a matter of fact and I like it so far. Granted I haven't been through a Winter here yet, but the temps where I would have normally been "cold" in Florida (30-40s) don't feel cold here at all. Not sure if that just means i'm used to it or if it has to do with the humidity.

I've been skiing here a lot over the years so I think I know somewhat to expect, my opinion is the heat in Florida is way more oppressive than the winter here. You can always put more clothes on, but when it feels like 120 and you are pouring with sweat after 2 minutes of being outside that's worse to me.
I do think a Florida summer (especially down in the peninsula) is more oppressive than a Colorado winter.
Freezing temps do not feel as cold in Colorado.
Colorado winters are rarely oppressive, and often sunny and open.
It's just that they can begin very early (http://cbs4denver.com/weatherupdates/weather.90.degrees.2.1158499.html - broken link), and end very late.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:21 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
It's just that they can begin very early (http://cbs4denver.com/weatherupdates/weather.90.degrees.2.1158499.html - broken link), and end very late.
well, atleast with the extreme temps in Florida....there isn't a need to plug in a car battery? And If you've got a garage, car with A/C and work in an office, one may never even feel the temp.

And if its so hot, hop in the pool or beach LOL

Old 10-15-2010, 03:03 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We lived south of Denver, CO for 5 1/2 years, now live in Jax, Florida. We loved it there, but the winters, combined with our ages (late 50's) plus two surgeries got the best of us......had to move out. I had. In fact, one surgery was due to a fall in ice/snow in our driveway! And, no matter how much people downplay the winter weather there, we have photos and video to prove them all WRONG. Snow can come down so heavy and accumulate so much that a "Snow Day" has to be taken cause companies have to shut down. We wore winter parka's, had a snow-blower and both vehicles had snow tires on them. Kids love the snow, but they don't have to drive to work and back home in the stuff! The snow is absolutely beautiful during the Holidays, but during the rest of the time it can be a real headache! I was raised in northeastern Indiana and never seen snow on Halloween. Outside Halloween decor covered in snow is really weird looking! And, a temp of -10 at 3:30PM isn't fun either!
Good Luck and keep that snow shovel and ice scrapper handy!
The worst part for me is trying to avoid the polar bears when walking my dogs during the winter months.

Your post is very misleading especially to someone looking for honest advice. How often do these "end of the world" snow storms occur? Or the -10 degree daytime temperatures? Without having the time or the care to research statistics, I'd say not very often. I've been here over 3 years and my company has never officially closed due to snow. You make it sound like it happens every day. The coldest average temperature in Denver is right around 30 degress. Every city/state has its anomalies with weather.

We get that you had bad experiences with Denver's winters but it's unfair to paint Denver as the arctic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver