Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:39 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganWall View Post
I just wanna see the trango tower get built because cities like Cleveland, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Miami and New Orleans have a smaller populations but they all have way bigger towers than Denver I think a good high rise building would be cool for Denver because it seems like from far away all you can see are 3 buildings it would be nice if there were a few more buildings
Where do you get your info that those cities have "way bigger towers" then Denver? Except for Atlanta, Denver's skyline is very comparable to any of those cities right now. Hell, they are so comparable, that all it would take for Denver to beat most of those cities (height wise), would be to add several 100 foot tall antennas on top of a couple of Downtown buildings.

IMHO, Denver's skyline as it is, is one of the greatest for a city it's size. Just sayin.

1. Atlanta, Bank of America Plaza 1,023 ft. 55 floors.
2. Cleveland, Key Tower 947 ft. 57 floors.
3. Atlanta, SunTrust Plaza 871 ft. 60 floors.
4. Atlanta, One Atlantic Center 820 ft. 50 floors.
5. Minneapolis, IDS Tower 792 ft.57 floors.
6. Miami, Four Seasons Hotel & Tower 789 ft. 64 floors.
7. Minneapolis, Capella Tower 776 ft. 56 floors.
8. Minneapolis, Wells Fargo Center 773 ft. 57 floors.
9. Atlanta, 191 Peachtree Tower 770 ft. 50 floors.
10. Miami, Southeast Financial Center 764 ft. 55 floors.
11. Atlanta, Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel 723 ft. 70 floors.
12. Denver, Republic Plaza 714 ft. 56 floors.
13. Denver, 1801 California Street 709 ft. 53 floors.

14. Cleveland, Terminal Tower 708 ft. 52 floors.
15. Miami, Marquis Miami 700 ft. 63 floors.
16. New Orleans, 697 ft. 51 floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,681 times
When I was a kid, skyscrapers were my passion... They were truly one of the few American forms of architecture... Living and growing up in Denver, I had always hoped for more than what the early 1980s gave us... I have files and files of skyscrapers never built, but proposed, for Denver. I knew when I grew up I would be an architect designing skyscrapers.

I've been an architect for 15 years, haven't done anything except for two hotels in Denver more than 6 stories. And now that I understand the skyscraper economy, I dont think we "need" taller buildings to compete... Let oklahoma city get to 800 feet... Doesnt make me think for one minute their quality of life and things to do outshine Denver. Tall buildings don't necessarily equal great cities.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:20 AM

785 posts, read 1,882,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlobo71 View Post
When I was a kid, skyscrapers were my passion... They were truly one of the few American forms of architecture... Living and growing up in Denver, I had always hoped for more than what the early 1980s gave us... I have files and files of skyscrapers never built, but proposed, for Denver. I knew when I grew up I would be an architect designing skyscrapers.

I've been an architect for 15 years, haven't done anything except for two hotels in Denver more than 6 stories. And now that I understand the skyscraper economy, I dont think we "need" taller buildings to compete... Let oklahoma city get to 800 feet... Doesnt make me think for one minute their quality of life and things to do outshine Denver. Tall buildings don't necessarily equal great cities.
I agree that skyscrapers do not a great city make, but I don't think anyone said they did. I only started this from a purely aesthetic standpoint. Would Denver look nicer from afar with some taller scrapers? I don't care whether it's viable, or economical necessary, I'm just wondering what people's view is on whether it would improve the Denver skyline is.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Would Denver look nicer from afar with some taller scrapers?
It just depends on design and location. We keep bringing up Trango Tower and that would have been an eyesore no matter where it was built. Also, I know a lot here on C-D criticize Denver's skyline as being dated and "boxy". While it is easy tell that most of the buildings there were designed in the late 1970s and early 1980s, I still think it's a good looking cluster of buildings. I don't really think it needs a new tallest so much as a few new mid-rises that are well designed and add some newness to the skyline. A new tallest wouldn't break my heart, so long as it doesn't look ugly (read: isn't Trango Tower).

Old 05-08-2011, 01:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
I agree that skyscrapers do not a great city make, but I don't think anyone said they did. I only started this from a purely aesthetic standpoint. Would Denver look nicer from afar with some taller scrapers? I don't care whether it's viable, or economical necessary, I'm just wondering what people's view is on whether it would improve the Denver skyline is.
It depends. If done right, it could improve it. If don't wrong, it could make it look worse. I really don't see the need though. The Denver skyline looks great, just as it is. I think especially the "Cash Register" building looks very uniquely Denver. I guess if I'm trying to think of a way the skyline could look better. I think is too bad that more of the Downtown buildings don't have pointy things on top of them, or something. Just to add a little height, and make them look more unique. But the current size and mix of buildings looks fine to me.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:22 PM

345 posts, read 974,252 times
Rather than having a new tallest I would like to see more infill and get rid of the surface parking lots in the downtown area. Medium height buildings with some sort of architectural variety (rather than just a big box) just tall enough to add density to the skyline would...I think...look best.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusmgm View Post
Rather than having a new tallest I would like to see more infill and get rid of the surface parking lots in the downtown area. Medium height buildings with some sort of architectural variety (rather than just a big box) just tall enough to add density to the skyline would...I think...look best.
This seems to be the consensus and I think I agree now. I'm thinking now maybe between 4 and 8 scrapers of 160-200m would be good.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
I get pretty tired myself of the same 3 color medium height box buildings with "fins" every time a new building goes up. I'd also much rather see some medium height buildings with some character and unique architecture rather than the whole "modern CPV / LoDo" look that seems to be proliferating right now. Maybe a little more ornamentation or something bold...something that looks like it could last for more than 50 years.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I get pretty tired myself of the same 3 color medium height box buildings with "fins" every time a new building goes up. I'd also much rather see some medium height buildings with some character and unique architecture rather than the whole "modern CPV / LoDo" look that seems to be proliferating right now. Maybe a little more ornamentation or something bold...something that looks like it could last for more than 50 years.
Would you care to explain further what you mean by 'same 3 color medium height box buildings with "fins"' and '"modern CPV / LoDo" look'?

Old 05-08-2011, 07:58 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,814 times
More glassy condo towers like Glass House in CPV and the Spire would modernize the skyline. There is a current proposal for a slick solid glass office building and hotel at 18th & Curtis that would really be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver