Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 PM

127 posts, read 434,166 times

Advertisements

I originally grew up in the Northwest(Portland, OR), have lived throughout the Phoenix Metro area and it's outskirts for the last 15 years and will be Calling Denver home in the latter part of 2008.

Regardless of what you hear from other posters about it's brown here, If you live anywhere in the Northern suburb area's the landscape is dominated by the Sonoran Desert. This is only found in parts of Arizona and New Mexico and is considered one of the more green/lush Desert Environments with native desert plants that do display a variety of different colors at differing times of year. On the other hand, the Rocky Mountains have to be the most Spectacular/Awe inspiring natural wonder that I have always been drawn too.

To me, Phoenix was more charming when we first moved here and still had that small town feel about it. I believe T-Fox said it right that the Phoenix Metro area Feels like a collection of Suburban cities merged together. Alot of them having around 120,000 plus people each in farther outskirts like Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Etc. Arizona leaders always kept stating that "We do not want to follow the growth pattern of Los Angeles but it has copied that footprint with staggering similarities. The area has always had the resorts and alot of people are excited about all the new shopping development that has come and is currently continuing. The trend with the new developments all seem to cater to the upscale/high end and not toward the more neutral or affordable. Phoenix did try/hope that they could emulate Colorado's LoDo area of Coors Field of converting old warehouse buildings into shopping, Restaurants and Lofts but it has been a slow slow process and just isn't quite the same. There are many things that do happen in Phoenix but like the city itself, they are spread out and not conglomerated into one central area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 11:52 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Default Phoenix Or Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamontesareforever View Post
If you had a choice of either Denver or Phoenix with all reasons aside that keeps you on one place over the other such as your family, your friends, your job, whatever it might be what would you prefer? You can take your family, friends, and your career with you. Would you stay or go? Intangibles like schools, weather, crime, economy, nightlife, recreation all matter. Answers from those who've spent time in both would be appreciated. I have to take on a job that requires relocation from Chicago to one of the two.
Denver!!!!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 AM

23 posts, read 214,372 times
I'm sure if you asked this question on the phoenix board, you'll get a differernt response. We just visited Denver last weekend. To be honest, I was not impressed with Highlands Ranch (where we thought we'd buy a house). Then we took a drive to Lone Tree, man, I loved it, especially the views....
We are still deciding to stay(Phx) or go (Denve). We have a lot of friends in Phx and like the excitement of the growth here, but the heat and dust is what's driving us out. Decisions, decisions.... I guess my advise is figure out your priorities and the price (not just monetary) you're willing to pay for these priorities and then decide. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver