Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,738 times

Advertisements

What do you think about the move.....Is Denver all that and more? or do you want to move back to the Carolinas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM

8 posts, read 18,073 times
Ahh so glad to find this post! I moved to Denver from Wilmington, NC about 6 months ago (2/1/11)- and it was the BEST decision I EVER MADE! Don't get me wrong, I'm a coastal NC girl at heart, but the opportunities here are so much greater. I moved here with no job, found one IN MY FIELD, within 4 weeks. It was wonderful. It's a large exciting city without feeling unsafe. It's beautiful- I live in a postcard. Best part- NO HUMIDITY! I visited NC in my and getting off the plane and stepping into that thick humid air made me nauseous. Blech. I'm never leaving Denver. It's such a green, healthy place. It's turned me into a more active, healthy person. I hike now, and spend a lot more time outdoors. I can't say enough about it. I am BEYOND happy here. GOODBYE CAROLINA!!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:32 PM

How does it compare to Charlotte?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 AM
pth

274 posts, read 459,257 times
great thread, needs more responses! How accessible is everything from the city? The thought of having both the mountains and the city life at my fingertips is incredibly enticing.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM

230 posts, read 409,046 times
I like this thread too. We are considering both places. I like humidity, my family does not We all love outdoor activities. Either place sounds great for that!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
pth

274 posts, read 459,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
I like this thread too. We are considering both places. I like humidity, my family does not We all love outdoor activities. Either place sounds great for that!
Where are you considering in NC? I can fill you in on those details. And I have a degree in outdoor leadership so I can hook you up with the lay of the land in NC as it pertains to all the outdoor-fun-ness we have to offer.

Even though I'm looking to move. hahahah

I've been here all my life except for a short stint in burlington, vt...which is amazing, by the way. So it's time to spread my wings.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 PM

230 posts, read 409,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
Where are you considering in NC? I can fill you in on those details. And I have a degree in outdoor leadership so I can hook you up with the lay of the land in NC as it pertains to all the outdoor-fun-ness we have to offer.

Even though I'm looking to move. hahahah

I've been here all my life except for a short stint in burlington, vt...which is amazing, by the way. So it's time to spread my wings.
We are looking at Raleigh Durham area. My company has an office there, as well as one in Boulder, among other places. I need an airport nearby.

I posted in the Raleigh forum, we are visiting NC in the fall and looking for things to see to check out the area!

Would love tips!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
How does it compare to Charlotte?
Charlotte was far too similar to the rest of NC for me, and I was looking to grow. In terms of NC, (and I was born and raised there, NC resident for 23 years), Charlotte is the only city with somewhat of a big city metro feel.But at the end of the day, it felt like just another college town to me. Raleigh definitely never did it for me. It's a fine place to raise a family but as a young professional there are much better opportunities elsewhere. NC is small-time. If you want bigger things, you need bigger places.

And Denver is the perfect city to start.

Denver is one of the top cities least affected by the poor economy. Price of living is amazing compared to most cities of it's size and population (for example, I lived right by UNCW's campus in Wilmington, and I'm living in the middle of downtown Denver for roughly the same price!) and crime is low. Not to mention it is one of the cleanest, "Greenest" cities in the country!

Denver receives 300 days of sunshine a year
Denver is the nation's most highly educated city with the highest percentage of high school and college graduates.
Denver brews more beer than any other American city.
Denver has the largest city park system in the nation with 205 parks in city limits and 20,000 acres of parks in the nearby mountains.
Denver is the "Baby Boomer" capital of America with the highest percentage of boomers of any major U.S. city.
Denver is 20th in the U.S. in population, but has the 10th largest downtown in terms of office space and retail space.
Denver has the nation's second largest performing arts center. The Denver Performing Arts Complex has eight theaters seating over 9,000 people.
Denver citizens contribute more public funding for the arts per capita than any other U.S. city.
Denver has the thinnest residents of any U.S. city, according to a federal study.
Denver really is a mile high. There's a spot on the west steps of the State Capitol building that is exactly 5,280 feet above sea level.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
great thread, needs more responses! How accessible is everything from the city? The thought of having both the mountains and the city life at my fingertips is incredibly enticing.
Very accessible! The lightrail system is in the early stages in comparison to places like san fran, nyc, or Boston, but I lived in the Denver Tech Center (20-30 mins South of Downtown) WITHOUT my car for two months, and managed just fine with the lightrail, buses and cabs.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 AM

Wow!!!!Thanks for the info....Stuck in Charlotte right now waiting for house to sell.....But looking to relocate out west....The way you describe it....makes me wish I would have tried to relocate sooner. Like yourself, I am a native of NC....been here whole life.....but honestly...cant stand it anymore........Really think I've outgrowned the city.....Time to move on......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver