Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,729 times

Advertisements

I just visited a link for "Palomino Park" and while it looked attractive it brought up questions that I have not thought of.

The biggest question, as always for me, is: Pet Friendly?

Aside from that, I noticed references to income limits. To be blunt, my only income is from dividends. I will not be able to draw on my pension or retirement plans for at least 10 years. But I have savings which I am prepared to draw on and live frugally. I can pay 20% down to buy and am looking at rentals (for just me) up to $1000.00.

The site also mentioned (I think it was 3 years) rental history. I have no rental history; have been a property "owner" for the last 25 years and mortage is almost paid off. Most likely I will receive account assets-again which can't be cashed in for several years and it is less likely I will receive a share of the current property.

Obviously I know nothing about renting.

Is proof of income a way to keep older people out? Can I just say(to landlord) here is 6 months or one year in advance?

Certainly I can't be the only one in this situation?! Or am I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:04 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Any good rental you look at is going to ask for credit report, income, rental history, etc. Obviously if you've been an owner, then you don't have rental history.

I suggest going in to the rental office there and talking with them. Of course, before you visit you should call and ask them your first question about pets. If they accept pets, then talking with them face-to-face you can perhaps come to some sort of agreement with them about the rest of your questions.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM

43 posts, read 147,529 times
Most places should be fine if you paid the rental time frame in advance...in fact, they may even give you a discount for paying up front. I was worried when I was going to rent my current apartment, as I was a property owner as well, and my only rental was back in college. They were fine with just seeing the contract with the sale of my townhome.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 AM

50 posts, read 119,109 times
Palomino allows pets, but they're not especially pet-friendly. They have the most restrictive pet rules I've seen. They allow up to two pets with a combined weight of no more than 35 lbs. They only allow pets in Green River (I think), and also I think the pet has to be older than one year so that you don't get around the weight limit by bringing in a puppy of a big breed. They require that you carry renter's insurance to live there, and I believe they require an extra pet rider on top of your liability policy. And of course, there are breed restrictions, but I think that's for compliance with local laws - so technically you couldn't own those breeds even in your own home.

They do have a fenced dog park, though. It's a short walk from Green River, along the fence with the golf course.

If you like Palomino, you might check out the idea of renting one of the condos in Gold Peak or Silver Mesa, instead of renting an apartment. Palomino is actually a mixed community with some owners and some renters. The pet restrictions might only apply to the rental properties.

We don't have pets, but we were thinking about getting a dog. Probably won't, as long as we rent at Palomino. We like big breeds.

I've heard one of the credit reporting agencies was going to start adding rent payments to people's credit reports this year - which implies that it hasn't been there in the past, and has therefore been unavailable to apartments screening new residents. So if your mortgage payments show up on your credit report, that's probably all they'll need to establish payment history.

Proof of income is a way to keep deadbeats who don't pay rent out, nothing to do with age. Every apartment is going to have some sort of limit, whether they explicitly state it or not.

We like Palomino a lot. I'd recommend it if it fits your pet needs.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,729 times
Thank you to all who replied!

I am looking for the quietest, safest complex. Underground parking is a deal breaker. Size is not important; under 1000sq ft is fine. Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Last edited by Alinka; 03-13-2011 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver