Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 AM
pth

274 posts, read 458,638 times

Advertisements

[quote=KellyDenver;20190743]Charlotte was far too similar to the rest of NC for me, and I was looking to grow. In terms of NC, (and I was born and raised there, NC resident for 23 years), Charlotte is the only city with somewhat of a big city metro feel.But at the end of the day, it felt like just another college town to me. Raleigh definitely never did it for me. It's a fine place to raise a family but as a young professional there are much better opportunities elsewhere. NC is small-time. If you want bigger things, you need bigger places.

quote]

While I agree with the denver info and the 'bigger things' statement..I must say that as far as 'opportunity' is concerned, Raleigh/Durham consistently has one of the top job markets in the nation..over and over again. And the night-life ain't too shabby either after having gone to NC State. As for non-job related, outdoor opps, denver is much better! Most of the outdoor rec stuff will be at least an hour away from rdu. I see what you're saying though, as I feel the same way. I love asheville though so I might end up there before heading out west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 AM

230 posts, read 408,780 times
I wonder if it's different depending on where you are in life.... I'm looking for that place to live that affords not only outdoor opportunities and a healthy economy, but long term, a place to retire. by place to retire, I mean not shoveling snow as much as we do in WI, earlier spring, flowers in March....right now I could see myself hiking and enjoying Denver, and continuing to enjoy a blizzard now and then , 10 years from now, I'm not so sure about that.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:56 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
dmiller, IMO you won't see an earlier spring at this altitude, nor flowers in March. You will shovel less because puffy low-moisture snow here melts out rather quickly in the strong sunlight.

If you search on words like FLOWERS or GARDENING you should find some threads that discuss such issues and timelines.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks Mike, good to know. It's something I remember from living in TN. same latitude.... probably not the same elevation?

or maybe it's just that sometimes, flowers arrive in March in Tennessee, whereas in WI, they NEVER do LOL.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 AM

AHHH I thought you were talking about NC. I was talking about NC. I KNOW that about Denver, LOL. I was considering NC too.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
I spent 5 years in Fayetteville (Air Force), and 3 years in Greensboro/Charlotte. NC was okay and all, but I like Denver a lot more.

Being a young black guy, I could definitely sense racial tension sometimes (and for the record, I HATE it when black people play the race card, but racism was definitely present in certain parts of NC). I also don't miss the humidity. Throw in there isn't much to do outside of Charlotte/Raliegh-Durham/east carolina and I don't miss NC one bit.

Denver alone trumps the entire state of NC, in my opinion. LOL.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 AM
pth

274 posts, read 458,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I spent 5 years in Fayetteville (Air Force), and 3 years in Greensboro/Charlotte. NC was okay and all, but I like Denver a lot more.

Being a young black guy, I could definitely sense racial tension sometimes (and for the record, I HATE it when black people play the race card, but racism was definitely present in certain parts of NC). I also don't miss the humidity. Throw in there isn't much to do outside of Charlotte/Raliegh-Durham/east carolina and I don't miss NC one bit.

Denver alone trumps the entire state of NC, in my opinion. LOL.
Sounds like you didnt go to asheville, so your point is moot. hahaha

Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Okay, you've got me there. Asheville is beautiful. The mountains. Biltmore. Been there several times. Most beautiful part of NC, in my opinion.

Eastern Carolina is nice as well. As a kid, we used to drive down every summer from DC and rent a beachouse in the Outer Banks.

And I didn't mean to come across as being negative in my post above. NC has some nice areas. raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Eastern Carolina (the beaches), Asheville, etc.

But now that I'm in Denver, I'd NEVER go back to Carolina. Like it A LOT more here.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:28 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
I moved from Va., southern Va and I will never go back east except for a funeral.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
wow...Newhandle.....Love Denver that good.....what part of virginia did you move from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver