Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,307 times

Advertisements

I frequently read posts asking about the schools and the school districts in Denver, and quite frankly, I am getting tired of typing the same stuff over and over. So here is an attempt to start a thread that will answer peoples' questions.

Since school districts in Colorado are organized differently than those around the country, I thought I would post this thread so people could find information about the schools districts that serve the Denver Metropolitan Area.

In Colorado, some districts were reorganized into a single district for the entire county (Denver, Jefferson, Douglas). These districts are much larger and serve a variety of communities.

In other counties (Arapahoe, Adams, Boulder) the districts were not consolidated countywide and as a result serve a single community or group of communities.

Also in Colorado, the school of choice law allows a parent to enroll their child in a school other than their neighborhood school or in another district on a space available basis.

Anyway here is a list of links to the various districts, I did this from memory, so I hope I didn't forget anyone.

Denver Public Schools (City and County of Denver)

Jefferson County Public Schools (West Metro Area, )

Douglas County Public Schools (extreme Southern Metro Area)

Sheridan Public Schools (South Metro Area)

Englewood Public Schools (South Metro Area)

Littleton Public Schools (South Metro Area)

Cherry Creek Public Schools (Southeast Metro Area)

Aurora Public Schools (East Metro Area)

Adams County District 1 - Mapleton Public Schools (North Metro Area)

Adams County District 12 (North Metro Area)

Adams County District 14 - Commerce City (Northeast Metro Area)

Adams County District 27J - Brighton Public Schools (Extreme Northeast Metro Area)

Adams County District 50 - Westminster (North Metro Area)

Boulder Valley School District - (Extreme Northwest Metro Area)

St. Vrain School District - (Extreme North Metro Area)

Archdiocese of Denver Schools (Catholic Schools in Northern Colorado)

As to the quality of the districts, and who has the best programs...

Let the debate begin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:47 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,003 times
Map:

Good memory. I think you only missed Mapleton, Brighton and Elizabeth.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
The map is great, it spares me from saying that some of the descriptions were a little vague.

I don't think anything would be gained by a "best schools" debate. It would be very divisive and nothing would be concluded. Personal anecdotes would abound, such as, "My kid went to Gateway High School in Aurora and went to Harvard, so don't say APS is a bad district", etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver